Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,476 Posts
Yes.... yes it does. The dealership I was at used to warranty those early ones when we found them. Ducati used to be good about covering them so i want to say the ran a extended good will warranty on them up until about 2006. Too late now so on to the fix.

I have had one welded and we built it up much like the later version . I have not tested it yet to know if it is a valid repair. safest bet is to hunt down a later model version where the pinch area is beefier, these later models were not a problem. The last version is trouble free too but had to find so prices are high. In a pinch pick up a steel one to keep you riding if need be they are cheap and don't crack.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Maybe it's just the photo, but there looks to be a hairline crack left of the weld as well. Ducvet what year did they introduce the improved swingarm?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ah thanks for the info. I had the engine out because of the oil gallery plug backing out and then found this. I'm in the market for a alloy swingarm if anyone has leads. Ebay prices are a bit out of my range.

·
Premium Member
5,476 Posts
IIRC it was about 97-98. You can tell easily by the pinch bolt.

Early= the side of the bolt head is exposed when tight, like the one in the picture.

late= the head of the bolt cannot be seen if you are looking front of bike towards the back.

The cut on the lower part has been boxed in, if you look on ebay at the front pinch bolt area you should easily see the difference.
Used bikes always need to be checked as I have swapped out a ton of old for new so age alone does not tell and there are enough people who do not know and when they just buy an aluminum not knowing the difference. There are plenty of old style swingarms out there that may never fail but you do treat them more carefully to not over torque the pinch bolts or allow side play.

If you update know that the pivot bolt is different on the newer version (longer) and the upper chain guard is also different.

Now that I think of it I do have a customer with a unbroken early style swingarm for sale

I order most to least preferred I would ....

1. find a new style 1000ss if you can for reasonable money (good luck with that).

2. buy a updated version of yours

3. buy aftermarket , only #3 because of cost

4. replace with same as you have.

5. go steel and not worry again.

6. repair yours, I only put this last as it is not something I have long term experience with. someone else here may have better experience.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Check the prices for a new alloy swingarm from Metmachex in the UK. Might be the same or less than some of the used ones on Ebay. I have not used them, but a search should turn up posts on this site for those who have.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts