Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working on checking valve clearances and changing the timing belts. To do this I need to remove the middle timing cover. To do that I need to remove the blow-by tank. To do that I need to remove the airbox. I followed all the steps in the service manual and it will still not come out. I I have it off both cylinders and it comes out about 1 or 2 inches but is firmly held in place underneath somewhere. The manual said to remove the secondary air valve by pulling it off the pins but failed to mention removing the screw and bracket for that valve or it would definitely be in the way. I did that. Would love any tips or information about removing the airbox. Has anyone removed the middle timing cover without removing the airbox?

Please help!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Figured it out. Besides all the steps listed in the service manual, first remove the radiator. This allows access to connections to the bottom side of the airbox not mentioned in the manual. Also removal of the radiator will facilitate re-installing the airbox.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi Rhino TX

I hope you still monitor this forum from time to time...

Do you happen to have any pics of the connections on the bottom side of the airbox? I was at the part where the workshop manual states to „remove the airbox“ but it wouldn‘t move, not even a little, so I stopped before breaking anything...

I‘m trying to gain access to the throttle bodies to remove and clean them. I would prefer to keep the radiator on if possible. With your knowledge after having performed this procedure, would you remove the radiator again or would you do it differently?

I am also having some second thoughts on how difficult it will be to get the airbox back on... Did you have any major difficulties?

Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hi Rhino TX

I hope you still monitor this forum from time to time...

Do you happen to have any pics of the connections on the bottom side of the airbox? I was at the part where the workshop manual states to „remove the airbox“ but it wouldn‘t move, not even a little, so I stopped before breaking anything...

I‘m trying to gain access to the throttle bodies to remove and clean them. I would prefer to keep the radiator on if possible. With your knowledge after having performed this procedure, would you remove the radiator again or would you do it differently?

I am also having some second thoughts on how difficult it will be to get the airbox back on... Did you have any major difficulties?

Thanks for any advice!
See my post on the topic. DVT Belt and Desmo valve service, some pointers I did this job last spring. Next time I'll avoid removing the airbox. Most of the work with this job is messing with the airbox. There is a way to do the job without removing the middle timing belt cover. It would be fiddly, sure, but anything to avoid airbox mess. As for removal of the radiator is not a big deal, can't tell you if the job is doable by leaving the radiator intact. You cannot remove the airbox without removing the radiator. Post your results!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Thanks, Essing for the info!
I want to get to the throttle bodies, so airbox removal is necessary. I will give it another try as soon as I get a little bit if time and post back with the results. I guess, I will be replacing the coolant in the process...

·
Registered
125 Posts
Take lots of pics. note prior Tank hose paths. Be patient with the varied electrical connections.

·
Registered
57 Posts
@Essing I finally got around to removing the airbox today. At the end, I just loosened the radiator in order to get to the bottom of the airbox. I had some difficulties with the fuel hose on the left side of the airbox. There is very little space between airbox and frame and the hose is quite hard.
I DO NOT look forward to reinstalling it... but I guess, one day I will have to! Anyhow, thank you for your help!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts