Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Remove guards

• Yes. Looks goofy

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • No. It's better than losing the bling tank on a lowside.

Votes: 10 83.3%
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just replaced my tank. Got credit for the old tank, so I upgraded. This is my track bike, and I know I'm going down soon or later, so I got the CF tank guards. I think they look odd. Thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Could you post a pic of the whole side view of the bike. It would make a differance on judging. But crash protection > looks.

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
Gonna need better pic. Is there an echo in here?

·
Registered
542 Posts
Will the pieces of carbon fiber actually resist wearing through while sliding across the track?

·
Registered
965 Posts
Will the pieces of carbon fiber actually resist wearing through while sliding across the track?
Just a little before you wear through the dent in the tank.

Need one more choice for the poll. It won't matter if the CF is on the tank or not in a low side.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
ugly and won't do fuck all in a crash.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I would look for a good sheet metal guy and see if some aluminum could be shaped and stuck to the sides for better protection. Tank looks cool though.

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
carbon abrasion resistance will be extremely poor. You need HDPE (like a frame slider) or aluminum or steel. Those can slide along on pavement and protect your tank. These carbon ones are better than nothing for sure. It will help, but not an engineered solution for the issue that you are worried about.

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
Ask around the Yamaha R6 guys from a few years ago (06-08 or so) had an issue with those tanks catching fire in low sides. I'm sure there were crash protectors for those and they might be willing to make some.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Just replaced my tank. Got credit for the old tank, so I upgraded. This is my track bike, and I know I'm going down soon or later, so I got the CF tank guards. I think they look odd. Thoughts?
How did you get credit for your old tank? My 1098 tank was recently replaced under warranty and I attempted several times to get Ducati NA to credit me my old tank against a new aluminum tank. I was told they couldn't do it. The Ducati NA rep at Ducati Island at Indy last year suggested that I try to sell my plastic replacement tank and use the money towards the purchase of an aluminum tank. I told him I thought that the market for people willing to buy swelling plastic tanks was probably very small and I wouldn't be very successful. What an aggravating situation!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How did you get credit for your old tank? My 1098 tank was recently replaced under warranty and I attempted several times to get Ducati NA to credit me my old tank against a new aluminum tank. I was told they couldn't do it. The Ducati NA rep at Ducati Island at Indy last year suggested that I try to sell my plastic replacement tank and use the money towards the purchase of an aluminum tank. I told him I thought that the market for people willing to buy swelling plastic tanks was probably very small and I wouldn't be very successful. What an aggravating situation!
Just had my dealer take a photo of my old tank [had a bump near the fuel cap] and had it sent to Ducati. I got approval for a replacement. Instead of getting the same stock tank back, I asked for the aluminum tank and paid for the difference. Because of the lawsuit, Ducati lowered the stock tank prices to 900-1200 [used to be around 2k], so if you want to upgrade, you are looking at 1K.

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
Say what you mean man, don't hold back!

oh & I agree, fuck all!

Craig
I actually shot pepsi outta my nose over this one......................

Better pic and yes they look alright but wonder how much it will prevent any impact damage. If they're good enough for Carlos they should be for you.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts