Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 1260 Enduro and now considering what to do with the exhaust. Does anyone have experience with the Akrapovic slip on? The mechanic says it‘s not worth the money...spend twice the price on full Termignoni exhaust. But it’s winter and he’s got nothing to do so there may be a conflict of interest there.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Slip ons are generally just eye and ear candy. There’s no real performance gains to be had with slip ons.

Akrapovic exhausts are a work of art. They are definitely high quality. I’d consider a full Akrapovic exhaust if I were you.

Termignoni exhausts are nice too. I’m not going to knock them. I personally prefer the Akrapovic exhaust.

·
Registered
821 Posts
@Pacman60 First off: congrats on purchasing an awesome bike. However, a slip-on is simply cosmetic. Moreover, why would anyone spend that kind of money for an Akra full system on an ENDURO? You'll end-up scaring the wildlife your Enduro purchase was intended to see.
Seriously dude, and with no disrespect, you should have at least three or four pairs of pants and jackets for different climates and style of riding. Same for boots, helmets, gloves, heated gear (depending on where your ride), panniers, lights, tools ,stands etc. You may want to focus on priorities that have substance before useless bling.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@Pacman60 First off: congrats on purchasing an awesome bike. However, a slip-on is simply cosmetic. Moreover, why would anyone spend that kind of money for an Akra full system on an ENDURO? You'll end-up scaring the wildlife your Enduro purchase was intended to see.
Seriously dude, and with no disrespect, you should have at least three or four pairs of pants and jackets for different climates and style of riding. Same for boots, helmets, gloves, heated gear (depending on where your ride), panniers, lights, tools ,stands etc. You may want to focus on priorities that have substance before useless bling.
My garage will choke if I spend any more money on helmets, pants, jackets, boots, gloves, heated gear, etc... At this point I’m just trying to prioritize the last few pieces to finish building the new bike before the spring riding season hits. The comments confirm what I thought. I think I’ll save my pennies for the full system.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I would not buy a Termignoni exhaust sold through Ducati at this point. For all I know the quality of genuine, made and sold by Termi in Italy parts are still very high, but the stuff they sell through Ducati is junk. The welds are of poor quality, the steel is too. Coatings and finishes are rough and uneven, termi stickers fall off due to heat, baffle stacks fit poorly and cause the exhaust to sound like a dying cat due to overpressure.

I have seen Chinese exhaust systems that cost $200 with better craftmanship than some of these $3-4000 Termis they are selling today. A three plus thousand dollar exhaust system should be a finely crafted work of art, and the stuff Ducati is selling is pretty far from that mark.

If you can find a bike with an Akrapovic exhaust to compare it to, pay attention to the details and you'll see.

·
Premium Member
3,659 Posts
The Duc Multi Termi system is Ti. I didn't get it because the can is huge and ugly but the weld quality looked decent on the systems I've seen (Akro weld quality is better tho). The Akro options are better looking too but of course don't come with the upmap key... and they're not the best looking Multi options imo. (SC Project looks great, and I liked my Arrow baffled can more than the Akro options, black anodized vs. bright metal).

·
Registered
821 Posts
The Duc Multi Termi system is Ti. I didn't get it because the can is huge and ugly but the weld quality looked decent on the systems I've seen (Akro weld quality is better tho). The Akro options are better looking too but of course don't come with the upmap key... and they're not the best looking Multi options imo. (SC Project looks great, and I liked my Arrow baffled can more than the Akro options, black anodized vs. bright metal).
This thread just may well end-up as a moot point since a racing full system exhaust specifically made for a "1260 Enduro" is not readily available. Akra does not make one. Moreover, the Termi was not a very popular option for the 1200 Enduro crowd. However, perhaps the 1200 unit fits the 1260.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Don't forget there are other brands out there... I love my arrow 3/4 system.
True enough, but I was responding to the title: Akra vs Termi. Yes, the OP may have to buy something else and also buy a fuel controller such as a Rapidbike to make it run to its full potential.

·
Registered
173 Posts
My bike runs fine as-is after the de-cat and slipon... I was planning on adding a rapid bike anyway to add QS+blipper.

·
Registered
821 Posts
My bike runs fine as-is after the de-cat and slipon... I was planning on adding a rapid bike anyway to add QS+blipper.
At the risk of deviating from the topic, you'll love the Rapibike unit. In fact, it's one of the biggest performance upgrade you can make to your 1200 after a gearing change. You will be amazed at the improvement in mid-range throttle response. Without a proper fuel map re-balancing, your current set-up is detracting power from stock especially in the mid-section where you need it the most. The decibel increase acts as a placebo. A pre and post dyno run is akin to taking the red pill. This is well documented. Here's one of many threads on the topic:
Notwithstanding, an up-shift QS is an awesome upgrade.

When we include a dollar value, the best performance modifications for the money looks something like this:

Gearing (+2R)
Short Levers (in the absence of a Quick-Shifter)
Sport Tires
AFR Re-Balancing (Dyno tuned: ECU Flash or Rapidbike)
Quick-Shifter
Suspension Tuning
Lighter Forged Wheels
Lithium Battery (6 lbs savings and higher CA)
Full Exhaust

·
Registered
76 Posts
Motorcycle ownership is very much a "personal" thing. Each of us is an individual and we want our bikes to be ""individual" as well hence we spent our $ (nothing costs pennies any more!) making our bikes reflect our personal "tastes". Exhaust systems can do this as "Eye Candy" and/or "Ear Candy" and ( if your lucky) can also improve performance. Usually we take those three "benefits", rank them against our pocketbook & make decisions.

I do not have an Enduro Multi however I really like the looks of them but.................. that is not the bike does not fit the style of riding I typically do. I have an older (2016) 1200 Multistrada S but with all option packages available. That means it came with the Termi Slip-on as part of the "performance" option. I like the looks of the Termi slip-on. Even so, I have continued to put money into customization so I added a set of Akrapovic headers to the mix along with the LiFe battery, Carbon here and there, +2 rear, 525 Chain and quick change set and I have the Rapid Bike ECU & Blipper Quickshift coming.

I'd buy the Akrapovic slip-on but they are just to expensive since I had the Termi already. As a result of this mix, I got:eye candy, performance ( the full system makes a big difference & will be even better with the Rapid Bike, plus the ear candy ( but it is loud - louder than I would like).

I say it's your bike so make it your own by doing what your priorities dictate. My "mixed Akra/Termi package" even with the Rapid Bike add-on was much less than just a full Termi System. If I had not had the Termi already, I would probably have gone to a full Akra system. I do agree a "slip-on" does little for the performance aspect. If $ are an issue just use a link pipe and a slip-on & you can gain some of all three benefits as that CAT is friggin heavy!!!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Of course the dealer is pushing hard to sell the termi and was willing to drastically discount to get some service work in the door before the spring rush. But one thing to note was they said installing an Akra system would void all warranties.

·
Registered
247 Posts
In the United States, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act prevents an auto manufacturer from voiding 'all warranties' for something like an exhaust change. All they can do is void the warranty on anything that might have reasonably been effected by changing the exhaust system. So, engine yes, brakes or electronics, no. Doesn't mean they won't fight you over it, but if they tried to deny a warranty claim for a failed headlight due to an exhaust change, they aren't going to win that battle as long as you keep fighting.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I put the Termi slip on same as the PP on my 1260S. I got such a good deal from Moto Corsa in Portland OR it was worth it for looks alone. And that’s just what it is a nice looking slip on with 0 performance increase. I knew that going it so I wasn’t disappointed

·
Registered
153 Posts
All my exhaust mods were done to remove the CAT which was causing too much foot heat in the summer here, the heat was reduced by 95%.

The AFR is still within spec after the decat as dyno'ed by the dealer.

The Arka system kinda needs the heat shield to look pretty, which is a shame.

Had some fitment issues but not sure if its the Akra or the Arrow decat, either way the Akra needs to be lined up perfect to miss just touching the swingarm.

Another plus of the Akra is its so light you can remove the rear footrest assemblies, cleans up the bike no end.

·
Premium Member
99 Posts

Are there other ways to get more power and not spend as much money? Sure. But I had an Arrow system on my 2015, and I feel Akrapovic looks and sounds better.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts