Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody!

I just bought a 2003 ST4s on Ebay. The seller (through no fault of his own) sent the keys to my old address, the person there returned them to the postal service marked "not at this address".

They are now in Atlanta in the "Dead Letter File"! It's been over 2 weeks, we've requested they look for them again, but so far NOTHING. The chances are getting slim that they are going to show up.

So, does anybody have an experience replacing all the keys to a bike (including the MAGICAL RED KEY)??? I've read some horror stories and seen estimates close to $3k!

Ron

·
Registered
725 Posts
There are two things you need to do:

1 - Bend over
2 - Grab ankles

your dealer will do the rest, bring about $2500 with you

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
Might be worth a personal visit to the Atlanta post office to try and bump those guys off dead center. Gotta be cheaper than replacing the bulk of the ignition system.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Hello

I think the story is different now that "virgin" ECU's can be had relatively cheaply. I don't see why the entire ignition would have to be matched-up any more.
You would still have to acquire "some" sort of ignition/key combo off ebay or whatever, but past that, I don't see it being too complex.
ECU's can be had for $400.00, not a drop in the bucket, but not three large, either.
I think with a virgin ECU the immobilizer could be made to submit.

JMHO....

·
7,733 Posts
Wasn't there a post a long while ago about blank Honda car keys having a chip that's compatible to Ducati ecu/immobilisers?

·
Registered
183 Posts
I was researching this same problem for a track toy and these guys say they can help,
http://www.ecuclinic.com/
Desmo Porsche and some others may also be of help with the reflashing process and any competent locksmith should be able to cut a key, good luck

·
Registered
560 Posts
Bought a used bike about two years ago from a Dealer in another city. He had a spare key to send me, got the envelope, no key! Called the post office (santa barbara) and they found it right quick!

Actually, it must have been my wife's english accent that got them motivated. IT does seem to help, but pretty cool non the less.

Desmo Porshe has re-virginized ecu's and like has been said, lock sets are available on ebay.

Mark

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Hello

I sent an ECU to the "ECUClinic" guys in the UK and I thought the whole thing was a bit dodgy, actually.
First, the only way they will accept a delivery is if you label the package as "scrap". That means you can't insure it, or I guess track it properly, etc.
The idea is that they don't want to pay any duty on them, but the result is your ECU gets treated like junk.
Anyway, two months after shipping it to them, I followed up with an e-mail and got a reply back something like
"Oh, your ECU was irrepairable, so we trashed it"

Yeeah, thanks for the heads-up there, fellas...I got the feeling if I hadn't contacted them, I'd still be wondering what happened to my ECU (as if I'm still not wondering....)

I know there is at least one other member of this forum who sent an ECU off to them and never saw it again, either....

JMHO, YMMV....

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I had sent an order to a wrong address months ago(USPS). It was sent to a home that was vacant. It took 5 weeks, but actually came back to me. It is still possible it will be sent back to the return address.

Mike

·
Registered
87 Posts
I would think the piece of mail would be returned to the original sender...isn't that how it is supposed to work with the post office? Afterall, what's the point of a return address if that's not the case. Regardless, one of our local club members had a problem when her Black Key quit working and she didn't have a Red Key. Here is her post on the club site, of how she successfully solved the problem.

"Just wanted to share some info in case you're ever with a bike without a red key.. and it decides that your black key is no longer valid. Dennis at MotorVex in Washington is THE MAN!!! For less that 25% of the cost of the parts required from Ducati, I sent him my guages and computer and black key (black key isn't required if you send the ignition lock) and he was able to fix the water damage in the gauges that was causing the key not to be recognized, and make a red key for the bike! He did this in about a week too. So... if you ever need this service, just look up "Red Key Ducati" on Ebay, make sure it's MotorVex, and send off your parts. I was skeptical, but now I have a running bike again!! yea!!!"

Good luck.

·
Chilehead
6,984 Posts
Hello

I sent an ECU to the "ECUClinic" guys in the UK and I thought the whole thing was a bit dodgy, actually.
First, the only way they will accept a delivery is if you label the package as "scrap". That means you can't insure it, or I guess track it properly, etc.
The idea is that they don't want to pay any duty on them, but the result is your ECU gets treated like junk.
Anyway, two months after shipping it to them, I followed up with an e-mail and got a reply back something like
"Oh, your ECU was irrepairable, so we trashed it"

Yeeah, thanks for the heads-up there, fellas...I got the feeling if I hadn't contacted them, I'd still be wondering what happened to my ECU (as if I'm still not wondering....)

I know there is at least one other member of this forum who sent an ECU off to them and never saw it again, either....

JMHO, YMMV....
Strange, I sent one to them earlier this year, labeled it "used motorcycle parts for repair", and received it two weeks later in full working order!

Tom

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Hello, Tom

Maybe it is only shipments from the US that they have that requirement for, I don't know. I'm pretty sure it's because they don't want to get stuck with Customs charges.
I had read of successful ECU repairations from them, so I was pretty optimistic. Just kind of let down as to their handling of the deal. Giving me the option to pay for its return would have been somewhat considerate, it seems.....

JMHO

·
Chilehead
6,984 Posts
Maybe it is only shipments from the US that they have that requirement for, I don't know. I'm pretty sure it's because they don't want to get stuck with Customs charges.
There are custom charges from here, as well, since we are not in the EU.

Strange.

Tom

·
Registered
183 Posts
I would think the piece of mail would be returned to the original sender...isn't that how it is supposed to work with the post office? Afterall, what's the point of a return address if that's not the case. Regardless, one of our local club members had a problem when her Black Key quit working and she didn't have a Red Key. Here is her post on the club site, of how she successfully solved the problem.

"Just wanted to share some info in case you're ever with a bike without a red key.. and it decides that your black key is no longer valid. Dennis at MotorVex in Washington is THE MAN!!! For less that 25% of the cost of the parts required from Ducati, I sent him my guages and computer and black key (black key isn't required if you send the ignition lock) and he was able to fix the water damage in the gauges that was causing the key not to be recognized, and make a red key for the bike! He did this in about a week too. So... if you ever need this service, just look up "Red Key Ducati" on Ebay, make sure it's MotorVex, and send off your parts. I was skeptical, but now I have a running bike again!! yea!!!"

Good luck.
I have also heard of this guy but ran across some posts on a supercar forum about him trying to sell a salvaged car without disclosing all the damage. I have no direct knowlege one way or the other but....you will have to decide for yourself who to send your parts to.
I had recieved some follow up emails from ecu clinic but it was good to be informed about the questionable practice as reported by others.
Desmo porsche? or new to you used parts?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This forum is fantastic

Thanks guys and gals! Good input.

I'm still hoping it will be returned to the sender, he shipped all the maintenance records and a Ducati banner in there with the keys.

I found MotorVex on Ebay after posting, and that let me start breathing again! $550 is much easier to get past the wife.

No matter what, I have to wait for the previous owner to get the title replaced, then he has to send it to me so I can get it in my name, THEN I can START the process of getting a new key!

I went to the local dealer (they just started selling Ducati www.carolinaeuro.com) and they know someone over in Winston-Salem that does the same as MotorVex, they reverse-engineer the code that the red key should have out of the ECU and put it on a red key. The guy at the counter thought it was $300 or so, so it might be local and cheaper than MotorVex. :)

Ron

·
Registered
104 Posts
Lost keys

Send info to [email protected]. They claim to be able to reset ignition keys without card or red key

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Almost there!

Hey All,

Finally got the title and registration in my name. Found a guy in Houston (DesmoPorsche.com) that can reflash the ECU and remove the immobilizer part. And, then he can cut me a black key, with no need for a radio code. $250 to reflash and $50 per key.

I'm sending my ECU this week.

Ron

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi Everybody!

Great News!

After spending:
$180 for the bike shop to remove the ECU and iginition switch
$150 for a locksmith to make keys for the ignition and saddle bags
$260 to DesmoPorsche to re-flash my ECU and kill the immobilizer

Total: $590 (much better than Ducati's solution that costs $3,500)!!

Finally I've got a running ST4S and it is SO much faster than the old 900!! What a fantastic engine! The carbon pipes let the engine ROAR! Wow! And, the airbox top has been removed, so I get to hear the intake SUCKING air! Very nice!

And, my wife LOVES the back seat!! (so much better and bigger than the 900)!

8 months later, and I'm one HAPPY PUPPY!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts