Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well seeing as Ducati are draggin their arse again . I was at a loss this morning so set about altering the air ducts.Before i did i rang my dealer & if i fucked it up a new one was only £26 so i was happy to cut it to bits.

I tried to follow the lines of the others & set about it with a pencil & a dremel. Once happy i got some Aluminium mesh & cut it to shape then offered them up. I thought they looked shit in silver , so i removed the original mesh & recut a new 1 piece to fit all 3 holes.Once happy i sprayed it with black stencil spray.
Then just a case of fixing them in with rubberised sealant.

Just waiting for it to go off properly before i nip them up , but i,m happy with the result & it should breathe a little easier..
As a bonus the size of the mesh matches the rad guards so a good result..

Attachments

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Another innovative mod Blackie.... looks like a great idea. The shape of the cutouts look right to me. Thanks for posting this.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I've thought about doing the same, thanks for posting Blackie!!

Any chance you took pics of the underside? Thanks

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did go down the road on it to my mates & it now has a rather nice roar to it

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was going to do another one in line but i thought i,d start with what i did first. I can always add another. Or even do summat tricky like pic 2

Attachments

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh i,m going to drill a hole at its lowest point as well , you know for washing , raining purposes etc etc

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Another fine job! Congratulations!

·
Registered
412 Posts
That's great Blackie.... thinking about doing the same thing! Just had knee surgery so I have plenty of down time

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Carbon Fibre air ducts - make it yourself

I could not wait and my local dealer went belly (taking my deposit with him) so I made my own. I tried it in Kevlar but that shit is really hard to cut (there's a reason it's used for bullet-proof vests)!! Couldn't get a fine edge.

It looks better in real life - the picture does not adequately show the scoop contour.

This is just a "wet" skin applied over the stock part (with a hole cut in it). The screen came from an Office Depot in/out box. Total cost to make was less than $100.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Carbon Intake Ducts

I could not wait and my local dealer went belly (taking my deposit with him) so I made my own. I tried it in Kevlar but that shit is really hard to cut (there's a reason it's used for bullet-proof vests)!! Couldn't get a fine edge.

It looks better in real life - the picture does not adequately show the scoop contour.

This is just a "wet" skin applied over the stock part (with a hole cut in it). The screen came from an Office Depot in/out box. Total cost to make was less than $100.

Sorry for the duplicate messages but this site in NOT intuitive...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
"Wet" application is where you "drape" the epoxy-impregnated carbon fibre (West Epoxy) over a mold (in this case the air duct). I did quite a bit of screwing around before I figured out how to do this.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
If they made them I'm sure they would be less than $250 for a "skin" that you could just silicone in place That's what I did)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts