Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all -- kicking around the idea of putting an aircooled engine into an 848/1098 frame... its an 900ss FI engine. How would it work with the (plastic) superbike tank? I suspect the fuel pump in the 1098 tank would work similar to that of the SS ie -- would the two quick release fittings on the bottom of the SBK tank simply attach to the hoses from the 900ss fuel injectors?

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
Someone will have some good answers, but you could also do a Google search for Ducati Super Twin. There's a racing series around your desired platform.

Reactions: quack748

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
I suspect the fuel pump in the 1098 tank would work similar to that of the SS ie -- would the two quick release fittings on the bottom of the SBK tank simply attach to the hoses from the 900ss fuel injectors?
Both pumps will deliver 3 bar, 43.5 PSI.

Quick release on the SBK tank - no.
See attached.

The fuel system comprises supply and return. Supply is pressurised by the pump and the return is from a fuel pressure regulator to maintain 3 bar on the 900.

The 900SSie uses the 15M controller and "dial" gauges. RPM is from the ECU and speedo is mechanical drive.

Forum member Andreas has managed to get a 5AM ECU and SBK dash to run his 2002 900SSie complete bike.

·
Premium Member
5,180 Posts
I do not think it will be an issue to us the superbike disconnects etc. You will want /need to remove one of the fuel pressure regulators from the system, I would ditch the supersports and keep the superbike. Then it will be the act of making things fit but it should not be too bad.

Dont forget the supersport cases are different at the swingarm pivots so are you planning a cantilever suspension or a linkage type? Either way you have some large modifications to convert them.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do not think it will be an issue to us the superbike disconnects etc. You will want /need to remove one of the fuel pressure regulators from the system, I would ditch the supersports and keep the superbike. Then it will be the act of making things fit but it should not be too bad.

Dont forget the supersport cases are different at the swingarm pivots so are you planning a cantilever suspension or a linkage type? Either way you have some large modifications to convert them.
Good to know about the fuel pressure regulators -- I'll have to keep that in mind. As for the swingarm, I was thinking of keeping the cantilever one I have (its a beauty, from a 1000ss ds) and do something similar to what I did a decade ago with my 900ss carbed engine...

Or see if an s2r swingarm will fit the rear of the 900ss cases, and then work with its linkage system and the 1098s frame.

·
Premium Member
5,180 Posts
I checked the s2r and 1100evo cases in the shop and both will be the same as a supersport. Shock locations obviously are different and remember the s2r is linkage 1100 is cantilever but side mount shock.

Nice track toy 900 are you planning on tracking the new bike for a race class or will it be a road bike?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I checked the s2r and 1100evo cases in the shop and both will be the same as a supersport. Shock locations obviously are different and remember the s2r is linkage 1100 is cantilever but side mount shock.

Nice track toy 900 are you planning on tracking the new bike for a race class or will it be a road bike?
Thinking of creating a neat track toy...
So if I follow -- the 1100 evo swingarm will pivot on the rear of the 900ssie cases, correct? Is the swingarm pivot axle the right diameter? With a bit of work, I think an upper mount could be fabbed for the 1100 evo swingarm on the 1098 frame and look a lot "cleaner" than my version above. Would a "old" 3 spoke 916 wheel work on the evo hub?

Anyone want to buy a 1000ssds swingarm?:wink2:

·
Premium Member
5,180 Posts
I can check the pivot tomorrow but will guess it is the same od.

I am going to guess the 916 wheels may contact the caliper as the monster will have a large rear rotor. You may be able to fit a 916 caliper hanger and gain enough room. The other rub may be the thickness of the 916 spokes. I just was trying to fit different rear calipers for a customer who wanted a stronger rear brake on his 996 and there definitely was some loss of room at the caliper from old caliper/wheel to new caliper old wheel. If you look at most new rears the spokes are thinner and more offset to the right. I do know of a customer who runs a 916 mag wheel on his 1000 multistrada and had to shave the caliper and shim the wheel to fit it.

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
Use a hypermotard if your going to build a V2 they have a stinking 1100 and Öhlins, Brembo monoblocs, forged wheels (as as Punch can testify) play with the tune :) no one wants them now so as cheap as chips. And as I said before have a poor mans NRC Millona.

Just a thought :|

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts