Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello...so one, im new and two i dont have a ducati(or not yet).Im currently a yamaha rider and i love yamahas.I own a 09 r6 love it but one its kinda tiny(im 6'2 245)and two i want more power.Im looking at ducati besides its a beautiful bike and i like the middle weight class of your 848 and so on.I love the new R1 and wouldnt mind to own one but i want to know what you guys think about ducati.Most of you guys seem older, or more mature riders so i know you guys can back up your answers to my question...What are the pros and cons of the ducati world?Cost,Upkeep,just everything!!I would only get the 848,999 or anything in between because if i wanter a true liter i would go to the R1.So if i could get any opinions from you guys i would love that...Thank you :D

·
Registered
618 Posts
but i want to know what you guys think about ducati
Well, this is a Ducati forum, so asking what we think of them is going to give you kind of a skewed opinion.

What are the pros and cons of the ducati world?
I've had sportbikes from every japanese maker, and they've all been either pretty good or really good.

Pros of a Ducati:
1. Not too many sportbikes with a twin, and this is one of them. If you like twins, this is a pro.
2. Comes with a lot of trick stuff that costs a fortune after the fact: Brembo brakes, Marchesini wheels, etc.
3. You don't see too many of them on the road. Having people come up and ask to take a picture while you're filling up at a gas station, etc.
4. Dealers usually treat you better than with japanese bikes.

Cons:
1. Maintenance every 7,500 miles on new Ducs, so about twice as often as japanese.
2. Smaller dealer network, so you may have to take it somewhere out of the way to get it worked on.
3. Parts are expensive. Don't expect to drop an 848 and find a $200 replacement fairing on eBay.

If I were you, I'd keep the R6 and add the 848 later. But thats me. If you're simply weighing pros and cons, honestly a Ducati may not logically come out on top. The thing is, if you love them and have to have one, you'll know it. And that will outweigh the cons enough to get one and enjoy the heck out of it. I'm sure a lot of members here will tell you something similar.

·
Registered
312 Posts
"Most of you guys seem older, or more mature riders so i know you guys can back up your answers to my questions..."

18 Year old owner, doesn't mean I can't answer your questions. Ducati's are fantastic machines. You don't see too many of them, unlike your R6 where every Joe seems to have some form of one. The thing is that you have to be ready for the maintenance. You can help things a lot by doing the simple stuff yourself (oil change) which will save you some coin.

Going from a I4 to a L twin, the power delivery is going to bee different. More low end, less on the top. I would honestly get an 848 simply because the maintenance schedules are further apart on the new bikes, and because of the zero cost maintenance offered by most dealers as a promotion.

Good luck

·
Premium Member
2,243 Posts
I would only get the 848,999 or anything in between because if i wanter a true liter i would go to the R1.So if i could get any opinions from you guys i would love that...Thank you :D
The new R1 is actually a 998cc motor so if the 999 isn't a true liter bike then I guess the R1 isn't either...;)

That being said, after an R6 I'm sure the 848 will give you what you want but being tall you might want to sit on some other bikes to find what's most comfortable. IIRC the 999 is comfy for taller riders. I'm about 6' even and I lowered the pegs a bit and it's very comfortable for me. One of my customers is around 6'3" maybe and his pegs are lowered as well and he's pretty comfortable on it.

·
Still needs a life.
12,591 Posts
Unlike Harley or Honda, there is not a Ducati dealer on every corner of every town in the USA. If you do not do your own maintenance, make sure there is a someone near you (Ducati dealer or trusted independent mechanic) who can.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK..so do all ducati's come stock with brembos or is that an option?Is the maintenance cost the same for all bikes?Like is a full service between 4-5 hundred?And i made a statement about maturity because you dont find alot of 18 yr olds running with ducati.And im not worried about someone having my bike...its no biggie to me.And now the 0 cost is that all maintenance of just like a warranty kinda of thing?lol and when i said a real litre bike i was referring to your 1098 and 1198 lol thats why i said inbetween 848-999 ha.And comfy..cant i just change the pegs?because i dont have alot of options besides like 3:848,999,R1.And thank you guys..you guys are being extremely helpful and i appreicate this.Any other opinions?And actually on my yamaha forum we talk very highly of ducati's so i expected other forums to respect both sides of a question like this.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well, i'm kinda in the same boat here!!!

I currently own 2006 yamaha R1 and in a market for 2008-09 848!!!

I'm very happy with my R1, the power the comfort, you name it....

And i also ride my friends 2009 1198 from time - to time, which is totally different from what i own.... The yamaha is more comfortable bike to ride with no question and the power is quite similar, but you just can't ignore the Italian quality and the heartbeat of that Duc-Twin!!!

I personally leaning towards 2008-09 848, it's just perfectly balanced IMO!!!

·
Registered
618 Posts
OK..so do all ducati's come stock with brembos or is that an option?
All the current bikes do. Some have the regular Brembo calipers with the 320mm discs, and the upper end has the Brembo Monobloc calipers with 330mm discs. I've never had a chance to use the regular Brembo's, but the monoblocs are disturbingly good.

Also, not all the Marchesini wheels are the same. Some are cast aluminum, and the upper end are forged aluminum, and they even make them in forged magnesium ($$$). Granted, they're all better than the usual fair on a GSXR/CBR/YZF/ZX.

The Ducati.com website has a "compare" tool to see the differences between bikes.

Is the maintenance cost the same for all bikes?Like is a full service between 4-5 hundred?
There's some weirdness going on out there as far as what the shops charge for maintenance. Check out this article here for the details: http://www.bikeland.org/story.php?storyID=30661

Ducati has some suggested shop charges for maintenance, but most shops charge way higher than that. For instance, Ducati suggests $286 for the 7500mi service, but every shop near me quotes that service at right around $1000.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Ducati has some suggested shop charges for maintenance, but most shops charge way higher than that. For instance, Ducati suggests $286 for the 7500mi service, but every shop near me quotes that service at right around $1000.
Don't mean to threadjack here, but just wondering where you were able to find the suggested prices. Secret website? Anonymous contact?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Holy shit that article is crazy.Well it makes me feel good about service for the ducati's now...thank you!!!!And thank you yamaha/ducati rider...thats the kind of response i was looking for,little comparisons like that.So you feel the 848 will top the r1 huh...hmm k.But thats crazy how you guys come with brembo and high level wheels standard.Thats hottness lol.What do you guys think i can get an 08-09 848 otd for?

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Not from personal experience but I've heard the 999 is more comfortable for tall guys (more comfortable in general aswell). somebody who has tried both can probably give some more reliable information.
I suggest test riding the 848 and the 999 to see how they fit you and how they compare in power to your R6.

·
Registered
369 Posts
With this economy you could negotiate a bit I am sure. Ducati makes a great bike, I have had 4 and I really enjoy them. They make two basic motors; an air-cooled 2 valve and a water cooled 4 valve. Depending upon what you want from your bike, and what you need for performance, each is different. There are a lot of great models, a lot of people want a Superbike, but the other models are great bikes. I would not just focus so much on the SBK but try a test ride of a demo model of others as well. I ride my GT1000 twice as much as my 1098.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Holy shit that article is crazy.Well it makes me feel good about service for the ducati's now...thank you!!!!And thank you yamaha/ducati rider...thats the kind of response i was looking for,little comparisons like that.So you feel the 848 will top the r1 huh...hmm k.But thats crazy how you guys come with brembo and high level wheels standard.Thats hottness lol.What do you guys think i can get an 08-09 848 otd for?
Oh yeah i'm keeping my R1!!! It looks like the eBay is not the best place to shop for 848, i haven't seen 08 848 cheaper than $12k on eBay yet, craigslist is full of scam i wouldn't go there either.... Motorcycle public auction is one of the places might make you happy and perhaps keep an eye on eBay for a good deal!!! That's what i'm doing at the moment, but so far no luck!!!

·
Registered
618 Posts
Don't mean to threadjack here, but just wondering where you were able to find the suggested prices. Secret website? Anonymous contact?
I posted a link to that article. That article has been on countless sites since the new "50% less maintenance" marketing campaign by Ducati.

Oh yeah i'm keeping my R1!!! It looks like the eBay is not the best place to shop for 848, i haven't seen 08 848 cheaper than $12k on eBay yet
Depends on where you look. I know a dealer here in FL who has a leftover 848 they can't get rid of. He told me they'd do $10,300 out-the-door. Not sure if they still have it, but I can get you in touch with them. They can't advertise that price is the problem (because of their agreements with Ducati North America).

But then again, in today's market you can get a leftover 08 CBR1000RR for under $7k.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Have you used that article since you found it and gotten cheaper service?And i wish that was true but in cali they tend to over price things lol

·
Registered
91 Posts
There's some weirdness going on out there as far as what the shops charge for maintenance. Check out this article here for the details: http://www.bikeland.org/story.php?storyID=30661

I have no idea how anyone could expect a 7,500 mile service to cost $286...

·
Registered
511 Posts
I'm 47 and bought my first Duc about 9 months ago. It's a 4 valve Monster S4 with the 916 engine. I've been quoted between $800 and $1200 for a full service, if the rockers are still good. Add about $800 more if they are starting to flake. I'm going to do my own service on it in about 2000 more miles, and we'll see what all the brou-ha-ha is about. I kind of obsessed on them for a bit and researched the crap out of what I was looking for, then bought the S4. So far, it's been a blast, there were a couple of electrical issues when I bought it, it was used, but I bought it from a Ducati dealer and they took care of everything.

I've owned about 37 or so bikes, everything from an ATK 560 to a bunch of Japanese, some British, Austrian and a German bike. Everything but a Harley, and if they ever build a good one, I'll be the first in line to buy it.

The Duc is just another bike to me. I don't think it will last as long as the Japanese or German bikes, but maybe I will be surprised. I rarely keep anything over 60,000 miles, most are getting kind of loose by then, and motorcycles generally don't hold much in the way of value, that is why I usually buy used bikes, we'll let the first owner take the 30% hit.

I guess it all depends on what you want in a bike. This time, I wanted something fairly light, a mid to large twin (I used to have an SV650, a bitchin' little bike), just something fun to ride, and the sumbitch better start every time, too, or it's history. I looked at RC-51's, but I wanted a bit more upright riding position, KTM Superdukes and Supermotos, a bit more than I wanted to spend, some Beemers, same thing, too much money, the XR1200 Harley, naaaaah, I'm not brand loyal, if I think it's a good bike, I'll try it out for a year or two.

If you are used to an R6, the engine noise is going to bother you at first. The vibration too. Mine sounds like it is out of oil. The guys I work with seem to think it's about to blow up and they build drag racing engines for a living. I heard a couple of 1198's the other week fire up at a dealership and they make a bunch more mechanical noise than my S4.

Try whatever it is you are wanting out. If they want to sell it, they will let you ride it (as long as you are licensed). I'm still having fun with mine. Maybe I'll get another, maybe not.

Oh, yeah. Some parts prices are ridiculous. Some are average.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Y dont you think that?And great write up thank you for that.So since its this twin instead of my jap engines that im used to...how does it sound?I get that it sounds like ruff like beaten up ruff but really its not.I enjoy the sound of the new r1 because it has power and its loud.I would like a loud bike just because....my cars loud so y not make my bike loud

·
Registered
168 Posts
I bought my 748 because I just had to have it. It is like an affair with that girl you simply MUST have :)D). If you don't feel that connection don't bother.

Japanese motorcyles are awsweme. The memories of hurtling past the bowl and up the hill at Loudon, or winding up RT 100 of Vermont on my old CBR cannot be replaced. An inline four engine while perched on top of it and taking it through the gears to redline each time is a religious experience.

The Desmo is something I think of as an equal only different. The Ducati engine adds something sinister to the religious experience. What makes the engine high maintenance also makes it what nothing else is.

There is no machine like a Ducati and there is nothing like a Japanese motorccycle. Don't choose one over the other. Choose one or choose both. What does your lust tell you? Don't stop at one:D

·
Registered
217 Posts
At your size, a 999 should fit right. I'm 6'1"/205pds and the fit is spot on...The ONLY thing I don't like on the 999 is that it "feels" like a 600.....until you roll on the throttle. It has a low seat height & super-trim fuel tank, so you do NOT feel like your on a liter bike. Pegs are multi-adjustable from stock, which isn't a feature on your stock IL4s...(nice feature). Looks are dead-gorgeous, & are more rare on the street.

Downsides: Maintenance/parts are EXPENSIVE, unless you do your own/buy discounted parts...
Clutch sounds like the bike os about to fall apart (great conversation piece).
Exhaust prices are ALOT higher than IL4s....(IMO)

All in all, I'm happy with my 04 999. It's a nice bike. It's probably NOT my favorite bike EVER, but I'ld rate it near the top. The retail/resale is higher too, but the costs of maintenance/parts negate the added $$ there....

Go with your gut, it's just like when you got the R6...after all is said & done, you either wanted it or not...same/same here...just more sexy!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts