Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there.

Does anyone know someone within Australia that can make, or sell Ducati sport classic alloy tanks that can fit the 2006 Ducati sport classic monoposto. I'm very interested in buying one used or new, would anyone please recommend or direct me to someone that can make/sells these in Australia?

Thanks.

·
Registered
780 Posts
There are only two sources for those tanks that I am aware of because the bottom is a very complicated shape to make and it's difficult for all but the very best metal beaters to fabricate. One company in Italy (can't remember the name) that made the run MotoWheels sold 8-9 yerars ago and still shows them on eBay in Italy occasionally and Evan Wilcox in the US. Evan makes the better tank and occasionally Steve at Bevel Heaven in California has one in stock. Not cheap but a work of art. Here's a pic of the Italian version I have on my bike after HOURS of sanding and polishing.

Attachments

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are only two sources for those tanks that I am aware of because the bottom is a very complicated shape to make and it's difficult for all but the very best metal beaters to fabricate. One company in Italy (can't remember the name) that made the run MotoWheels sold 8-9 yerars ago and still shows them on eBay in Italy occasionally and Evan Wilcox in the US. Evan makes the better tank and occasionally Steve at Bevel Heaven in California has one in stock. Not cheap but a work of art. Here's a pic of the Italian version I have on my bike after HOURS of sanding and polishing.
Hey StraDuc, thanks for the reply. I know you can get these on (ebay, there is a ebay Italian seller I forgot his user name store, but I did save his ebay shop if I did ever wanted to contact the seller again) and motowheels, but the prices are dear, I’m happy to buy one second hand if someone is selling one?

This is what I want! But I’m not sure if I want it polish or the raw matte finish look, it's very hard to choose. If I go polish it would drive me crazy seeing all the faint blemish scratches until you clean the tank again making it shiny (looking at your polish tank I can already see them), if it was matte finish there wouldn’t be any problems I guess, but polish does look very nice.

Did you polish it yourself, was it originally matte finish, as I seen some pictures from motowheels and it's not polish, do they send it of matte finish so you can do it yourself, or can you choose to get it done in the process?

Do you have more pictures of your alloy tank in different angle shots just the tank itself, and on your bike. Did you also match the alloy tank with alloy rear cowl and front fender polish, if so I would really like to see what your bike looks like? As this is what I am trying to do with my current 2006 sport classic monoposto.

·
Official Retired Person
7,334 Posts
StraDuc & I are the only people I've heard of that polished their tanks. Mine came with a rough brushed finish. I think I requested that so I could do what I wanted.

I did mine over 2 months or so during the Winter. Started with 400 wet paper & worked up to 1500 wet paper. Lots of blue jeans got extra washes because of the job! Then I used Mother's Mag & Aluminum Polish. I still use that for all the polishing. Sometimes I spot polish, mostly not but about twice a year I spend a couple hands on hours doing a really good job again. Kinda get into a zen thing. I've tried auto wax over the freshly polished aluminum but it doesn't make much difference.

People will come up to the bike to look at the tank. Most want to touch it. I tell everyone "If you stare at it long enough, you WILL put a mark on it." Usually makes them laugh.

Here's some pics of mine.
IMG_20200612_152242147.jpg
IMG_20200612_152255330.jpg

·
Registered
780 Posts
I'm afraid NCGT is a bit more... diligent than I am about keeping up the polish. I did basically exactly what he described. Hours and hours of sanding then going to a finer grit then the buffer with different cut compounds. I hit it with Mothers every year. Or two... but in my opinion there is nothing that has the cool factor of polished alloy. My tank was one of the first supplied by MotoWheels and it came to me sanded with about 80 grit on a random orbital sander. Horrible looking. If it was a nice fine Scotchbrite brushed finish I might have left it as it was but the deep nasty scratches it had was unacceptable to me. I couldn't justify splashing out for the alloy seat cowl as it is strictly a cosmetic thing whereas I felt the ever expanding stupidly designed plastic tank made the alloy tank a necessity not a luxury. I had a kid in college and that's where my cash was going at the time. But the weight savings, extra fuel capacity and not having to worry about the tank falling off the frame was worth the (high) price to me.

I can't find any photos to compare with NCGT's stunning shots but here are a couple of my S1K Mono with my bevel Duc and with my buddies Biposto on a ride in the driftless region of SW Wisconsin which is a great place for a Sport Classic ride. I'm pretty sure that Italian guy owns a PS and is for sure the guy who produced the tanks for MotoWheels.

Terry

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts