Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first Ducati and I have a couple of questions maybe someone can help me with. I purchased a 2009 HM and got the Termi 2-1 with racing ECU installed at the dealer.

Is excessive popping normal with this setup? On other bikes this usually indicates an exhaust leak. I have checked and I can't really find anything. Where the muffler joins the pipe is moveable but not loose and the spring keeps tension on it. It could be where it connects to the engine but those are snug and also have a spring.

The exhaust came with the racing ECU and a different airbox top. Will the airbox mod (drilling a hole in the airbox) help performance or is the one that came with the exhaust good enough? Will drilling a hole in the airbox void any warranty?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
This is my first Ducati and I have a couple of questions maybe someone can help me with. I purchased a 2009 HM and got the Termi 2-1 with racing ECU installed at the dealer.

Is excessive popping normal with this setup? On other bikes this usually indicates an exhaust leak. I have checked and I can't really find anything. Where the muffler joins the pipe is moveable but not loose and the spring keeps tension on it. It could be where it connects to the engine but those are snug and also have a spring.

The exhaust came with the racing ECU and a different airbox top. Will the airbox mod (drilling a hole in the airbox) help performance or is the one that came with the exhaust good enough? Will drilling a hole in the airbox void any warranty?

Thanks for the help.
Excessive popping is not normal, have your dealer do a recheck on the TPS, and you can drill out the bottom of the airbox and install a K&N, BMC or DNA performance air filter, she'll run better and should not void your warrantee. Aloha Alex

·
Registered
256 Posts
I've got the same setup but mine doesn't pop much at all, just once or twice coming up to the lights. Especially compared to my KTM LC4 that popped like crazy.

·
Registered
670 Posts
excessive popping is not good, once in a while at a rave party it is ok though..:D

·
Registered
592 Posts
The popping and banging is solely due to air getting into the exhaust system and igniting unburnt fuel. You have a leaky exhaust somewhere. check for black soot around the joints as a first indicator. If they are leaking at the cylinder head (mine was) then you need to get in there and seal it up. I've sealed all my joints (on a zard full sys + termis) with high temp sealant and it does not pop and bang at all.

TPS?? ffs.

·
Registered
346 Posts
The popping and banging is solely due to air getting into the exhaust system and igniting unburnt fuel. You have a leaky exhaust somewhere. check for black soot around the joints as a first indicator. If they are leaking at the cylinder head (mine was) then you need to get in there and seal it up. I've sealed all my joints (on a zard full sys + termis) with high temp sealant and it does not pop and bang at all.

TPS?? ffs.
It is interesting that with some exhaust leaks, air seems to be pulled _into_ the
exhaust system despite the apparent positive pressure. I've seen this myself.
Venturi effect?

For the original thread, it would seem that fuel trim settings for the new ECU
could be incorrect leading to decel leanness... especially if the installer of the
new ECU left the trim at zero. Most DP ECU users seem to be setting the
fuel trim at +5 to +10.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts