Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is one of those Motowheels aluminium gas tanks from a few years ago. The mounting brackets and rubber bumpers are unmolested. But as seen in the attached photos it's a snug fit. I'm scaping up aluminum trying to mount it. How did everyone else get theirs mounted?

IMG_20200329_181848689_BURST000_COVER.jpg
IMG_20200329_181857452.jpg
IMG_20200329_183639183.jpg

·
Registered
6,584 Posts
Figure out what’s scratching it and cover it. You could cover it in PlastiDip.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good ideas. I'll temporarily line the affected scratched up spots with yogurt container plastic or something during mounting. Then remove it afterwards. The rubber bushings may be tall too. Or the tank out of spec.

Either way I'm powder coating the tank gloss black this week. I'll try mounting it again in few days.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Because the maker of the tanks didn't do very good QC it is a giant PIA to fit those alloy tanks. Mine was also too narrow to fit on the bike. I foolishly polished mine before trying to fit it to the bike and when I contacted Motowheels and returned it to them they wouldn't replace it because it was polished despite the (in my opinion) defective tank build. Instead they sent me a pair of crudely hacked up mounts that were narrowed enough for the tank to fit on...barely. So it can be done but it sure won't be a direct bolt on replacement. Also be aware that if the tank is touching any part of the bike's structure the vibrations will cause the tank to crack pretty quickly so be sure it is fully suspended on the rubber pucks. On the plus side it has worked flawlessly for the last 6-7 years since I got it installed.

·
Registered
766 Posts

You can see the tank is asymmetrical and I had to use a thicker rubber puck on the left side. I couldn't find a better pic of the tank installed, but it looks and functions great now. It holds considerable more fuel now as well.

Good luck!

·
Registered
766 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
473.1.562.1A for the right side and 473.1.563.1A for the left...but even these were too wide to fit my alloy tank without interference. You have to cut about 3/16" off the outer lip as shown in the photo I attached above. If you have the wider cups that Ducati offered as the cheap warranty "fix" for and expanded tank defect you'll have to cut even more off the lip. The cups are what is causing the scratches shown in the photo of your tank. I had to file, sand, smooth, prime and paint those hacked up cups Motowheels sent me before installing them on my bike BTW.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts