Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
never thought about getting one, but then in consideration of living in an apartment complex with no garage only covered parking, about 10 minutes ago i thought, "Maybe I should get an alarm." nice story aside.......

any you guys have one?
brand names and quality?
etc?

just lock the forks and wheels and scrap the alarm idea?
general thoughts, advice?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Last weekend, AMS had a couple of boxes of alarm systems in their garage sale. Don't think they all sold. Didn't pay that much attention myself, but you might give them a call.

Last time I was an apartment dweller, thieves drove a scredriver into the ignition switch and went for a joy ride... Keep her cable locked to something too...

·
comrade moderator
26,993 Posts
Lock the forks and wheels, cable it to something big, cover it and hope for no damage.

Alarms are a waste of money, and knowing Ducati's, I wouldn't put anything on the bike that's an additional drain on the electrical system.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hayai, i'll just lock it all up...and am considering installing a kill switch that will disallow the bike to run unless i've reset it.

thanks for the discouragement on the alarm, i didn't really want one for all the reasons.

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
Chuckracer said:
Lock the forks and wheels, cable it to something big, cover it and hope for no damage.

Alarms are a waste of money, and knowing Ducati's, I wouldn't put anything on the bike that's an additional drain on the electrical system.

I've been using a Chatterbox for three yr. on both the Duc and Triumph and neither has had a drained battery. They have been trouble free and worked as advertised. And, at $55 from Kneedraggers their a deal. I also use a heavy duty chain and lock around one of the posts in my garage...which is at the end of a long drive to the back of my house. Even with that I consider myself lucky to have dodged theft.

bruce19

·
Registered
72 Posts
tie it down to something, then check out the "xena lock"
its a disc lock with all the goodies of a installed alarm,
the best part is that it doesn't drain the batteries like my Merlin alarm system.
....now your asking why do i have an alarm system?
simple , my insurance company never heard of the product.
www.xenasecurityusa.com
i'm actually thinking of disconnecting the alarm and buying the xena,
i'm already out 140$ for a new battery.

·
Registered
128 Posts
i install car starters/alarms for a living, so i couldn't bare not having an alarm on my duc. So i broke down and ordered the Scorpio SR-i500 from tricktape.com, arrived today and installed it in ~20mins. Very nice system, and is comparable to many of the car alarms i install (i.e. Viper, Clifford, Autopage, Prestige, etc).

Now when my bike is home its stashed under my porch, covered, wireless cam'd, and docked on my condor pit-stop that has been bolted to the concrete and with a custom welded chain to the entire assembly. Yeah i'm paranoid but hell i figure if they're gonna steal it i'm gonna make them work for it.

At work is why i mainly got the alarm. I work at a "tuner shop" so i get alotta idiots who like to think its ok to sit on my bike, couple of weeks ago almost had a dumbass drop the bike on me because of the retracting kickstand. Hell today a guy decided to put his 5yr old son on my bike and decided to stand on my seat and jump around, so i quietly jumped into his car and moved the seats/mirrors and blasted his stereo. But yeah since i'm never further than 20ft from the bike the alarm is mainly going to be for warning idiots away.

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
I use a Ducati Performance alarm system on mine (It´s really a re-badged Spyball)

It´s saved my bike atleast once. Install is a snap and it works VERY good.
*Tilt-sensor/vibration sensor. - Move the bike and it goes off.
*Immobilizer - unable to start the bike when alarm is active
*Backup battery power - pull the battery and the alarm sounds
*clearly visible blinking LED in instrument cluster
*Panic button
*Signals when turned on or off. Diffrent audio and visible On and Off.

I would HIGHLY recommend it to all owners who don´t have there own garage.

In regards to power.. If the bike isn´t used in 2 weeks, the alarm shut´s down to a sleep mode. I use mine with a 5-amp battery and leave the bike for 2 weeks at a time and i have no problems starting the bike after that period.

And you get quite a reaction from 6 year old that twist your throttle when parked, only to be rewarded by a 120dB sirén. Man, those small ones can RUN when they get scared! :D

//amullo

1 - 8 of 8 Posts