Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Air cut-off valve cover for '97 900 ss

2K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  Terence hill 
#1 ·
I recently bought a '97 900SS from an individual that didn't ride very much. I got it running, thanks to Sea Foam and fresh gas. However, it seems to run very rich. I took the tank and airbox out so I could see the carbs. I noticed the air cut-off valve cover was busted and the spring was missing. With the ACV not working, would that be the cause of the rich mixture? Where can I get an ACV cover? I enjoy working on things, but I have to have parts.

#3 ·
Agreed ... I get annoyed when people use initials or abbreviations without spelling them out at least once so the reader can follow along without the distraction of having to look up some set of initials on the robot-computafied-webnet machine. Especially irritating are those that smugly post "google is a thing" when someone asks what some abbreviation or initials stand for. The idea is to allow the reader to follow along with as few distractions as necessary. I guess it falls under ~good manners~ or something along those lines. I was brought up in a different era I suppose. Perhaps it's time I stop complaining and just deal with it!

:) :) :)

#5 ·
I have never seen one broken to know but would assume that if the spring is holding fuel back and now it is not yes it may be adding fuel when it should not.

you need to figure out the carb circuit but it may be doing the same as running with the enrichener on. how much effect I do not know but if you see something broke/missing fix it and let us know.

#8 ·
So when you decelerate the fuel mixture needs to richen up a bit to help prevent backfiring as you just closed the throttle. The spring and valve are likely opening a port with extra fuel that is only added when throttle is closed and rpms are high. With it broken you may have simply added more fuel.

#10 ·
Sorry about the abbreviations ACV. While doing research, one manual referred to the Air Cut-off Valve as such. I greatly appreciate the reply and hope someone has an answer. Does a disabled air cut-off valve make for a richer mixture? And where might I find a cover for the air cut-off valve? I don't have the capability to send a pic right now. This for a '97 900 SS.

#15 ·
Hey Cookieman, I might have a spare one out in my stash...I'll check in the morning when I can see in my barn and get back to you. If I have one, you can have it for postage.

#16 ·
I checked it out and seems the diaphram is intact. The spring is missing. I think I can get a spring, but the valve cover is what I need. This one has a hole in it big enough for the spring to jump out of. Dukedr, if you have one, I will gladly pay you for it. Thanks for responding. This is a great forum.

#18 · (Edited)
I have the parts on a wrecked set of carbs. Good thing too, since Ducati doesn't offer the cap or screws.

I take it you'll need the spring, cap and the 2 screws? Would $5.00 shipped be O.K. ?

PM me for Paypal info and I'll get this out to you tomorrow.

edit: What am I saying, I'll PM you my Paypal info...

edit2: Are you sure your diaphragm is O.K.? This one is perfect, very low miles for a '94. Let me know if you need it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.