Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As mentioned elsewhere I am having issues with the sheared adjuster bolts in my 900SS Alloy swing arm.

This led me to consider whether anyone has successfully fitted an alternative swingarm to a 95 era 900SS with relative ease?
Either from the Ducati range OR from an alternative brand?
And
If so what problems could I expect...?

Having browsed the shop that is Ebay last night I came across a couple of Ducati ones that looked like they might adapt however without dimensions, spindle sizes etc. nothing is certain.

The most likely, central shock mount being the only criteria I was paying much attention to, was from a 2014 821 Monster Dark. Not a clue how easy or not this would be.

There was also 696 Monster arms but their shock mount is off set...

Obvious alternatives may be from other SS variants though apart from steel ones there seems to be a dearth of obvious ones especially in the UK and shipping from the US is seriously expensive....

Again any suggestion or direction to alternatives gratefully received.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Just swap to the steel swingarm for the SS/CR. From what has been said by others the steel one will pretty much outlive the motorcycle. As far as some sort of reduced performance with the steel one, unless you're racing and struggling for tenths of seconds you will never be able to notice the difference in your bike's handling or accel/decel performance going from aluminum to steel.

·
Registered
756 Posts
This seller in Belgium has like Alibaba's cave when it comes to (older) Ducati parts.

100 euro will fetch you a brand new steel swingarm. (used only 30 euro)
ALuminium "slightly" more...

And only 600 euro for a DS swingarm, rare as hens teeth and probably the best you can get.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This seller in Belgium has like Alibaba's cave when it comes to (older) Ducati parts.

100 euro will fetch you a brand new steel swingarm. (used only 30 euro)
ALuminium "slightly" more...

And only 600 euro for a DS swingarm, rare as hens teeth and probably the best you can get.
That DS arm......:love:
Unfortunately 640 Euros is a bit more than I was planning on ...and I suspect I may struggle to explain...

Thanks for the link though will keep that tucked away for later.

·
Registered
1994 900SS CR, 2002 998 Trackbike
322 Posts
The CR / 750 model steel swing arm is certainly stronger, and is also essentially free on the used market. For a minor weight penalty. But it doesn't look as nice, so factor in that you probably want to get it painted or coated at least.

·
Premium Member
5,446 Posts
I would consider a steel swingarm in a second and if you have it powder coated they do not look bad. I doubt anyone could ever notice outside of aesthetics with the plus that the steel swingarms never had any issues that aluminum swingarms had. Though the oem chain adjustment side plates are poor (can be upgraded to billet if you can find them. That gets you back riding while you hunt down fixing the aluminum swingarm which you can tackle yourself in un-rushed spare time.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
I would consider a steel swingarm in a second and if you have it powder coated they do not look bad. I doubt anyone could ever notice outside of aesthetics with the plus that the steel swingarms never had any issues that aluminum swingarms had. Though the oem chain adjustment side plates are poor (can be upgraded to billet if you can find them. That gets you back riding while you hunt down fixing the aluminum swingarm which you can tackle yourself in un-rushed spare time.
Full-on agree. I have a 1996 CR with the steel swingin' arm ... I was able to locate a New/Old Stock set of those trick adjusters on eBay, cost me $80.00 shipped.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts