Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had a mechanic replace the lower triple replaced.

While coming off the on-ramp, the steering had locked into straight position. I almost ran into the wall at 50 mph.

I inspected the area between the bottom center of the top triple and where it sits alongside a large washer; that washer touches the frame. Well, the clamp isn't sitting flat on top of that washer. It's like a c-washer or something, as it has an empty slot on its edge for a tool to grab it I think. I'm not sure what impact that could have but I thought I mention it anyway.

Does anyone know how this could have happened? The steering seems to lock after a long, relatively straight drive. Otherwise I tried testing out the steering range while going very slow around my neighborhood and it didn't lock up at all.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1995 M900

I found the culprit of the problem; refer to picture. Also, do not ever have service performed at Rider's Revelation in Costa Mesa, CA (So-Cal) Many Duc owners have complained about their quality of services...

Here is what happened:

The reason why the steering locked is because the bolt for the top triple wasn't completed screwed in. In this picture I have screwed it by many millimeters, but you can clearly see the mark on the frame where, upon jerking the steering to the right while I had stopped, the head of the bolt stripped the frame enough to make way for itself

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
If you or the bike had gotten hurt, they would be responsible. Glad you're OK, and that you've found the problem.

You might want to phone them to make sure they know. They might want to evaluate their mechanic.
Update their insurance policy at the least!

·
Never Grow Up
538 Posts
Hell, I'd ride it back over there with an appointment to meet with the owner or general manager and SHOW them what happened. For the safety of all those riders behind you that will take their bikes there for repair.

And then I'd let the forum know how they responded to the information. They will either be extremely grateful to you for showing them this, or they will duck and dodge. The reaction will tell your SoCal brothers whether they should ever go there for service.

Yikes....... just, yikes!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts