Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
K&N filter...

Hi Joe, the K&N filter does not require any modifications to your airbox. If you have the stock pipes I would only try removing the "snorkels" from the airbox lid. That way you are allowing a controlled air flow increase to the airbox without mutilating the lid or overdoing the air intake. Once you install slip-ons/pipes you should re-jet carbs and then remove completely the airbox lid. That made a noticeable improvement on my bike.:D

The good thing is that you can always re-install the snorkels back to the airbox lid and you are back to stock configuration except for the K&N filter. I hope this helps!

Regards,

Vickon:abduct:

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Might want to try the "K&N challenge", too:

Clean the INSIDE of your airbox, and spray some of the tanacious K&N oil in there. After a season of running, get in there and see how much crud is stuck to the walls (and also try to estimate how much your engine ingested !).

That's why I'm back to paper element. I save the K&N for VERY zesty rides only.

·
Registered
692 Posts
K&N filter...

I must be the luckiest owner then...:) because I check my airbox every now and then and it is clean as it can be! Maybe you used too much oil when re-oiling your filter! I even noticed that some K&N filters come way overly pre-oiled. Anyway I also cancelled the return gasses (crankcase filter) hose which may be what's causing yours to accumulate so much crud... not mine for sure!!! I am currently using an STM crankcase carbon breather with the K&N crankcase filter kit and no signs of oil accumulation near the breather either! That's my 2 cents worth!

Good luck again! :D

Vickon:abduct:

·
Chilehead
6,985 Posts
If my friend's 1951 Black Lightning and 1934 SS100 don't need filters, why would I need them on my Ducatis?

Tom

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
The K&N filter is a direct replacement and if installed correctly won't allow dirt past the edges of the airbox.Removing the snorkles in the airbox lid will admit more air but if you haven't rejetted you most likely won't notice any real difference other than more noise from under the tank.The honk noise with the airbox lid removed drove me nuts when riding on the street.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I personally prefer the ITG filters over the K&N. They seem to do a better job of allowing unrestricted air flow yet doing a better job of filtering the air.

ITG filters

·
Registered
51 Posts
The K&N filter is a direct replacement and if installed correctly won't allow dirt past the edges of the airbox.Removing the snorkles in the airbox lid will admit more air but if you haven't rejetted you most likely won't notice any real difference other than more noise from under the tank.The honk noise with the airbox lid removed drove me nuts when riding on the street.
I can't hear the "honk" noise over my Termi's:D

·
Registered
570 Posts
Hey Mister, what kind of motorcycle is that?

I have been noticing that not many people know what a "900 SUPERSPORT -DESMODUE" is! I have lost count how many times people ask me at stop lights what type of bike I'm riding.:confused:

A buddy of mine took some rolling shots of me on my bike. Most pics are of me in a "tuck" position. Looking at the pics I just realized the DUCATI decals on my tank (OEM) are conveniently obstructed by my forearm/elbow. So to most people on the road don't really see the DUCATI decal. The Ducati Capione Del Mondo decals on the rear fairings are too small to see unless you are at least a foot from the the bike. Even the Ducati Corse sheilds I stuck on the fairings are barely visible.:D Someone made a comment that Ducati intentionally positioned the decal on the tank to be unseen while the bike is moving. If I ever had to repaint the bike, I would be tempted to just put one large DUCATI decal on the main fairing so EVERYONE will know what it is!

Where the Superlights the only models that had just the one Ducati decal on the fairings?

·
Registered
635 Posts
If my friend's 1951 Black Lightning and 1934 SS100 don't need filters, why would I need them on my Ducatis?

Tom
Tom not sure if you're kidding :) But if you're really asking you don't "have" to have them but it is advisable for engine longevity to use them. Specially in dirty dusty places. With my VW's when I run without them (usually only for racing) I have to re-adjust the carbs. Otherwise I use filters to keep crap from going thru my carbs much less the grit going into my piston rings.

I did see a guy poor sand down his carb while running on a dune buggy...... kept running fine but I still say he was a complete idiot just so he could win a bet!

·
Registered
692 Posts
The only INTELLIGENT or sense that I can possiby find to that comment is that Tom's bike and his friend's 1951 and 1934 are just showroom, livingroom or hopefully museum pieces. Because I don't think a smart (intelligent) person would ride such relics without an air filter risking the complete engine and a 1951 and a 1934 restoration just because they prefer to ride without an air filter!!! It's just plain stupid!!! Unless I repeat, they are just sitting in a museum doing nothing!!!! and even there, I would have at least a paper filter!! and they need to be dusted!!! So, thanks a63buggy!!! because I was dying to read from somebody else to say something about such a stupid comment!!! The member Joepopp is looking for good advise here not comments or suggestions that undoubtly will ruin or cause damage to his engine!!! :think:

·
Chilehead
6,985 Posts
The only INTELLIGENT or sense that I can possiby find to that comment is that Tom's bike and his friend's 1951 and 1934 are just showroom, livingroom or hopefully museum pieces
No, they are daily riders. And since he restores such vehicles for a living, I think it's safe to say that he knows what he's doing.

I ran my Guzzis for decades with open bellmouths, just need new rings, valve guides, and carb slides every 10 years or so.

Tom

1 - 16 of 16 Posts