Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, I went and test rode an Aprilia Touno today. Based on all the reviews and videos, I expected to be blown away, but not so much. It just didn't strike the chord I feel on the 1200 R. Sure, it had a good amount of power and the electronics/shifter are nice. I could easily pull the front well up in the first three gears. It's probably faster by a little bit on the track and road, but absolute numbers don't play a huge role a the level these bikes are at and the skills of the rider. The engine felt almost too smooth (S1000R like) and lacking the character of a V-twin. The sound is nice, but I don't rank it above mine. The bike felt and looked to have a little less quality than the Ducati. Appearance wise, to me it doesn't knock your socks off like the Monster. So, overall, I think it comes to personal choice in what you like in a bike. I'm not ready to switch brands yet.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
I always thought Aprilias and KTMs looked Japanese.

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
I've ridden the Monster and the Tuono. I like both bikes, but they are very different. The ergos on the Tuono are much better for me, the Monster is very cramped and the exhaust interference w/ my right foot is annoying.

That said it's a tough choice. The Tuono makes very little power below 5500 RPM, then it's mental. Maybe I've owned Ducati's too long, but I'm just used to getting torque down to 3k RPM. I also agree that Aprilia has cut some cost out...for me most notably the graphics, top triple.

Now despite all that, I'd still really like to own a Tuono...its much more sport bike influenced than the Monster w/ near perfect ergos.

·
Registered
503 Posts
The bike felt and looked to have a little less quality than the Ducati.
I disagree, but not strongly. I work @ a small used sportbike shop as the only tech. I've serviced a few Aprilias. They always impress me.
One of my riding friends owns a Tuono that is well sorted. We've switched it up before and I liked it. Handling was razor sharp(carbon wheels), riding position was excellent. Still not enough to draw me to the brand over Ducati.

Attachments

·
Registered
534 Posts
I went to the dark side when I lived in London. After having a 999, I wanted to sample the competitor of the time. RSV Factory. I got a low millage one, clean 05, same year as my 999. I never rode it anywhere in the year I owned it. F'n things fuel pump was always an issue. I became an expert at removing the tank. Which is a MAJOR ass kick, as it's a huge PITA just to remove the seat on that bike. The tanks swell too, making bolting it back down to the frame a pain in the ass.

I duno, I thought it looked cool, and it ran a few times. I managed to get a photo of it at The Bike Shed one time, proof it was on the road. If you like working on bikes, they are fun, I like riding bikes so I got a reliably Ducati. HAHAHAH

Sounds funny, but in 3 Ducatis, I've had zero troubles the likes of which I had constantly on the RSV.

Look on an Aprillia forum before buying one, that's all I gotta say.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
So, I went and test rode an Aprilia Touno today. Based on all the reviews and videos, I expected to be blown away, but not so much. It just didn't strike the chord I feel on the 1200 R. Sure, it had a good amount of power and the electronics/shifter are nice. I could easily pull the front well up in the first three gears. It's probably faster by a little bit on the track and road, but absolute numbers don't play a huge role a the level these bikes are at and the skills of the rider. The engine felt almost too smooth (S1000R like) and lacking the character of a V-twin. The sound is nice, but I don't rank it above mine. The bike felt and looked to have a little less quality than the Ducati. Appearance wise, to me it doesn't knock your socks off like the Monster. So, overall, I think it comes to personal choice in what you like in a bike. I'm not ready to switch brands yet.Thoughts?
Late 2015 I had a five bike short list for the 2016 riding season. The hybrid looking Tuono was a top contender as "a one bike ride" but didn’t have the pure sportbike look and feel of the Panigale nor the badass appeal of the Monster among the nakeds. I didn’t compromise. Bought the Panigale at the beginning of the season and the Monster near the end. Couldn’t be happier with two very different rides on the sport side of the spectrum.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
If you want to be tempted try a KTM superduke, i had a 990 for a couple of years, pulled hard from down low, pretty much ran out of steam at 200, can't imagine going much faster with an upright seating position. I haven't ridden the 1290 but they sound like a 990 on steroids.

Ape v4 better suited to a sports bike with clipons for mine.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
If you want to be tempted try a KTM superduke, i had a 990 for a couple of years, pulled hard from down low, pretty much ran out of steam at 200, can't imagine going much faster with an upright seating position. I haven't ridden the 1290 but they sound like a 990 on steroids. Ape v4 better suited to a sports bike with clipons for mine.
The Superduke gets its grunt with 100cc advantage. Not that I have a issue with that because I don’t. It's a fine machine which I considered around Halloween but the brutal style of the Monster is timeless. IMO, a Badass sport cruiser on steroids should look the part. If Dracula had a thing for bikes, he'd be riding this:

Attachments

·
Registered
549 Posts
I did go to the dark side (for now)

Last year I wanted to buy that Monster 1200R so bad. I waited and waited on it. I finally rode it and liked it. Then my dealer asked if I had considered the Tuono v4 1100 Factory. I said no I had not. To be honest, I didn't love the look of the Tuono nearly as much as the Monster 1200R.

I took the Ape on a ride then the monster back to back. That motor in the Ape is smooth. And like other person mentioned, the bloody pipe on the Monster got in the way of my right foot. And at the time, the Monster didn't have upshifter, while the Ape did.

IMHO, the Monster 1200R is a better looking bike, but the Aprilia is a better daily rider and track bike. Not by a lot though. But at about $3k cheaper, with Ohlins suspension and better HP, I went with the Aprilia. I feel I made the right decision. But I'm still a Ducati-guy waiting on the mothership to build something that excites me. Thus, I'm anxiously awaiting the new Duc V4. But if it looks anything like that supersport abomination I guess I'll be riding this Ape for a while.

So, I went and test rode an Aprilia Touno today. Based on all the reviews and videos, I expected to be blown away, but not so much. It just didn't strike the chord I feel on the 1200 R. Sure, it had a good amount of power and the electronics/shifter are nice. I could easily pull the front well up in the first three gears. It's probably faster by a little bit on the track and road, but absolute numbers don't play a huge role a the level these bikes are at and the skills of the rider. The engine felt almost too smooth (S1000R like) and lacking the character of a V-twin. The sound is nice, but I don't rank it above mine. The bike felt and looked to have a little less quality than the Ducati. Appearance wise, to me it doesn't knock your socks off like the Monster. So, overall, I think it comes to personal choice in what you like in a bike. I'm not ready to switch brands yet.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I did go to the dark side--a '17 KTM Superduke 1290 R with BST carbon wheels, Rottweiller intake, Austin Racing exhaust and Dynojet re-map. It handles like my Hypermotard with intoxicating torque and a heavy top end rush. 3rd gear throttle wheelies are cake. It's...LOVE! :wink2:

Attachments

Reactions: paulmm600

·
Registered
205 Posts
I am going through the same selection process. I have ridden Monster S, Tuono Factory and will be riding the Super Duke. I am 6'2". Tuono ergos were much better for me and the motor was a lot stronger than the S. I want some of the bells and whistles available to the S and the Tuono - C ABS, quick shifter, etc. If the R had those with its slightly bigger/longer frame, I would seriously consider it. Then figure in the price savings and it is hard not to get the other Italian. I could go full exhaust and race ECU and still have enough to buy a few other bits. I am really curious to see how the SuperDuke matches up to these two.

·
Registered
72 Posts
KTM doesn't build a bike unless it can be reproduced in origami. :wink2:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts