Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did somebody tried universal K&N filters directly on the throttle bodies ?

I made this with my heavily modified Road Star Warrior 102CI and the response was a lot better than any performance air filter kits available on the market.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
That's not a good idea at all for the SF. The air box is a Helmholtz resonator design. Doing away with that would creat all kinds of problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Which kind of problems ?

Something impossible to solve with a serious map on Bazzaz ?

I think the worst thing could happen is running too lean...and water on filters during rainy days.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the vid man !!!

I never open the airbox yet, so I think some carbon air ducts and performance filter will be the best setup.

·
Temporary greeter
23,088 Posts
I used to work on many old bikes with K&N "Stage 3" individual filters.

Talk about bad fueling at low rpm's :eek::eek::eek:

I'd like to tell you not to do it, but you are a big boy and can decide for yourself. That is, if you can figure out how to make one fit. :think:

Just don't say we didn't warn you.

·
Registered
140 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Might I add a little?
The 'over-the-velocity-stack' filters of the good old days cost about 10HP.
When you get close to the velocity stack turbulence occurs and goes all the way to the valve, cutting off part of the valve area.

Carbs vs FI; Carbs meter fuel based on small pressure changes (it takes about 1inch of water negative pressure to get the fuel from the float level to the throat of the carb) and FI meters fuel based on RPM and either Manifold Air Pressure or Throttle Position. TP in the case of the Streetfighter.

This means that changing the inlet configuration on a carbed bike makes a big change in fuel delivery, while it makes very little change on a fuel injected vehicle.

The way things changed on carbed bikes implies that the inlet config changed the total system air flow a lot, but in fact it didn't, just the jet size requirement.

Add to that modern sophisticated air-box design which does a pretty good job of optimizing air-flow, and removing the air-box has very little effect on the calibration.

Combining both the velocity stack vulnerability to the addition of objects close to the lip, and the 'no improvement' aspect of removing the air-box and you'll probably be creating more problems than you'll solve.
And, don't forget the tuning.

Doug

1 - 12 of 12 Posts