1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I was searching around on Yahoo Auctions Japan and stumbled across this Aluminum fuel tank. Is this something sought after?

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/w332302927

Additionally they are parting out the entire bike and it seems to have lots of goodies...sadly I don't see any amazing deals, its all quite expensive stuff.

https://auctions.yahoo.co.jp/seller/moto_box_2007?p=900SS&ngram=0&s1=bidsTARGET=new
I don't read Japanese very well, that said what is the asking price for the aluminum fuel tank?

·
Average Weird Guy.
1,150 Posts
.....and stumbled across this Aluminum fuel tank. Is this something sought after?
Yeah Zack that tank is pretty special,if I'm reading it right that's a Beater aluminum tank. Beater aluminum tanks are all handmade by Beater in Japan. The craftsmanship and quality of these handmade aluminum fuel tanks is almost beyond excellent.

I bought one for my 900SS 4 years ago from Webike in Japan,cost me $1260 US dollars shipped right to my door. That same 900SS Beater aluminum fuel tank is currently listed on the Webike website right now for $2218 US dollars. My Beater aluminum tank is 5.25 pounds lighter than my original stock steel one and it will never rust.
The waiting list to build me one was so long at the time I placed my order that it took nearly 6 1/2 months before I finally received mine.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
My Beater aluminum tank is 5.25 pounds lighter than my original stock steel one and it will never rust.
Wow .... I saved 10.5 pounds by replacing the lead/acid lump of a battery with an Anti Gravity lithium-ion battery. Combine that with the 5.25 pound reduction of that Beater aluminum tank and there's nearly 16 pounds taken off the bike ... and it's all weight that's way up high on the bike at that! And far more cost effective than a titanium exhaust system.

:wink2:

·
Registered
731 Posts
Back when the stupid plastic Sport Classic tanks (and others as well) started being killed by the equally stupid ethanol fuel we are forced to use, my wife gave me an alloy tank for Christmas. It is WAY lighter than the thick plastic tank, especially if you Caswell coat the plastic to slow down the ethanol destruction, but I never weighed them both. My guess would be at least 5-6 pounds lighter and no more ethanol issues with the tank. And I think polished alloy is quite attractive as well. I also have one on my bevel.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Back when the stupid plastic Sport Classic tanks (and others as well) started being killed by the equally stupid ethanol fuel we are forced to use, my wife gave me an alloy tank for Christmas. It is WAY lighter than the thick plastic tank, especially if you Caswell coat the plastic to slow down the ethanol destruction, but I never weighed them both. My guess would be at least 5-6 pounds lighter and no more ethanol issues with the tank. And I think polished alloy is quite attractive as well. I also have one on my bevel.
How about a carbon tank!!?!?

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/o326393930

Also...I wish I could correct the spelling error on the title...now I look like an idiot lol

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
...Also...I wish I could correct the spelling error on the title...now I look like an idiot lol
Aw .... I wouldn't worry about that .... take one look at the "active topics" list of threads at any given time or day and you'll see that pretty much all of us suffer from fumble-thumbs.

Yer guud ... :wink2:

·
Registered
105 Posts
my wife gave me an alloy tank for Christmas.
My girlfriend bought me a pair of socks for Christmas. I'm no knocking it, a man cannot have enough socks in his life, I'm a very happy man.

Anyway, the Beater alloy tank, I've seen one in person. I'm a metalsmith/blacksmith, and have done fair share of aluminium fabrication, including body panels and motorcycle fuel tanks, and the Beater product is so beautifully done that it makes my head hurt. At that price, it's a steal, even just to hang it on a wall.

That carbon fiber tank is pretty amazing, too. That's pretty wild.

·
Registered
731 Posts
The carbon tank is beautiful but I would worry about the ethanol issues that the plastic tanks suffer from. A Beater "beats" an epoxy matrix tank in the war on ethanol.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Wow .... I saved 10.5 pounds by replacing the lead/acid lump of a battery with an Anti Gravity lithium-ion battery. Combine that with the 5.25 pound reduction of that Beater aluminum tank and there's nearly 16 pounds taken off the bike ... and it's all weight that's way up high on the bike at that! And far more cost effective than a titanium exhaust system.

:wink2:

Rex
Not to hijack the post, but are you running the 12 or 16-cell unit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Average Weird Guy.
1,150 Posts
Beautiful tank, but I cringe a little at the interior shot--is that speaker wire I see?? Sure looks like it!
Interior pics of the Beater aluminum fuel tank. What you're seeing is the internal fuel line plumbing there's no speaker wire in there Monkeyman.

Pic 2 best illustrates the internal fuel line plumbing. Red arrow is the fuel outlet tube from the fuel pump,notice how they've got a little aluminum fixture welded in to help support that fuel tube. Green arrow is the fuel return tube which travels nearly all the way up to the top of the tank. Blue arrow is the fuel overflow outlet fitting.

Pic 3 shows the little aluminum cup that's welded onto the underside of the top of the fuel tank. That little cup is the splash shield for the external tank breather fitting. Look closely and you can actually see the breather hole at the bottom of that cup. Look even closer at this pic and you can still see the water stains that were left behind from when they water tested the tank for leaks.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,459 Posts
Not speaker wire that is the OEM wiring from early fuel pump senders, first time I looked in my 851 tank I wondered how well bare wires did in gasoline. Not bad apparently (99% of wires are covered) as I do not have issues with the wiring on these early bikes other than fuel idiot light failures.

I have a customer with a aluminum tanked SS and it has been around since the 90's, no issues I can think of so if designed and built right it should be great. On the early 851's they were aluminum and the rear mounting tab could fatigue and break from carrying a full fuel load and not being supported well at the back. The SS has a better mount so it should be good to go.

I have been waiting to see if the ( IIRC) Indian tank builders are going to make a aluminum SS tank. they make other tanks for like $500-600 usd. If they made a decent tank for the SS most of us would consider trying one.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts