Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after reading all the positive comments about the 14 tooth and owner of a new 2012 1100 Evo I was also convinced that was the way to go so last night I changed out my 15 t for a 14t and WOW what a difference it made, around town is remarkably better (not riding clutch so much) and out on the open highway the revs are at a better range in top gear. :D

·
Registered
210 Posts
I also just got a new 2012 1100 sp. I changed to a 14 tooth also and agree that it really made the bike more driveable. I actually use 6th gear now.

The only thing I'm wondering now is, I'm doing a track day soon, and with the lower gearing will I run out of top speed at Infineon.

·
Registered
56 Posts
What sprocket are you guys using? Ducati or aftermarket? If so, which sprocket?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I also just got a new 2012 1100 sp. I changed to a 14 tooth also and agree that it really made the bike more driveable. I actually use 6th gear now.

The only thing I'm wondering now is, I'm doing a track day soon, and with the lower gearing will I run out of top speed at Infineon.
It won't be a problem at all at Sears Point. In between 6 and 7 is the fastest part of the track now and you might not even hit 6th.

At Thunderhill you will be speed raped by EVERYONE except for the ninja 250's going down the front straight regardless of your gearing. :0)

·
Registered
449 Posts
Well after reading all the positive comments about the 14 tooth and owner of a new 2012 1100 Evo I was also convinced that was the way to go so last night I changed out my 15 t for a 14t and WOW what a difference it made, around town is remarkably better (not riding clutch so much) and out on the open highway the revs are at a better range in top gear. :D
No hype, just unadultered pleasure. wheelie time!!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hey,

Does this mod change your speedo accuracy?

Cheers

·
Registered
210 Posts
I don't believe it changes the speedo. I don't think it did on my bike, speeds are accurate when going by the radar speed displays around here.

Speedo works off of sensors on the wheel I'm pretty sure.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just had the 14T sprocket mod done yesterday on my '12 Evo SP and it really is a great mod. More torque, better response, better rideability around town. What's not to like?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Has anyone done this on an 08 hypa?

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
I know a lot of Hyper riders (1100s) that went to a 14t front sprocket, most went back to a 15t, heres why, with a 14t 1st gear becomes very short almost too short for street riding, & when doing long trips at 70 and above the bIke gets really buzzy.

A one tooth lower on the front is like a +3 on the rear.

We found that with a +2 on the rear 15t front (I know more cost ) works well on a stock & lightly modded Hyper, you will get better accerlation & good freeway performance.

On a highly modded Hyper like mine, a +1 on the rear really works well for me, the goal being able to pull redline in 6th gear, so you get out the most of the gearing, the best accerlation with the most topend .
A 15t will also make the chain last longer. Aloha Alex

·
Registered
210 Posts
I went to a 14 pinion on my new 1100 sp, and I do like it. It makes the bike more driveable at lower speeds for sure, BUT, even though I found the 15 a bit tall, I'm finding the 14 a tiny bit short at highway speeds.

Something right in-between would be perfect for me.

When it comes time to replace the chain and sprockets, I'll be switching to 520 chain and probably go back to 15 and up 1 or 2 in the rear.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I went for a 15-42 setup for my new chain a few thousand miles back, it's the stock hyper gearing for the older models. Now however I think it might have been better to mount a 43 tooth sprocket for the rear instead, since I go over 200km/h at least every ride, but would like the 3rd gear powerwheelie to be a bit more easier.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts