Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Air in clutch after bleeding countless times ?

Hey guys,

Every now and then while riding the clutch lever goes all the way back (pulled) and I’m not able to switch gears. I’ve bled the system from the slave cylinder (Oberon) multiple times by myself and by a seasoned technician but the problem persists. I’m thinking there’s a leak somewhere in the master cylinder. It’s progressively getting worse until I’ll be forced to bleed it again.

Any advice? Do I need to replace the master cylinder? OEM or aftermarket?

I have a 2006 Sport Classic 1000 mono

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,048 Posts
All depends on what was done prior to these problems coming up
Here are some reasons that the clutch may not be engaging

Clutch Actuating pin need to be adjusted

Clutch plates or basket worn and binding

Clutch slave Worn out

Master pump worn out

30mm slave will cause issues like this too

Hey guys,

Every now and then while riding the clutch lever goes all the way back (pulled) and I’m not able to switch gears. I’ve bled the system from the slave cylinder (Oberon) multiple times by myself and by a seasoned technician but the problem persists. I’m thinking there’s a leak somewhere in the master cylinder. It’s progressively getting worse until I’ll be forced to bleed it again.

Any advice? Do I need to replace the master cylinder? OEM or aftermarket?

I have a 2006 Sport Classic 1000 mono

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All depends on what was done prior to these problems coming up
Here are some reasons that the clutch may not be engaging

Clutch Actuating pin need to be adjusted

Clutch plates or basket worn and binding

Clutch slave Worn out

Master pump worn out

30mm slave will cause issues like this too
Hello Sir, thanks for replying!

• I'm not sure about the actuating pin, how does one adjust it?
  • Clutch plates and baskets are brand new (48T).
  • Clutch slave is brand new Oberon (I believe 29mm)
  • What do I do if the master pump is worn out? I assume replacing it is the way to go. Could I buy that part separately? Where can I get it and for how much?
  • Previous owner installed ASV short levers

I should also mention that there seems to be alot of play when pulling the clutch lever lightly. A friend who has been tooling around with Ducati's for years said that it didn't feel right and after he bled the system it felt better but still had some play.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Was just talking with someone this past weekend about a similar problem. He said he kept bleeding but the problem would come back. Seal in the master cylinder, I believe their is a rebuild kit.
Hello and thanks for replying sir!

I'll have a look and see if I can find the kit but would love to know where your friend/acquaintance got his kit from. :grin2:

Cheers,

Mike

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
have you burped the master cylinder? it could be a pesky air bubble in the master body between the reservoir and the clutch line. I've read some folks often forget to prime the master (by cycling fluid from the top port first)...then running fluid down the line...

and, also - yes, the attenuating pin that physically depresses the cylinder. if its to far out, too much play before contact, you wont be pushing the clutch rod enough.

temperature of the fluid, expansion, etc will have an affect on this mechanism...

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
have you burped the master cylinder? it could be a pesky air bubble in the master body between the reservoir and the clutch line. I've read some folks often forget to prime the master (by cycling fluid from the top port first)...then running fluid down the line...

and, also - yes, the attenuating pin that physically depresses the cylinder. if its to far out, too much play before contact, you wont be pushing the clutch rod enough.

temperature of the fluid, expansion, etc will have an affect on this mechanism...

As far as I can tell there is no visible way to draw fluid from the master cylinder (no nipple like the one at the slave cylinder).

I also bled the system the old fashioned way by pumping the clutch and dumping the fluid via tubing then refilling etc.

I have ordered a master cylinder replacement that will hopefully sort things out for good:

https://www.gothamcycles.com/Clutch...ch-master-cylinder-pump-with-black-lever.html

1 - 12 of 12 Posts