Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm fairly new to ducati and serious doing a custom/cafe bike. Im looking around for a donor bike and I want an air cooled engine, 700-1000cc, dry clutch and preferably FI. What models should I be looking at?

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
Price wise, late '90's SS or Monster 900 with fuel injection. All 900's will be dry clutch, '98 and up SS Will be Fuel injected but not all Monsters will be.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Honestly if you put clip ons on a monster, reupholster/reshaved the seat, painted the engine, frame and tank tastefully.. wouldn't it basically be a cafe racer? It sort of already looks like one 'cept for the bar risers.

·
Bon Vivant
11,310 Posts
This is one of my all time favorite Monster cafe bikes - it was done about 10 years ago before notions of cafe's were as narrow as they are now. The execution and artistry are peerless.

This is a cafe project that I mocked up a few years back based on a ZRX. I still may build this some day:

Attachments

·
Official Retired Person
7,488 Posts
This is one of my all time favorite Monster cafe bikes - it was done about 10 years ago before notions of cafe's were as narrow as they are now. The execution and artistry are peerless.

. . .
OK. Winner! That's the tits!

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
Except for the red wheels and swing arm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys for the info/ideas! So, early 900 monsters are air cooled? Can a single side swing are be adapted to an SS (with mods, of course)?

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
Thanks guys for the info/ideas! So, early 900 monsters are air cooled? Can a single side swing are be adapted to an SS (with mods, of course)?
Yes on the monsters, all were AC until S4's were introduced with the 996 engines in early 2000's, they had SSSA after 03 I think, on the larger models.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've kinda narrowed it down to a 2000-2002 M900. Thanks for the help!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts