Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m testing water for this.

Some of you might know I purchased a 748R style airbox bottom to fit 1X98 engines into 998 (could fit 996 frame too with slight modification to the TB rod or frame). I received a few emails/PM regarding it, and the interest is always high for Lameshaft airbox; which are unfortunately no longer available. I got in touch with yoyodyne and he “can” make a copy, price to be confirmed.

Yoyodyne sells 748R airbox top for 310$. I don’t know how much he would be charging for the bottom, I expect it will be in the same range. I am fully aware it is NOT a cheap option and there are ways to modify 996 airbox to fit the engine.

Disclaimer
I purchased the kit from Strom exhaust, and I exchanged a few emails with him and he gave me the right to copy it.
I am not doing this for money, I want nothing out of it; no money nothing. I just want to facilitate the engine swap for other forum members.
I am not responsible for the design of the part. All I would be offering is a copy of the airbox I received from Strom.

This is a picture of the kit I installed on my bike. The TB rod interfere with the frame, so I bend the rod slightly because I didn’t want to dent my frame. It seems to work OK, I didn’t test the bike yet.

I have to get in touch with him to see if he could make the intake stacks too. The stack include the injector mount.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I thought you said this was crap, and it didn't work? Last we conversed, you were trying to get me to build you an airbox, that you didn't want to pay for...

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What would be the difference between yoyodyne and storm?

Just the price?
Storm no longer offer the kit. I would like the kit to be the same.
I thought you said this was crap, and it didn't work? Last we conversed, you were trying to get me to build you an airbox, that you didn't want to pay for...
I didn't say it was crap. I expected it to be bolt on and it wasn't, so I wasn't pleased with it. I managed it by bending the TB rod, as I didn't want to dent the frame*.

And for the record, I offer you to pay for your airbox conversion (and I still have one airbox I could send today for conversion if you want to do it), but you didn't want to do it. Your bike was close to running and you didn't want to remove it all.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Not when you want to low ball me on the price, funny you wouldn't pay $300 for a box that fits, but would drop over $1000 for something that doesn't. And BTW, if you had to bend the linkage in any way, you might want to check the sync, as bending the rod shortens it...

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
this is our PM exchanges
duckdawg said:
zambony said:
duckdawg said:
zambony said:
duckdawg said:
zambony said:
duckdawg said:
zambony said:
my hands are tie, I can't speak for now
but, I am interested of sending you my carbon fiber airbox. The whole project is on standby now, I don't have time to work on it...
what's wrong with the other shit you bought?...
it is not shit. The product quality is awesome. few details I don't like: the tilted intake stacks are not great with the TB angle, the TB linkage need some work to fit.

dude, you already have everything you need, just tweak it, and run it...
but, for the price I paid, I wanted to be turn key. I don't mind tweaking things, but not when I paid the extra bill for peace of mind.

I am going in the US this week, I need a notice to pack it. Do I send it to you or not?
What do you need me for? Sounds like you can make that high dollar shit work out with a few tweaks, save your $250 for the titty bar. I wouldn't touch doing another one for a penny less than $300. A turn key part is worth more than that to anyone too chickenshit to build his own. My bodyshop rate is $58 per hour, USD. That job takes every minute of six hours to do, and then some. Besides, I don't want to tear my bike apart, it's almost finished. Tweak that shit you've got, and run it. Best wishes you chiseling fuck!... LOL :D
So... I'll take that as a no @ 300$?

I'll pass, but good luck to you, personally, I think you should just run what you bought from the last guy...
You are kidding right? You pm'ed me that you want to do it, and offer your services... and when the first customer comes around the corner you back off?

dissapointing...
dude, you already have everything you need, just tweak it, and run it...

I offered you 300$ and you turned it down. Yes I offer you less to start with, but I eventually turned it down. I also offer to buy your V piece and you didn't reply to me.

1- Don't reply to that thread. It is not for you and you obviously have something against me.
2- in my previous message in this thread I offer you to convert my airbox for my other bike, because I have a CF airbox sitting around. You didn't reply.
3- Get your shit straight. I offer you less, than 100% of what you asked and now you cry about it. MOVE ON DUDE.

I'm just trying to make a kit available at large for people, I don't want anything out of it. In fact, I would probably live better without doing this.

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
Zambony, first rule. Don't post PM's. Bad form. You have made yourself to be a dick not only for doing this but also in the contents of what you said. I'm with Darrell on this one. We both run a business and know the cost or doing one offs. Sitting in you own garage wasting endless hours on your own stuff cost you nothing. It gives you no clue into the real cost. And to presume that Darrell would do it out of love for a fellow member is the height of arrogance.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I didn't want to start a war or anything. I offered him what he wanted and he refused, then came here and claimed I lowball him and say the airbox I have is shit. This is the PM exchange. nothing more, nothing less.

Nobody offers this product, including Duckdawg because he didn't want to sell it; and including STROM because he didn't want to do more.

I created this thread to "create" a product based on the version I have, to make it available because I received PM/emails of members looking for one.

If lameshaft's airbox would be available, I wouldn't be doing this. But today as I am writing this, nobody has a conversion airbox available.

I got a swingarm pivot to fit a 1x98 swingarm on a 996 and I really appreciate. I wanted to return the favor, because I know the airbox can stop people from doing the swap.

I am not a shop, and I am not trying to make money on members. I just a regular dude that like his bike too much, like the rest of us.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Dude, you don't even have a running bike yet, and you want to take it to the level of supplying a complete kit to people? Guys like you crack me up, all you think you need is a credit card. Go put on some gloves, and build it yourself. By your own admission, if I sent you anything, you would just try to copy it and sell it anyway. Go fuck yourself, you no bike building phuck... :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts