Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.

I have an 07 GT, and live in NYC. My forks are taking a beating here. That said, I'd love to upgrade my forks but Ohlins are so expensive. Are there any upgrade options that are more reasonably priced?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 cartridge kit. As good, if not better, than Ohlins. Makes your OEM SC forks fully adjustable. Also, half the cost of full Ohlins forks, and $500-600 cheaper than an Ohlins cartridge kit.

Their customer service is also fantastic!

Cheers,

Tmnstr

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
For the most cost effective upgrades to a GT's suspension;

...try to find some second hand lighter aluminium Sport Classic wheels (to replace your heavy steel GT hoops) before you look at springs, etc,
...then get a replacement progressive spring, from someone like Wilbur - get this fitted with heavier fork oil, and then the icing on the cake; get a pair of second hand Biposto Marzocci adjustable rear shocks from a standard SC, again, a cheap OEM upgrade on the GT items - and get them dailled-in for your weight, ...or plenty of companies make good after market items.

You don't need to go crazy or expensive to make a very big difference.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
... what LondonDutch said, and also look at procuring Showas from an S4R, which are very affordable and just as good if not better than the ohlins which came with the PS.

Of course, once you'll have the front sorted, you'll want to sort the rear. I can't begin to tell you how much of an improvement it was to put ohlins at the rear. Different ride...

good luck.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Hello all.

I have an 07 GT, and live in NYC. My forks are taking a beating here. That said, I'd love to upgrade my forks but Ohlins are so expensive. Are there any upgrade options that are more reasonably priced?

Thanks
I'd start upgrading the rear… Get a pair of YSS shocks!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Budget suspension...

+1 on LondonDutch's info.

After scouring many threads, I decided a cost effective way to go was with Ducati ST4 (could not find S4R's) fully adjustable Showa forks with SC Sachs piggyback shocks and aluminum rims.

I have installed the shocks, and they seemed to have taken the harshness out of the rear. My forks are enroute from a rebuild (weight adjusted), I've heard they are really nice for a sporting street bike. I plan on installing the aluminum rims (with lightweight Power Pures - Thanks WCMoto) when I swap the forks - it should make a big difference.

I've got about $1600 into it for everything which is not too bad for rebuilt forks, shocks, rims, and like new tires.

·
Premium Member
990 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Options

Thanks, So many options!

Let me ask this. If your current budget is $1000, with more to come later, where would you start? The best beginner building block??
That's after lighter wheels which I'm currently looking for.

:think:

This looks pretty good to me

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Try GP Suspension first, they're around $1200 or so, Traxxion Dynamics second, they're around $1400 or so... Sell something for the extra few hundred and you'll still be a thousand richer than if you went Ohlins for the forks. And, not lacking in performance.

Tmnstr

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
Thanks, So many options!

Let me ask this. If your current budget is $1000, with more to come later, where would you start? The best beginner building block??
That's after lighter wheels which I'm currently looking for.

:think:
I picked up 3 way adjustable Showas with TiN coating from a 2002 ST4s in great shape for $600 on ebay. I think if you look hard, they can be found even cheaper. They're a great upgrade and plenty good for me (riding street not super hard). Guess it depends on how much you think you'll push a suspension to it's limits, for me anything more would be overkill, these perform well and the adjustability is great to have.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts