Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After many years of Arai, I'm searching around for something different. I've been looking closely at the Suomy line, which seems well supported in the USA. Airoh seems to be popular with the MX crowd, however I'm searching for a full face road helmet. There seems to be a couple of re-sellers online, something called atlanta-minister and worldsportscenter. No response from them or the Airoh website requesting US seller info. Yes, I'm aware of the Euro sites FCMoto and Chromeburner selling the product.
Has anyone had experience with Airoh street helmets? My Arai, Shoei and AGV lids are still current and in use, just curious to try alternatives. My track days are behind me, so use will be spirited street and sport touring use.
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Guess not much love or experience with Airoh helmets to be had. That's OK as I found a great deal on the X-Lite 802 rr and am enjoying it very much. Cheers.

·
Administrator
12,244 Posts
I ride with an X-Lite 803 and really like it. Nice quality materials and very comfy.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I have both an X-802RR Carbon and an X-803. They are both extremely light and comfortable. After years with Arai I wanted to try something different also.

Both my X-Lites are as comfortable as any of my Arai were. They’re quieter too, and the shield mechanism is far easier to manipulate when changing shields or just taking one off to de-bug it.

The major differences between the 802RR and the 803 are the view out of the view port and the distance from your chin to the chin bar. The 803 is just simply a better helmet. It is all that the 802RR is with the minor bugs worked out.

The 802RR has this odd view where the breath guard seems to hover out in front of the shield. It’s odd and takes a little getting used to. The 803 has no such oddness to it. Other than that.... just the chin bar feels closer with the 802RR.

I can’t compare them to Shoei as I’ve not found a Shoei that fits as well as an Arai or either of my X-Lites. I have a couple of Scorpion lids too, and a Kabuto.

Of them, the Kabuto feels the lightest but has the least comfortable fit. Kabuto used to be sold as OGK if anyone is wondering what the hell Kabuto is. They were known for being light and they don’t disappoint there. Very nearly as light as the X-Lites.

The Scorpions are great bang for buck helmets. As light as an Arai but not quite as comfortable even with the pump up cheek pads. Still, the cheek pads are removeable in an emergency which is a great built in safety feature on a sub $500 lid.

I still like the high end Scorpion lids and will likely buy another (Quarteraro replica or Bautista replica?) but I’m sold on the X-Lite and for certain will buy them in the future.....sean

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the detailed review and 802 vs. 803 differences. I'm sure the 803 has lots of improvements, however I just couldn't pass up the 802 rr for $200.00 shipped to my door. I haven't had an issue with the view or breath guard hovering out in front of me so far. I wear a Medium in Arai and the Large size 802 fit me perfectly.

I'm not a big Shoei fan, however I have a RF1200 that is very comfortable and quiet. I use that lid when riding distance on my Triumph Tiger-it seems to do better with a more upright riding position.

Not tried Scorpion hats but I do have a Scorpion 2pc Leather suit and it's top notch!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts