Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dropped in the factory pro kit on my 1997 900ss and tuned to kit specs. Really it was just the new needles, springs, and emulsion tubes. Before the kit, the engine was a tad rich. So I adjusted the floats to the spec 14mm and went 3 down on the needle. Fired fine but was waay lean. Went to adjust the air/fuel screw. (the screw was pretty gnarly to start off with) and wouldn't budge.

So, I dropped the bowls and raised the floats by 2mm each. and brought the needle position to 5.

Fired it up. No better that the first settings.

What are my options here? Drill out the brass screws?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Hi,

I would look for a new set of carbs on evilbay... If the screw was jammed in there that hard the seat is probably damaged and your not going to be able to order a new set of adjuster screws anyway.
Bummer, but as they are you will never get them tuned correctly.

Gray

·
Registered
954 Posts
One of my mixture adjustment screws is a tad chewed... I have a new pair waiting to go in - tried doing this led underneath the bike but its very fiddly - there is a spring & washer arrangement on top of the screw & I didnt want to faff & drop all this on my engine/floor... Will wait until the carbs are on my bench. :D

One of the previous owners has "removed" the surround off one of the screws, I can only assume to try and get it freed up? These get hit by all the spray off the front wheel so should have a little rubber bung in the surround to stop too much cack sticking them in? Will see if I can get the part number for you... :)

If they are stuck in then not too much you could do? Maybe a small drill & an easy-out??

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
Pull your carbs and turn them upside down on the workbench. Fill the holes that the airscrews are in with penetrant. Leave them for a day, then try to remove. Make sure the screwdriver you use actually fits in the screw slot all the way. Try to turn the needles both directions, clockwise and counter clockwise. This will help to loosen them. When you get them out, make sure the passage is clear with compressed air or spray cleaner. There are small o rings in there under the needles, make sure these are in good shape, or replace them.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
wow, you learn something new every day... I am used to working on Japanese bike and those things were not made avalable... (think 90's)

kind feel creepy, don't want to steer you into the wrong direction... sorry about that...

if they are all chewd up, your best bet will be a drill and easyout... you might want to try hitting the screw with a punch and hammer. If they are gummed up that might help break them free.

Gray

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fixed

Hey guys,
I wanted to show off my handy work replacing the seized air screws. **Not for the faint of heart!:eek:

Praying for a happy carb here!

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts