Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Took the bike out for a longer spin today. Damp and in the 50s. Bike ran like absolute crap until it was totally warm, and even totally warm is wasn't great. Idle is too low, and choke cable needs replacement/adjustment. Needs valve service, so I'm going to have the boys at Ducati Seattle tweak around with it when it goes in. It has the original carbs.

Even when that is all said and done, I might still be interested in converting it to FI.

3 questions:

1) Does anyone have a complete part list of what I would need to do the upgrade? Could I do it for less than $1500?

2) If I can source a 1999 900cc engine and ECU, will this fit into my 98 frame? Headers fit?

3) If I simply wanted to get better carbs, what would be the best route? Not looking for more power, just better driveability (smoother starting, throttle response.)

The idea behind the second one would be sourcing a 99 engine, and building it up over the winter, but leaving the bike rideable on the clear days (shockingly enough, it does happen here in Seattle....).

Thoughts, ideas? Educate the newbie.....

·
Registered
303 Posts
If you decide on the engine route let me know. I have a line on a 2000 and would be buying primarily for wheels, forks, tank, etc. It has about 35k miles.

·
Registered
231 Posts
1) no parts list, but if you're really resourceful (buying and selling stuff on ebay mainly, maybe even buying an entire wrecked but running FI donor bike and parting *all* the leftovers) and can do all the wrenching it could maybe be done for $1500 net. but.... if you're taking it to a shop to have the valves done up, then i'd guess you're not the "wrenching" type...

2) yes, it will all fit. however you're most likely gonna run into problems with getting a fuel pump in your old tank tho.

3) when your bike is in for valve service, i would go so far as to argue that having the carbs serviced as well (disassembly/cleaning/new gaskets/etc) will make you a much happier camper :D:D:D

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
3) when your bike is in for valve service, i would go so far as to argue that having the carbs serviced as well (disassembly/cleaning/new gaskets/etc) will make you a much happier camper :D:D:D
The carbs where rebuilt 1 year and 3k ago.

I'm capable of doing my own work, but Ducati Seattle makes me lazy. Once you add in the cost of a shim kit, having them do it is only a coupe hundred bucks more, and they do damn good work. I've notice on my repair bills notes about things they adjusted/tweaked that I was not charged for, but make a big difference in performance. I took my 02 Monster in there for its 6k, and I swear it came back making 5-8 more HP.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Don't do it. I converted mine to FI and it is more of a hassle to deal with than a carb'd version. You will have to get a PC if you make/made any changes, have to ship out the cpu to flash it, etc.etc.etc.etc......

Go with the flatslides.

·
Registered
415 Posts

Very easy swap. I'd sell you mine if you like. I had flatslides on it before.
I bet your emusion tubes are beat and need replaced. Look at factorypro.com for details.

My swap I used a donor bike.
You get better charging system, better gas mileage, much better electronics, better swing arm.
Its a easy swap, wish I had done mine day one.
I have a post in the supersport forum about it.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Don't do it. I converted mine to FI and it is more of a hassle to deal with than a carb'd version. You will have to get a PC if you make/made any changes, have to ship out the cpu to flash it, etc.etc.etc.etc......

Go with the flatslides.
Why you need a pc? I run mine everyday, push button fires right up. sometimes I need to use the fast idle, But that rare. Sounds like you have a problem with yours.

·
Registered
415 Posts
2) yes, it will all fit. however you're most likely gonna run into problems with getting a fuel pump in your old tank tho.
Direct swap.... :D Or you can even just use a walbro pump, must push 44+psi
The stock pump runs 8-10 psi and will not work with the fuel injection system.

----------------------
1999 900 will be the easiest. You will only need to fab a bracket to hold the coils, gauges, and adapt the speedo drive. The 99' runs the bigger front axle, so the drive or gear will not swap over to the pre 98' bikes.
Keep your v2 heads as they have better valves,

·
Registered
231 Posts
to jrmmmm, second what 900ss said, you must have had other issues...the ECU aren't reflachable either as far as i know, just plug in PC and DYNO it...

900ss: i had NO idea the fuel pump would go right in!! you have one killer setup there. i have long envisioned putting the full 1st gen tank/plastics on a 2nd gen but held back because i had no idea on the fuel pump...haha so instead i stuffed my donor 900SS engine/harness/TB's into a SBK chassis...only regret is now i'll never be able to use that motor with SS/monster style swingarms ever again...however i DO have some new plans for it in the works since it will now easily slot into the HM/MTS chassis/swingarm combo

bu yeah desmo, if a carb service/repair won't cure you there's always flatslides or the FI conversion. and flatslides aren't cheap, if you are willing to wait and travel, a whole wrecked FI 900SS could likely be had for the cost of the flatslides. (last time i checked appx $1200 for the FCR's right?)

obligatory pic:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do the FCR carbs have a choke? Is starting a problem in cold weather?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Why you need a pc? I run mine everyday, push button fires right up. sometimes I need to use the fast idle, But that rare. Sounds like you have a problem with yours.
were you able to fit the stock air box?

·
Registered
662 Posts
to jrmmmm, second what 900ss said, you must have had other issues...the ECU aren't reflachable either as far as i know, just plug in PC and DYNO it...
My first reaction would be to stick with the FCRs. Good results, straight forward, not too expensive and available. But I'm open minded, let's ask someone who's done it before.......

Then I see jmmmrm's comments. He's just built a 104HP, FI converted bored and stroked 900SS and says go with the FCRs too. Case closed.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I have had both, stock carbed, FCR 39's FCR 41's and been enjoying my FI and have never looked back.

You have to understand how that system works to get it to run correctly. You have to have a good set up TPS sensor. Otherwise the bike will just not run right.

The FCR's are a step up to the cv's the stock bike has. But if I was going to spend $750 plus again. FI... You get far more benfits over just sticking FCR's on, For almost the same cost.

You get a better charging system. You go to a 3 wire system with better wattage, vs the 2 wire that likes to over heat and burn up.
You dont have to play with the set up nd tuning of the FCR's and the TB's dont have their adapters loosen up and cause vac leaks.
You dont need to adjust the FI for altitude, like you need to with any carb set up.
You can have a bike that is serviceable at any ducati dealer and very rare fr any of the parts to fail.
F.I. has a fast idle, FCR's have NO choke,
F.I. you hit the start button and ride away, FCR's you prime then fart around with it, even worse if you flood the bike.
Or just buy the FCR's and keep all the poor older ign boxes, 2 wire charging system.

I built my SP to be a every day driver with no worries. Thats just what got. I can hop on that bike at anytime and ride anywhere in the U.S. and never look back.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Couple of points.

1) You need a power commander if you make any changes in the engine to adjust the fuel.

2) the CPU can be flashed (silverback performance) in which case you can forgoe the PC until you make more changes. The flashing can also adjust the timing, but now that they have the Ignitech Sparker TCIP4 ignition, changing the timing on the carb version is a lot easier and can be done by yourself.

It all depends and what you are going after. If you are going to start working on the engine in the long run (bore/head work), think long term and what your goals are. I know that HP/torque wise, you will get the same results if you go with the split carbs. The conjoined ones will not produce as much HP on the top end, but that is only the case with a lot of head work.

Charging system...I am still using the 2 wire set up.

In regards to ease of use, the FI is easier to start. The flats you need to pump a couple of times to get the fuel in b/c of the no choke.

That is my 2cents. Just do what you are confortable with and what will make you happy.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I'll bite....
Technoresearch makes a flash tool for our ecu's. But with anything map changes, You really need to know what you are doing.

Now.. our systems do not have a o2 sensor. Which means you can trim the ecu to fix the lean condition the bikes have when passing emissions. So you really do not need a power comander. Also... piggy back stuff sucks. When talking mS of injector timing. That can also be the delay when using a piggy back system.

Now with the charging system. Lots of those 2 wire systems failed caused fires. Alot of people upgraded to the brand that escapes me at this time. electarex or something of that nature.

If you want a hassle free set up, you do the swap and update your bike on how it should have come from the factory. And your gas mileage goes up to boot.

FCR's are nice, But... I like something I know will work everytime and everywhere I ride.

But do what works for you and what fits in your budet. Education is key.

But dont get scared off thinking its a nightmare or its hard. If you can serves your duc. You can easy nail this swap.

·
Registered
662 Posts
But dont get scared off thinking its a nightmare or its hard. If you can serves your duc. You can easy nail this swap.
The challenge of doing a FI swap is one thing and that's really cool. Some minor upside in performance and cold starting is another thing. That's no biggie in my mind but OK too. Overall, not a compelling argument. Not to mention you may actually be decreasing the value of your bike for resale.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Not to mention you may actually be decreasing the value of your bike for resale.

Yeah, as I have been mulling this all over, I think it would be foolish (and a bit wrong) to make major changes to the bike. If I change anything, I think flat sides will win the day.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts