Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

861 - 879 of 879 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Thanks for the info Gents. I have been in touch with another Cerakote user in the UK and it would appear the people I sent the tank to are not official to cerakote but of course that doesnt mean they cannot use it it just means I'm a little more stuck regarding the product as cerakote will not accept any hassle. The new company have shown me tanks they have painted and they look totally different to how mine arrived. They feel somewhere along the line incorrect cleaning or prep or application has affected the finish and no way should it come off so simple.
I await some more information before making a decision however they said to preserve the reputation of cerakote they will give a generous cost for the coating of the tank.

For information here are pics of one they did on bare steel.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Bon Vivant
10,231 Posts
Because I was told clearcoat would not adhere to the ally so asked for recommendation and the advice given was to do this. Now I feel I was given incorrect info this is more of a decorative coating and not for the purpose of a fuel tank on a bike

Blacky I spent 12 years as a auto painter, Clear coat absolutely will adhere to the aluminum if it is properly prepped.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Blacky I spent 12 years as a auto painter, Clear coat absolutely will adhere to the aluminum if it is properly prepped.
Sorry Flyn my misinterpretation of the facts.
You are correct it will stick but if it chips it will bloom and lift. I've had 2 painters refuse to do it

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
As a former painter myself, the clear should adhere to the brushed aluminum just fine. Another thing that could be done to add further adhesion would be to first apply a coat of inter coat clear to the brushed aluminum. That's basically a clear paint. Then apply the top clear coat as usual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
400 Posts
Tank looking good Dave I bet you're well chuffed.

Sadly the fighters gone and I'm learning to ride a cycle to gain balance and strength but it's going to be a loooooong job.

Geoff...>:)

·
Registered
583 Posts
Thanks. Sent them a note from their website. Will let you know how that goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

861 - 879 of 879 Posts