Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am pulling my 996 apart and doing some repairs to get ready for the RTR (ride the Rio) in about 3 weeks. Along the way I have hit a few snags and work though them. Now Im needing a new air filter??? What do you guys use?? I seem to remember reading some interesting thing on this subject on the old Ducati MS board. I almost think I remember one guy saying he uses pantyhose??

thanks
Jamie

·
Registered
167 Posts
Here's what I use, it covers the velocity stacks completely and does an excellent job. I just use the Silkolene foam filter cleaner on it and then some K&N filter oil. I've had it for over four years now, hasn't broken down a bit.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Here's what I think after reading alot about this.

Some people, including myself do not like the ITG or filters like it that take up so much space in the airbox. What makes a 748R airbox different than other SBKs? A bigger volume airbox. So why put in a huge air filter that is gonna take up tons of volume when it's clear an airbox with bigger volume is what you want? I have one of the ITG ones on my track bike as the former owner installed it. The one good thing about them, over the stock ones, is that if you wreck and your tank seal comes loose then gravel or crap could get in the motor. This will prevent that. Another thing I don't like about the ITG is that it deadens intake noise that I like alot on my 996 that has the stock Ducati air fillters. I freaking hate the sound of my 916 because of this. The stock Ducati air filters are very good and cheaper than the aftermarket ones I believe. For my streetbike I would only use the stock ones. I was thinking about the Pipercross ones that mount in the same position as your stock ones. But they are the type you have to clean and reoil. And I sure don't want to have to take apart my air runners every 300 miles.

So therefore on my streetbike stick with stock ones. Track bike, choose whatever.

·
Registered
167 Posts
grendels_arm said:
Here's what I think after reading alot about this.

Some people, including myself do not like the ITG or filters like it that take up so much space in the airbox. What makes a 748R airbox different than other SBKs? A bigger volume airbox. So why put in a huge air filter that is gonna take up tons of volume when it's clear an airbox with bigger volume is what you want? I have one of the ITG ones on my track bike as the former owner installed it. The one good thing about them, over the stock ones, is that if you wreck and your tank seal comes loose then gravel or crap could get in the motor. This will prevent that. Another thing I don't like about the ITG is that it deadens intake noise that I like alot on my 996 that has the stock Ducati air fillters. I freaking hate the sound of my 916 because of this. The stock Ducati air filters are very good and cheaper than the aftermarket ones I believe. For my streetbike I would only use the stock ones. I was thinking about the Pipercross ones that mount in the same position as your stock ones. But they are the type you have to clean and reoil. And I sure don't want to have to take apart my air runners every 300 miles.

So therefore on my streetbike stick with stock ones. Track bike, choose whatever.
I considered the airbox volume myself, but in conclusion I have also realized that a little more airbox volume is not going to lower my lap times or make my 996 keep up with an R1 in a straight line, what it does do, is keep debris out of the engine, which in the long run is the most important thing.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Yep I think you're correct. The lack of cool noise is what I dislike. The Mad Duc ones that mount directly on the velocity stacks are my option for the track bike. Serves same function as the big foam ones but dont take up volume.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I recently learned that the 998 I just purchased does not have ANY air filters.

The previous owners had installed full carbon intake runners and they don't have any provisions for air filters stock or otherwise.

There was some fine sand in the air box and air runners...looks like it had been like this for a while. Luckily there are only 3400 miles on it and its not blowing smoke.

Anyone know of an aftermarket low cost solution (haha yeah right)? I like that European Cycles one, but that's some bucks for the 998 version. :(

BTW, the ITG website is one of the worst websites i've ever visited...horrible

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the filter I have now is like the euopean specialties filter its just pretty well shot. I am kinda liking the mad duc filters

·
Registered
382 Posts
Hey Level7,

could you post a pic of your airbox? I too have a 998, and I did'nt see any filters. Either mine has not air filter or the stock air filters are inside the runners??? thanks in advance.

silver

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well I decided to go with the Mad Duc filter. It just seems that performance and protection will be better with them, not to mention that I am saving about $60.00
Thanks for the help

·
Registered
746 Posts
BMC Air Filters

Hi, I have installed some carbon air runners on my 998 but I chose to go the BMC filter route. The kit is relatively easy to install and the filters are re-usable just like a K&N filter. You do not lose hardly any air box volume and there was a noticeable difference. I did install a Power Commander as well to assist in modifying the fuel mix.

I also pulled the Nose Fairing off and removed the standard intake runner grills. These are CRAP, had trouble getting air through them even when blowing air through them at 3 inches away from my mouth!!!!
Went down to good old KMART and bought some Stainless mess designed for toaster grills ($2.00 Each), cut them out and stuck them on using double sided tape with a little Silicon Sealant.

·
Bobaganoosh
2,048 Posts
What also works is hardware wire mesh used to cover rain gutters. I got some that have a diamond shape and are easy to form...then just paint and use some 3M industrial double stick tape.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
sblea said:
Hey Level7,

could you post a pic of your airbox? I too have a 998, and I did'nt see any filters. Either mine has not air filter or the stock air filters are inside the runners??? thanks in advance.

silver
The filter are inside the runners as stated above. You'll need to take off the front fairing to look inside the runner, you should see it if it's there.

The OEM runners the seller gave me did not have filters inside them. I was hoping to put in the OEM units on until i figured out what to do with the air filter situation.

What the heck was the previous owner thinking???

BMC air filters for all other Ducati models are 65 dollars (at lockhartphillipsUSA.com), the superbike air filters are 269!!!!!WTF. They don't even list the price for the 999s. maybe it's 500 dollars for that one. Talk about gouging.

Technology is the same, mounting is different and may cost more but 2 hundred dollars more??!?!?! :(

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
jules_1972 said:
I also pulled the Nose Fairing off and removed the standard intake runner grills. These are CRAP, had trouble getting air through them even when blowing air through them at 3 inches away from my mouth!!!!
Went down to good old KMART and bought some Stainless mess designed for toaster grills ($2.00 Each), cut them out and stuck them on using double sided tape with a little Silicon Sealant.
I have large Carbon Air runners that have no provision for filters and have replaced the fairing screens, with something better flowing but I also cut the fairing intake hole bigger, which must let more air in, pic shows intake with piece I cut out for comparison....

·
Registered
167 Posts
DukeDesmo said:
I have large Carbon Air runners that have no provision for filters and have replaced the fairing screens, with something better flowing but I also cut the fairing intake hole bigger, which must let more air in, pic shows intake with piece I cut out for comparison....

Good work.. that looks great.. I'd be nervous cutting on my only one good OEM upper though, but it looks like if it's done right it's a great modification.

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
It's really easy, I marked it first with a marker pen, inside the fairing and then used a broken Hacksaw blade with tape handle (needs to be short) to cut it nice and steady so as to get a straight cut, it cuts really easy, careful not to slip/scratch but any marks would be inside the runners anyway.

I know it flows more air, as I get more flies in the filter than before.... ;)

·
Registered
746 Posts
DukeDesmo said:

Nice work, my screen is a little finer. I did look at cutting the fairing back to increase intake port size, might be next up on the list.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts