Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i had more problems with my fuel pump so i had to pull the fuel pump cover. Well I can't for the life of me get it to seal back up again. I am using new o-rings and i went through the five that i ordered. I'm not sure if maybe the inside where the o-ring seats is bent or what.

What my question is, is there another way anyone has sealed there tank with success, such as a gasket on top or with an epoxy sealant or something of that nature?

Thanks in advance, Kyle.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Safe yourself the trouble and have the Duc dealer do it. It's a very challenging task and if you dont do it right, you'll leak. I had mine done 4 months ago and it cost 1/2hr's charge from the Duc dealer. Best $60 I spent. Just my .02 cents.

·
Registered
790 Posts
How are you installing the assembly back?
Seriously, it's not a dealer's job.
If you can't put that back, I don't know what else you can't do 'coz it's one of the easiest jobs on the bike....

Go here

Here's how I did mine and as most guys on here do.

I got this little video clip where you can see how I resintalled it back (unless you already know how, but I don't know why you keep breaking the O-ring)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know how to do it, I've actually done it before but the o-ring will not seal..... I'm guessing the lip inside the tank is bent or something, which is why i'm looking for another way of sealing it.

·
Banned
2,888 Posts
Put a little grease or vaseline on the O-ring, it should make it go in a little better. If you attempt to seal the mating surfaces of the pump and tank, it will most likely fail as there are very few sealant materials that will hold up to gasoline. I have a Carbon tank that I sealed as you suggested and it failed before I even logged 200 miles on it.

You can also try longer screws to get it to go down evenly, then place the correct screws in once it's set and level. The grease should make the process just easy enough to get it done patiently.

Good Luck,

DT

·
Registered
797 Posts
Use grease on the O-ring and the sealing surface, start the o-ring on one side then continue to push down and start the bolts, somewhat evenly.
I've done wrecked tanks, new tanks, used tanks it works, but the grease is a must......

·
Premium Member
3,708 Posts
If there is something bent, don't try to seal it! Grease it up like they've said and install it. If there's something wrong, fix whatever is bent. Def not a dealer job.

·
9,757 Posts
I did it last week. I was a little too rough with it and ended up snapping the new o-ring I had bought, so I just lubed up the existing o-ring with a bit of grease, laid the tank down in the grass, and slowly worked the pump down with even pressure. No leaks, even with the old o-ring (lucky).

I think the key is to use a bit of grease on the o-ring as well as the lip of the tank so that the o-ring seats properly, cause you can still get the pump on even if the o-ring isn't seated properly. Even, steady pressure and grease is the key.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
790 Posts
He said He already knows how to do it.
He's just looking for another way to seal it like some gasket maker shit or something.

·
9,757 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well i cleaned up the tank and there it seems to be bent a little. I ordered another set of 5 o-rings and sanded down a scratch on the inside of the tank.

Gonna give it another try on thursday when the new o-rings come in. If people have really done this on damaged tanks with used o-rings, even if mine is a little bent it should seal. :abduct:

·
Registered
724 Posts
Well i cleaned up the tank and there it seems to be bent a little. I ordered another set of 5 o-rings and sanded down a scratch on the inside of the tank.

Gonna give it another try on thursday when the new o-rings come in. If people have really done this on damaged tanks with used o-rings, even if mine is a little bent it should seal. :abduct:
Make sure the o-ring groove is spotless clean with no imperfections. Lube the entire o-ring with grease before putting it on, then a little more once in place. Make sure the leading edge of the tank flange where the o-ring starts to get compressed doesn’t have any sharp edges. Lightly filing the edge smooth about a 30 degree angle (not too much) will help the o-ring start without damage (if needed). Smooth it with Scotch Brite. And like others said also lube the flange sealing surface. If you do need to file it make sure to clean it good leaving no filings in the tank.

If the flange is out of round you could have a problem, if it's a little warped/bent - that's not where the o-ring seals so shouldn't be an issue.

Where are you getting the o-rings from? Correct size?

Good Luck with it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Make sure the o-ring groove is spotless clean with no imperfections. Lube the entire o-ring with grease before putting it on, then a little more once in place. Make sure the leading edge of the tank flange where the o-ring starts to get compressed doesn’t have any sharp edges. Lightly filing the edge smooth about a 30 degree angle (not too much) will help the o-ring start without damage (if needed). Smooth it with Scotch Brite. And like others said also lube the flange sealing surface. If you do need to file it make sure to clean it good leaving no filings in the tank.

If the flange is out of round you could have a problem, if it's a little warped/bent - that's not where the o-ring seals so shouldn't be an issue.

Where are you getting the o-rings from? Correct size?

Good Luck with it.
I got them from mcmastercarr.com and had no problems the first time with the same exact size. the size also recommended on the forum

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm going from memory here and it may be covered in the maintenance manual but when I replaced the gasket on my 916 several years ago I ruined the first gasket trying to push the pump into place. The 3 bolts that seat the pump assembly to the tank were not long enough to thread into position with the pump backed out and the gasket exposed so I used longer bolts that could reach and then let the bolts pull the fuel pump slowly into the tank evenly.

Once I had advanced the pump into the tank enough so the stock bolts would reach, I removed the long bolts, screwed in the stock bolts and completed the operation. Never had a issue with leaking after that.

Please ignore if this is already covered in the manual.

Good Luck,

Mike

PS, A little grease or oil on the gasket is a must as people have already mentioned.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I'm going from memory here and it may be covered in the maintenance manual but when I replaced the gasket on my 916 several years ago I ruined the first gasket trying to push the pump into place. The 3 bolts that seat the pump assembly to the tank were not long enough to thread into position with the pump backed out and the gasket exposed so I used longer bolts that could reach and then let the bolts pull the fuel pump slowly into the tank evenly.

Once I had advanced the pump into the tank enough so the stock bolts would reach, I removed the long bolts, screwed in the stock bolts and completed the operation. Never had a issue with leaking after that.

Please ignore if this is already covered in the manual.

Good Luck,

Mike

PS, A little grease or oil on the gasket is a must as people have already mentioned.

+++1 - this is the only method I've found to work. Due to the way the oring flange is designed, e.g. the oring is not constrianed from popping into the inside of the tank [read half-assed design :crazy:]. That why it leaks like a sieve and pours out when it not seated properly.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts