Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, as some of you may know from following a thread or two around these parts and in the classifieds, I'm trying to get a hold of an Akrapovic 45mm tapered to 60 mm full exhaust system for the final stages of my 996 build.
Thing is, how does one know if they have the real thing in their hands? I'm currently looking at a system for sale and I have a photo that shows the diameter of the opening at the header as 37mm, times two.
Incidentally, the Arrow 54mm system currently on my bike has a diameter of 30mm for each exhaust port at the header.
For any amongst you who own an Akrapovic 45mm to 60mm tapered full system, is this the header diameter of your system, as shown in the attached photo?
A somewhat broader question is, where does one measure the initial diameter of an exhaust system to get it's advertised diameter? For instance, my "54mm" Arrow measures 30mm diameter per port at the headers, this Akro system I'm looking at measures 37mm and may or may not be a "45/60mm" system, I'm not sure what the stock 996 system measures at the headers, but it's supposed to be a "45mm" system.

Attachments

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,875 Posts
Measure after the ports join.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Measure after the ports join.
Gotcha, that makes sense.
So if that exhaust in the photo measures 45mm ish (since one would have to take into account wall thickness), it should be the system I'm after
I just measured my Arrow at 58mm, give or take, after the port join, which is correct for the advertised 54mm...

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,875 Posts
Yes. OD Should be about 3mm bigger than ID.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't have physical access to the system in question so I can't take measurements myself
I'm going to get the current owner to take a measurement of the OD where the ports meet as nine16 was talking about above
Here are a couple of pics, what do you think trussdude, is it the same as yours?
It definitely has a significant taper to it, but to my eye it looks bigger than a 45mm system where the ports meet

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,211 Posts
Looks like the real thing. The look of the header, pipe, collector/X-over and silencers seem pretty much spot on..
Great system. The only one that I´ve seen outperform the 55mm Termignoni Corse.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Cant remember 100% how it looked but I had a Akrapovic 45-60 on my 748R and from memory it looked like that. If you look at the welding at the Akrapovic it is the most beautiful thing you have ever seen. It is worth buying only for the weldings not to forget that it is most probably the best exhaust that you can fit to a 996.

Just make sure that you get the attachements for the cylinder heads. The are missing on the photo and looks completely different to a stock system. Very nice welded pieces of metal too.

Jocke..........

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,875 Posts
I think these welds are pretty good...

Reactions: zambony

·
Senior Narcissista
5,737 Posts
Diameter is typically given for outside, however useless that may be.
Good systems are usually 1mm thick while 'ordinary' systems are 1,5mm.
Amullo the system on the hybrid there is the 998 evoII system which is vastly different from the 996 item, nice pic though :)
The 996 system here looks legit, its the proper design.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you for the replies gentlemen, this is the feedback I needed
Vij, the pieces you talk about our included, I didn't post all the photos I was sent but I do have a pic of those.
No pic of that rather unique carbon shield that goes with the Akro 45/60mm system though. I do hope that's included, probably not so easy tracking that down either

·
Registered
567 Posts
Thank you for the replies gentlemen, this is the feedback I needed
Vij, the pieces you talk about our included, I didn't post all the photos I was sent but I do have a pic of those.
No pic of that rather unique carbon shield that goes with the Akro 45/60mm system though. I do hope that's included, probably not so easy tracking that down either

I forgot about the carbon shield. I sort of remembered that it was thing more included. Just could not remember what.

Jocke.........

1 - 16 of 16 Posts