Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which is more desirable for a N/C, a alternator or magneto? I understand the differences between the two, I'm curious what everybody else thinks about this.

·
Registered
157 Posts
mag vs alternator (n/c)

I have about 10 n/c singles.I'm now retired, so for the next 5 yrs, the ones with no titles I will re build them with correct mags or alternators.
The ones with good titles will get alternators to have brighter lites to be ridden and enjoyed. Mag ingnitioned singles run ok, but have a terrible weak spark, and piss pore lites,that I wouldn' ride on the street. I couldn't afford all the dim lite tickets from the highway patrol,

·
Registered
350 Posts
Alternator singles are alot more street-able, theres no timing involved with the position of the flywheel on the crank like a mag.

Magnetos can be rewound for higher output (as can Alt's, I have done MANY)

But Battery/alternator igniton is easier and a bit more reliable overall-

Heres some Mags I re-wrapped when I worked at Syd's:

·
Registered
293 Posts
6 Volt mag works ok as long as it in good condition-my 450RT starts easily and runs up to 8,000rpm with no missfires. I will stick with the mag since I don't want to have to lug a battery about and although I have (feeble) lights I don't ride it at night. Mine is street titled by the way so it gets used (and ridden on track!)-got a 2 day MiniGiro weekend after next.

John

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
intermittent mag problem

I have a early 250 nc scrambler that I am running with full mag. Sometime it works (starts, runs, idles, etc.) fine and sometimes it just will not start. Any ideas ?

I am suspect that my coil is not an AC coil - but I have no way of telling. Any ideas about how to tell an AC coil from DC coil with a multimeter ?

·
Registered
281 Posts
The easy way with Ducati original coils is by color of the label, if there's any left. Red = DC (battery), green = AC (mag). That doesn't fully answer your question, but I'll look through my stacks for the resistance value difference, if I still have it.
Steve

·
Registered
59 Posts
AC coils and DC coils

The problem I am having is that the labels fall off after 30+ years and other than that, there does not appear to be any markings that would say a coil is AC or DC.

Having said that, I borrowed a coil that still has it's green label and I have a coil, that I am pretty sure is DC. Here is the resistence I found and would like someone to confirm or help us witht he correct resistence is.

AC and DC coil pin 1 to pin 15 (primary to ground) resistence is 2-4 Ohms

AC coil: primary to secondary coil (pin 15 to plug wire pin) (9K ohms)

DC coil: primary to secondary coil (pin 15 to plug wire pin) (6K ohms)

I am not sure what the numbers on the bottom mean, or if they can be used to differentiate between AC and DC coils.

I am going to run some 'field tests' this weekend with both coils, any thought would be appreciated !
Tony

1 - 7 of 7 Posts