Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[I'm probably writing this more to just make myself feel better, but if you have any advice, shoot it my way!!]

Bottom Line Up Front:: Del Amo doesn't value its customers, but pretends it does

I've had an interesting experience with Del Amo Motorsports over the past two weeks. I'd like to share the experience to get a feeling for whether my expectations for customer service are too high, or if I have a legitimate complaint.

On Friday the 6th of March, I went to Del Amo Motorsports to purchase a new rear tire for my 1098. I figured I had about 500 miles left on it, but wanted to get it changed out anyways. I was told that they didn't carry the OEM tire, but that if I payed for it now, they could special order it and it would be there in a week.

I also wanted to get my suspension set up, so I asked if I could do that at the same time. The response was that the main Ducati tech was on vacation, but would be back on the 19th.

I purchased the tire, and told them I'd be back on the 19th to get it put on and my suspension adjusted.

On Friday the 13th, I was out of town on business and got a call from Del Amo. The sales person asked me if I had made an appointment to get my tire put on. We had the same conversation, and he said that he'd see me Thursday and that I would get a call back to confirm my appointment.

I never received a call back, but I assumed that this wasn't a big deal.

Riding around on the 14th, I noticed that my tire was too low on tread for me to be comfortable, so I decided to get the tire replaced now, and come back for the suspension work. I dropped the bike off, they agreed to have it done by the 15th, and I left.

Two hours later, I received a call from Del Amo asking why I brought my bike in early. I explained my position, and the rep told me that they didn't have my tire. He said that on the 13th, a customer wanted to take his bike to the track and needed a tire, so they called to ask me when I'd be coming in. Since I said Thursday, they decided to sell him my tire and order a new one for me, thinking that I wouldn't notice. I asked the manager why they didn't just tell me that on the phone, or when I was dropping my bike off, and he said that was a fair complaint. He then told me that my tire would be in on Wednesday, and that I could have my bike back by Thursday. I'm missing my bike for 4 days because of Del Amo.

So I feel like Del Amo was a little bit dishonest with me, but the manager asked for me to come in and talk to him to try to make things up to me.

I showed up there today, and the manager wasn't in (he'd been up all night doing inventory), so I talked to the sales person about the situation/schedule/pricing. The sales person proceeds to tell me four times in a row that its not his fault because I said I'd be in Thursday, and he gave my tire away to a very important customer. Now that just pisses me off!!!

I've spent a LOT of money at the store. To hear that my tire was given away to someone else just enrages me. I came in early, I paid for the tire up front, I waited for delivery, I've spent $30K+ at the store, and after all that, they just give my tire away to someone else?

After hearing the sales person make his excuses, I told him that he needed to look at me and tell me he messed up. Only after I told him that's what I wanted to hear did he say he was wrong. Then he made his excuse again.

So how does this store make you guys feel? Am I being a needy customer?? (probably a little) Would you guys react the same/differently? Should I ask for some sort of compensation? If so, what?

I will definitely not go to Del Amo for anything anymore, and honestly, I will tell my friends who are looking at the 848 and 1198S to go to Brea, PI, or Spectrum for their purchases.

PS - this is the same place that had to replace my right side fairings on my 749 after they forgot to fasten it correctly after an oil change, and they folded back while I was on the freeway.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Here's my take. That a customer that you sold an ordered item to a "very important client" is mistake one. You're saying that some customers are more important than others. Not to mention the very act of selling an item, ordered by one individual to satisfy the so-called immediate need of another, without so much as a phone call to the first party to ask if its alright is second mistake. After all you paid for the item - technically its yours. They gave away your property. then to argue that they are in the right because it was a very important customer, is ridiculous, only to offer up an apology after extreme coercing - third mistake. Personally to make the situation right, there needs to be a discount on that tire and some acknowledgement of mistake other than just lip service.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Im with you on the excuses part of the deal... I cant stand for someone to tell me how its not thier fault when all I really want to know is how they are going to fix the situation.
but I dont see them selling your tire to someone else as dishonest. They kinda robbed one customer to make another happy and you caught them on it. The only question in my miond is how bad to you want to continue doing buisiness with them and how bad do they want you business? The awnser should dictate thier response. I would ask the manager (not some counter jockey) and see what he thinks the right thing to do is.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
You asked for it to be ready on the 19th.

You showed up earlier.

As long as the tire is there on the 19th, they are correct.

Tom
Technically, he told them he'd like to get the tire on and his suspension adjusted at the same time. And THEY told him he couldn't do that until the 19th. They probably told him the tire would be a 2-3 days delivery before it was in when they told him it had to be ordered. Granted that's quesitonable whether that was told or not. By I digress, they played with merchandise he ordered, and got burned. Personally I'd be pissed. I have had it happen before where I've ordered something for a car. they called it was in, I told them I'd be by on the weekend to pick up, because it was a haul to the dealership. And they used the part in a shop repair thinking they'd get another one by the weekend. They didn't and since it was an older model it would be 2-3 week lead time for any other in the US distributor. So i was down for another 2-3 weeks continuing to borrow the car.

·
Chilehead
6,980 Posts
I purchased the tire, and told them I'd be back on the 19th to get it put on and my suspension adjusted.
Says it all there.

A customer orders something, and says they will get it on a certain day.

What they do before said day is up to them.

Tom

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Says it all there.

Tom

Yeah, that's the gray area. I did agree to the 19th. They said the tire would be there on the 11th. Since they never told me anything different, I could assume that they're expecting me on the 19th, but that the tire is there on the 11th. I understand what they tried to do. I just don't like it. Your argument is logical, but it probably wouldn't win you a lot of repeat customers (unless you're the nearest Ducati dealer for 50 miles ha ha)

If they had told me exactly what they were doing, I could have asked for a refund, and purchased my tire from a store nearby (or online for cheaper) and had my tire on in less time.

I'm upset because they weren't up front with me, their intentions weren't transparent, I'm without my bike for 5 days (I love her), and the "counter jockey" looked me in the face and made excuses over and over.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I think the dealership is total out of line. I think it’s irrelevant you showed up early, they told you the tire would be there on the 11th. If you want to drop in early that’s your decision, not theirs. Now if they don’t have time to mount the tire that’s different because you may need an appointment. Had that happened to me I would told them to refund me the price of the tire and gone someplace else to buy it.

Maybe it’s just me but I feel a lot of dealerships forget they are in a service industry; as in they serve me, the buyer.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
The dealer was trying to make two people happy. Since your tire service wasn't scheduled until later they sold it to make someone else happy and planned to have yours in when they needed it. You threw a wrench into the works by showing up earlier than planned.

I don't see that as something to get worked up over, sorry. They are a motorcycle dealership just trying to make a living, I don't see any desire to rip anyone off. I would try to keep big things big and small things small. The weather here sucks so bad I can't even go for a ride, consider yourself lucky!

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Says it all there.

Tom
Not true, unless he didn't pay for the tire in advance. If he paid for the tire in advance then there is an expectation that the tire ordered is his property. Just like if he ordered and paid for the tire in advance and then decided against the buy, they would probably charge him a restocking fee. As he later says the agreed arrival of the tire was the 11th. The 19th stipulation was for installation. When the tire arrived on the 11th, that tire was his property in holding by them until installation. That is of course IF he paid in advance, which most places make you do.

Additionally I would be pissed, basically being told in word, that my business is not as important as someone elses. That is just a piss poor attitude to have.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Not true, unless he didn't pay for the tire in advance. If he paid for the tire in advance then there is an expectation that the tire ordered is his property. Just like if he ordered and paid for the tire in advance and then decided against the buy, they would probably charge him a restocking fee. As he later says the agreed arrival of the tire was the 11th. The 19th stipulation was for installation. When the tire arrived on the 11th, that tire was his property in holding by them until installation. That is of course IF he paid in advance, which most places make you do.

Additionally I would be pissed, basically being told in word, that my business is not as important as someone elses. That is just a piss poor attitude to have.
That isn't what they said, according to the account. This reminds me of why I'm not in retail.

Property does not belong to the customer until ownership is transferred. Let's say there's a theft, who's tire did they steal? If it was his they wouldn't be legally obligated to replace it.

·
Registered
325 Posts
The dealer was trying to make two people happy. Since your tire service wasn't scheduled until later they sold it to make someone else happy and planned to have yours in when they needed it. You threw a wrench into the works by showing up earlier than planned.

I don't see that as something to get worked up over, sorry. They are a motorcycle dealership just trying to make a living, I don't see any desire to rip anyone off. I would try to keep big things big and small things small. The weather here sucks so bad I can't even go for a ride, consider yourself lucky!
I totally agree. I'm in retail and the best way to keep people coming back is to keep them happy (obviously.) When you deal with as many customers on a daily basis as a dealership does, you have to get creative sometimes to keep everybody happy. Occasionally that backfires and you have a situation like this one. I don't think think the dealership did anything wrong in giving the tire to another customer if they knew they could have another tire in time for the scheduled appointment. However, they did handle it poorly when things went differently than expected. They should have been upfront when you came to drop off the bike, accepted blame and apologized up and down for the inconvenience. And you should NEVER NEVER NEVER tell a customer that they are less important than another customer.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
That isn't what they said, according to the account. This reminds me of why I'm not in retail.

Property does not belong to the customer until ownership is transferred. Let's say there's a theft, who's tire did they steal? If it was his they wouldn't be legally obligated to replace it.
In some states ownership is transferred at the time of payment, even on pre-order. PA for example. If I order something for somebody, and trade it off to somebody else, evne if I intend to replace it, I've still traded off somebody elses property by the law. And as far as theft, it is like somebody's bike to be repaired. It is your property in their stewardship. In theft they would be responsible.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
I totally agree. I'm in retail and the best way to keep people coming back is to keep them happy (obviously.) When you deal with as many customers on a daily basis as a dealership does, you have to get creative sometimes to keep everybody happy. Occasionally that backfires and you have a situation like this one. I don't think think the dealership did anything wrong in giving the tire to another customer if they knew they could have another tire in time for the scheduled appointment. However, they did handle it poorly when things went differently than expected. They should have been upfront when you came to drop off the bike, accepted blame and apologized up and down for the inconvenience. And you should NEVER NEVER NEVER tell a customer that they are less important than another customer.
The shops I've worked at had a policy. If somebody order's something, its theirs, no trade offs. If somebody was in need of a part badly, and someone had ordered the part and was in waiting that customer was either directed to order one as well of the pre-ordered party was at least contacted to see if they would mind if their part was used to fulfill the immediate need. Like I said in PA tings may be a little more stringent, and they were just covering their asses. But I think it just good business.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
In some states ownership is transferred at the time of payment, even on pre-order. PA for example. If I order something for somebody, and trade it off to somebody else, evne if I intend to replace it, I've still traded off somebody elses property by the law. And as far as theft, it is like somebody's bike to be repaired. It is your property in their stewardship. In theft they would be responsible.
In this example a XYZ tire was purchased, all that they owe the purchaser is a XYZ tire. Not necessarily THAT specific tire. There was nothing illegal about it.

True, it wasn't handled well by the salesguy but I think in saying that it was sold it to an important person, it's possible that he was trying to say that it was with no small consideration that they let the tire go, not that he was so much more important.

·
Registered
578 Posts
What I dont like about Del Amo is how they will tell you they can get you the deal you want on a new bike right up front, when in reality they cant. When I was looking for a place to buy my 848, I called them, Spectrum motorsports, Pro Italia, and Beverly Hills Ducati. I told all of them that I would be buying all cash, and I wanted to pay no more than 14 grand for the bike. Of all of them, Del Amo was the only one who said yes, all the other dealers thought about it and said they couldn't go that low. I really dont think Del Amo would have sold me the bike for that price anyway, but at least the other dealers answered honestly and told me that they couldn't do it at that price. Del Amo was following the classic dealer tactic of saying anything over the phone to get you in. I really didnt appreciate that, and don't think most buyers would either. I actually ended up buying from an out of state dealer, (Bend Euro Moto in Oregon) and saving a TON but having some challenges in registering the bike for use in Cali as it was an out of state bike. But that's another post in itself.

·
Registered
203 Posts
This is my take owing a dealership. I think what they did ( selling the tire to someone else ) is fine and a good thing. You were not planned to come in and this guy needed a tire so no harm no foul, make 2 people happy. This happens all the time and no one knows about it.

Anyway it went bad because you came in early and here is where they went wrong:

1: Telling you that your tire went to a VIP customer.....I am sorry but all of our customers get treated the same

2: Not being honest and just telling you what happened.

I am sure if they had just told you someone came in and needed the tire and they reordered it with plenty of time to get it in for your appointment that you would have been fine with the situation. If they had done this you could have weighed your options and made some decisions. They made them for you by not telling you the truth.

I would at this point tell you the full truth and give you the tire for a huge discount or maybe give you a coupon for a free oil change or something to show regret and guilt.

If i were you i would go speak to the owner because it is not fair to have a shop lose a customer at the hands of the employees. first of all the owner should be aware and i am sure this will get you their VIP treatment.

Give them another shot, if they duff it up call it a day and go find another shop.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts