Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently bought the aluminum coolant tank for my 748. I had blown through 8 in a couple years so I finally bought the aluminum one. Question, has any one bought one and installed it? I was told it was a tight fit, but this thing is not easy. I was able to get it in with a few issues.
1) the coolant hose on the right side should fit under the cross bar but the new tank won't allow it so it rest on top,(see photo). This caused a slight kink in the hose, but might be ok. It's in.
2) now the new problem, with the hose over the top cross bar the air intake does not fit properly. It's right up against the hose and when I force it, it crushes the hose even more.

I think this tank needed more development.

Can any one help me with this one.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
895 Posts
Where did you source it from?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Here is the photo with the air tube on. The aluminum tank does not fit fully between the lower curved guest plate and the back of the neck. So it sits up hight not allowing the hose to fit under the cross bar. Shortening the hose is not the issue, it's that it won't fit between the neck and gusset plate.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
895 Posts
Wow, goofy. Can you have the existing bung to that hose cut off and a 90 degree bung pointing down brazed on? More work than you should have to do, obviously, but is there room even for that?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks chuck. This is just what I need. Funny, I did a search for coolant tanks and did not get this thread. I'll retry this week with the instructions shown on the web site.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hi Rays748,

I just want to tell you that I am having the same kinds of problem than you with the installation of that tank on my 996.

Here is a good picture showing the interference on fitting the coolant right side hose :

From what I have read on this forum, we are now approx. seven people that have shown the same kinds of problems with that aluminum tank.

Here is a picture showing the result when following the instructions given to install the hose before pushing the tank up against the frame's neck :

By followings these steps, I was not able to put back the airbox without forcing everything...

So to doublecheck everything, I took all coolant hose off and just tryed to put everything back together and here the other bug I've found :

It is now impossible to re-connect the pressure sensor because of the tank interfering...

To be continued...

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have the instrcutions now. I was trying to make it fit like the OEM part, which is in between the neck and the lower gusset. With the instructions the aluminum tank will fit slightly outside the lower gusset and up against the air box. I'll try this week to re-do with this in mind and report back. I bought the black anodized w/out the pins for the temp sensor, so I have a little wiggle room in where I place it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hi dos531,

It would be really appreciated if you could post some pictures of the details of your installation...:)

How did you managed to re-connect the pressure sensor?

Best regards...

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, had some time today to try, yet again the aluminum tank. Pic below show how the original tanks fits. It fits symmetrically and with-in the neck and bottom curved gusset.

Attachments

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Aluminum tank fits a-symmetrically, and yes very tight.

Attachments

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So, because it sits crooked, the right side of the air box is pushed up against the corner of the aluminum tank. If i push on the air box to align my bolt holes my CF air box is flexing. I don't want to crack my air box. And because it is pushing so hard on that corner, imagine thru riding it and the flexing might pop a hole in the box or crack my CF box. I will work a little more to push the tank forward but it won't budge.

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
One thing I remember helping was pushing the tank forward and then tightening down the ignition on it to hold it in place. Then lining up the airbox was easy and minimal stress on it. It's an aftermarket piece and it doesn't fit perfect, but I've had no problems with it once installed and I've had the airbox out numerous times since then and never had trouble with it. Ill take asymmetrical to cracked and leaking any day!

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
It's in!!!!!

Let me say, as an architect and designer, this tank needs more development. It's in and I was able to wiggle the air box one bolt at a time. I had to bend the air Box with each bolt. I have not put double stick tape on the sensor yet, just happy the damn thing is in!!! I'm not a mechanic, but this should not have taken so much fussing to get it in. If the hose bib on the right side of the tank is shifted over to the left it would be a better fit and look good as well. Motowheels/Martin, hint, hint, hint. Pic below with it in.
Now time to go ride!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts