Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
1,765 Posts
The item description specifies it is for STREETFIGHTER 1198. Looks like these guys made their homework educating themselves on Ducati models line.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Old Wizard
3,006 Posts
Given that the rear wheel nut is the highest-torqued fastener on the bike and considered to be on the leading edge of fastener design; and given that it's failure has significant safety consequences; and given that the seller doesn't give any assurances regarding its strength vis-à-vis the steel fastener, I'd personally forego the bragging rights and pass on using this particular nut.

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
I would pass on deez nuts for several reasons.:) The use of aluminum for high torque or high stress applications is not common as far as threaded fasteners go. The other reason is that the pretty red anodized finish is going to be difficult to keep from scratching while torquing the nut. I had a set of blue aluminum sprocket nuts on a bike I used to own. The torque requirements where only 30ft LBS. I wrapped them in teflon tape to keep them from getting scratched while torquing them.

·
Temporary greeter
23,076 Posts
If you are looking to just get rid of the tarnished nuts, and don't want to go for other QUALITY replacements, you may want to consider powdercoating your current ones. I did mine over a year ago and they still look great.

And by the way, the reflective chrome powdercoated sprocket also still looks great. ;)

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you are looking to just get rid of the tarnished nuts, and don't want to go for other QUALITY replacements, you may want to consider powdercoating your current ones. I did mine over a year ago and they still look great.

And by the way, the reflective chrome powdercoated sprocket also still looks great. ;)
Cheers, thats a great idea for me as it is purely cosmetic's i'm after.
Just out of interest I was watching Formula1 Sunday, and there was a report on The Mclaren team about wheel nut cross threading, and they said they use Aluminium nuts and TI shaft's ???

·
Premium Member
677 Posts
I don't think these guys are actually saying Streetfighter 1198.. they are saying Strettfighter, [and]1198.. meaning it fits both bikes..

Isn't the original nut aluminum anyway. Also, SSR has been around for a few years... So i wouldn't be all that critical about them, just for the sake of being critical..

Thanks

edit: When i said i had their products on their bike.. i thought we were talking about TPO parts, my bad. I never bought anything from SSR though i've seen them around for some time now..

·
Mr Leakered
8,815 Posts
The listing says that it is 6061-T6. That's the peanut butter of aluminum. You'd be better off just riding with out any nut at all.

It'd be interesting if it could even handle the installation torque.

This all coming from SSR, who have a bit of a reputation. Laughable.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I've been buying Ti replacements for many of the nuts and bolts on the SF. It can be a little pricey but if you buy a little at a time it's not too painful.

Link: TPO Parts for SF

1 - 12 of 12 Posts