Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Introducing Miss Vicenza!

2001 996S

5520 miles. Arrow exhaust. Aftermarket top triple (to raise the clip ons)... otherwise pretty much as she came from the factory.

She is

hashtag stunning

Attachments

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Love it!

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
Mmm. Looks like a Pista. Does it have a number on the original the top clamp? Odd that someone would change it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have the stock triple with badge. Previous owner said it was changed for comfort/riding position. Stock one will go back on soon. Changing out some odds n ends - levers, clutch cover, fork seals...

But I haven’t been “giddy” about a bike in a LONG time. I’m giddy over this one!

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
who makes that triple clamp?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yup, that's exactly the one. Thanks Toby!

It'll be coming off soon and hitting the classifieds in a couple weeks.

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,882 Posts
Mmm. Looks like a Pista. Does it have a number on the original the top clamp? Odd that someone would change it.

Not a Pista. Some of the late S models just had the tricolor stripes. Good looking though.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Beautiful Bike.

Can someone set the record straight for once and for all, in the USA were there two different versions of a 2001 996s? As far as I know all 2001 996Ss had the pista name on the tail and had the 3 colors on the side, does anyone have a 2001 996S that doesn't have that 3 color paint scheme?

Several years back I had the same bike as the original poster and a buddy of mine insists that because it had the pista name on the tail it was an SPS, Not an S. I also see people selling used 2001 996S and calling them Tricolor, I'm almost positive there was never a tricolor version its all the same bike.

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,882 Posts
Genuine Pistas were SPSs. The 996S with the stripes was just an S. I seem to recall they were the California versions or something, but that one I'm not sure about.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
During my search I was also looking at a 2001 996S that did not have the tricolore scheme, and did not have Öhlins front suspension. The stripes on mine are not a dealer add-on (ala the Bayliss/Infostrada decal scheme). I’m going to contact Ducati for specifics on the bike and will report back, but there was a tricolore version from the factory. It could just be the stripes and nothing more.

At any rate, ain’t nobody in Syracuse rolling around on one of these!

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
I think the pista was a sps with “pista” on the tail along with paint and I think there were only 150 made. If memory serves correct the number on the clamp were just continuing sps numbers and not “pista” specific. I think it was a typical end of model “bitsa” made of leftover parts before the Testastretta. Unique because of that only. Don’t hold me to this.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Added some CF air tubes, Ducabike pressure plate, CF clutch cover, CRG levers and put the stock top triple on. Now just waiting for this cold air to get out of Syracuse so I can put some miles on!

(trying to load pics but having a tech-idtio moment)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts