Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been researching bikes to buy once my son buys my '02 Bayliss. One of my first choices has been a SS1000DS. I've noticed that apparently the '03-04 models make less HP than the '05-06 models. Is that accurate? If so, why? Any other differences?

·
Banned
2,916 Posts
there is no difference in parts or power output between a 2003
and a 2005 SS 1000 DS,, no evolution took place at all, it is just
a matter of rear wheel hp versus crankshaft hp.

·
Banned
2,916 Posts
some evolution with the valve guides comes to my mind,
maybe some other stuff has been changed too, but nothing
power related as far as i know.

:think:

·
Registered
665 Posts
some evolution with the valve guides comes to my mind,
maybe some other stuff has been changed too, but nothing
power related as far as i know.

:think:
As Muschi said above, power is the same on all SS1000ds engines regardless of the year model. Those extra ponnies were discovered by the marketing team :D:p.

Some of the first 1000ds engines had issues with soft valve guides but this was fixed soon (if the engine has soft valve guides the work is covered under warranty).

Also, since 2006 there's wider machining in the cylinder head for a stronger closing rocker spring for euro 3 emissions, so the cams have slightly different dimensions. I think it's possible to combine new-old cams/heads but it will need the right cam end caps.

I cannot think of any other changes now.

:)

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Now to suspension: is there a difference between stock forks and shocks over the years? I am under the impression that the later ones had Ohlins and the former had Showa forks and Sachs/Boge shock.

BTW, why is it I can't find any SS1000DS's for sale?

·
Registered
665 Posts
SuperSports (since 1998) with Ohlins shock as standard:

--2002 SS900
--2003 SuperSport 800 (different compared to the Sport 800)
--All SS1000ds since 2003

SuperSports with Adjustable Showa forks:

--All SS900 since 1998
--2003 SuperSport 800 (read above)
--All SS1000ds since 2003 (the forks fitted on the 1000 are better compared to the other SSs).

You won't find as many 1000 to buy because it didn't sell that well and whoever actually got one is very reluctant to sale :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts