Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are all superbike frames the same? Other than the subframe being mono or bi, of course... would a 748 frame hold a 998 engine, for example?

Assuming I'm never getting Bella back, I'm thinking about starting from the ground up and building something from scratch.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
No, some frames have clearance for the shower injectors (like the 748R) and some don't. Also, if you believe the printed specs, the 748R has thinner frame tubes than the 996/998s.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
I believe that the 748/916/996 are interchangeable and will not accept any 749/998/999/748R/996R or any large oil sump engine without modification. I can always be a bit wrong, though. ;)

·
Registered
572 Posts
You're right Desmo Demon ;)

996R and 998's (std, S, R) frames are different from previous SBK because of a tube around injectors, that is different on 748 and 996/916 frames.
I wonder if 748R (injectors shower like the 996R and 998's) have same frame than 998's.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess that poses my next question, then... obviously a "plain" frame won't work with an engine that has shower injectors, but will a frame for one that does have injectors work with a "plain" engine?

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
TrojanHorse said:
I guess that poses my next question, then... obviously a "plain" frame won't work with an engine that has shower injectors, but will a frame for one that does have injectors work with a "plain" engine?
Hmmmm...I don't remember the answer to that one. You trying to find a way to replace your 748? You thinking of building a bike? For the cheap prices that the 748's are going for, these days, I'd be tempted to just replace your 2001 with another 748. If you got enough money in the settlement, though, a nice, clean 996 would be tempting.....very tempting. ;)

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I'm thinking of replacing it with something, just not sure what yet. The girlfriend kind of has me convinced that rebuilding something would be fun, which I agree with. I figure if I'm going to do it again, I might as well do everything the way that I want it, from the ground up. I'd probably try to find a clear 748 frame and throw a 996 engine in it... cheaper insurance and all that.

Do you know how SC handles salvage title stuff?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Rebuilding something would be fun...But getting parts plus if you run into problems isnt fun at all!!!

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
TrojanHorse said:
Do you know how SC handles salvage title stuff?
I know that they title savage stuff, at least according to a 1999 SS750 that a buddy was looking at with a salvage title a while back. As for building one, as long as you have a clear title, it probably wouldn't be too bad. If you try to build something with a new frame (never been titled), chances are, you're in for a headache. I was going to build a custom cruiser, but I had heard horror stories about how the DMV wanted a receipt for ALL parts and were not very forgiving if you didn't have a receipt. They are trying to detour people from using stolen parts. Anyway, building a project often....very often.....cost MUCH more than just buying a complete bike and just completey redoing it. Unless you can get some excellent prices on the frame/engine/suspension, chances are, everything else will nickle and dime you to death, to the point you wish you'd bought a complete, unsalvaged bike.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts