Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I ride a GT1000, love it. Love the look, love the ride, love the sound. Not thrilled with steel wheels. I’ve been looking for a pair of alloy rims to lace onto my stock hubs but have had no luck finding the 5.5 inch rear. Alpine wheels look great but I don’t want to pay for new hubs when I have hubs that are perfectly good.
Anybody know of a supplier who can come up with alloy rims of the correct size and quality? Stock rims from the SC1000 would be about $1000 from a dealer if they are even available.
I’ll place an ad for used take offs from an SC1000 in the classifieds but I need to keep the price down, don’t want to insult any one but I’m not in a situation were I can come up with a bunch of money. The logical solution is a set of Excel rims and lace them up. Anybody have a line on Excels let me know.
Thanks
JohnnyC

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
You are right to ditch the steel wheels! The 5.5 inch rim should be readily available - my local shop here in the UK (Hagon shocks) has them in stock, and there must be plenty of wheel builders in the USA. I'm sure that Sport Classic Specialties on theis site sell them..

·
Premium Member
4,142 Posts
Buchannon

I have had them build wheels in the past with great luck if you are doing it maybe shouldered rims would look good if they can come up with the widths.

If it were mine I would track down some forged aluminum wheels I have a customer with a set of these we put on .
Sports Classic 1000/GT 1000

lighter than stock with performance you notice and NO MORE TUBES!

IIRC he found a set used for around $1000

·
Registered
780 Posts
...lighter than stock with performance you notice and NO MORE TUBES!...

I concur with Ducvet. I put a set of 5 spoke alloys on my S1K only because I wanted to be able to plug a flat beside the road (no tubes) on a trip to the boonies of NC where my cell phone might not get me rescued. They are just run of the mill Marchesini wheels off another Duc not the lightweight forged ones but they transformed the handling of the bike. I loved the classy vintage look of the spoke wheels but the handling is so much better I would never consider putting them back on. The ability to plug a flat beside the road and continue my ride (which I have never had to do...) is just a bonus. I would think that with a GT that starts with the heavy steel spoke wheels, going to an alloy set would be an incredible upgrade to the handling since I started with the alloy spokes and it was a VERY noticeable improvement in the handling. Form verses function I guess...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’ve decided to wait until this next winter and have Buchannon build a set from my hubs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts