Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Mr Leakered
8,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last time I did the valve service, I didn't really pay attention to the tube running out of the left front corner of the airbox. I just slipped it back into place along with the breather line.

I know everyone has an opinion about airfilters, but why bother when there is a free air path to the box? I've seen weep holes 1/8in or less, but a 3/8in drain?

With no oil or coolant leaks after the valve adjustment over the weekend, I'm going to be slapping the fairings on. Is there any rational reason to let this drain tube exist? FWIW, with a K&N and chopped lid that was ridden in every type of weather this past winter, there is absolute no evidence of water intrusion into the airbox. No water spots or deposits.

BTW, the Duc sure is fugly without the fairings, even if they are battle scarred. ;) Last time, I made the mistake of buttoning the bike up as soon as I was done with the service. I missed torquing the horn mount and couldn't burp the coolant lines. Lesson learned. Also after a second time through, the harmonic belt method is just a shear joy to use.

Thanks.

·
Life is too short to worry !
2,650 Posts
The tube should have a cap with a slit in it making it one way.
Never drained anything from it but guess its there just in case , maybe for oil/fumes build-up rather than water ?

·
Mr Leakered
8,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting. Mine just seems to be a rubber elbow and the tube going down.

That is the funny part, I half expected the breather line to at least drip some oil out after I let it dangle. Both times, it seems dry, which I consider wonderful.

I might pull it, grommet the hole shut temporarily, and monitor the box for a few weeks.

Have a good one.

·
2,650 Posts
Interesting. Mine just seems to be a rubber elbow and the tube going down.

That is the funny part, I half expected the breather line to at least drip some oil out after I let it dangle. Both times, it seems dry, which I consider wonderful.

I might pull it, grommet the hole shut temporarily, and monitor the box for a few weeks.

Have a good one.
Some sort of plug would do the job just as well but would need a spring clip to ensure it stayed put between services.

·
Mr Leakered
8,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will retain it with something.

Although, I just developed some larger problem. I lost all power on the commute home last night and will be posting up shortly. ;)

Have a good one.

·
Premium Member
5,634 Posts
There was a problem with these drains in the original design. Maybe only with the 4V bikes? When I got my 03, I found the drain hose had melted on the front exhaust header leaving it open at the end. The original design had it exiting at the bottom of the faring through a little hole. The end of the hose had that one way valve. My bike still had the valve in the hole. Anyway, long story short, I went to the dealer for a replacement. The new hose was much shorter and attached to the metal bracket above the forward header pipe. It has that one way valve at the end. My guess is, yours melted and someone (prior owner) just cut it clean?

·
Mr Leakered
8,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yikes. Yes, the hose does still extend down through the fairing. The end is a bit ratty from either road debris, rubbing on speed bumps, or melting on the header.

There is definitely no valve on the far end. I was scratching my head try to think how a slit valve would work at the airbox elbow. LOL. It makes sense at the end as there will be some head pressure.

I may cut that puppy short and plug it temporarily. I just don't see any evidence of fluids to warrant a drain.

Thanks for the info.

·
2,650 Posts
Yikes. Yes, the hose does still extend down through the fairing. The end is a bit ratty from either road debris, rubbing on speed bumps, or melting on the header.

There is definitely no valve on the far end. I was scratching my head try to think how a slit valve would work at the airbox elbow. LOL. It makes sense at the end as there will be some head pressure.

I may cut that puppy short and plug it temporarily. I just don't see any evidence of fluids to warrant a drain.

Thanks for the info.
Sounds a good safe bet , will await your further post to see if can shed any light on your new problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts