Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
1st Gen Hypermotard Hooligan
984 Posts
You make it look so easy, Jorge! :laugh:

Very cool, so neat and organized too. You could work at the Ducati factory! Liked that you fired it up at the end; got my blood going to go for a ride. :grin2:

Is taking the Hyper apart a secondary hobby or just a good chance to do a thorough cleaning and inspection? I get the idea you've done this before... :)

·
Registered
928 Posts
Nice job on the video and the bike, another hyper 1100 with a street fighter
clutch cover I wonder how many have been taken off Street fighters and
put on Hypers.

·
Mexican Ducatista
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You make it look so easy, Jorge! :laugh:

Very cool, so neat and organized too. You could work at the Ducati factory! Liked that you fired it up at the end; got my blood going to go for a ride. :grin2:

What was the reason to take it apart in the first place? :)
Thanks for the nice words Pal!

To be honest, it took a long time. I just placed the camera in the same spot every time. I even had to wash my Workshop-Yoda-T-Shirt twice during the process.

The reason for taking it apart in the first place:

It took some abuse on it's dirt days with knobby tires. No matter how thoroughly I washed it, there were always some corners I could not take the dirt out from without removing parts. So I decided to remove all of them and grab the opportunity to work on the engine (valves, belts and cleansing).

I also had to paint the panels again because the old paint job received some damage while riding in the dirt.

Some closer look pics:

·
Mexican Ducatista
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice job on the video and the bike, another hyper 1100 with a street fighter
clutch cover I wonder how many have been taken off Street fighters and
put on Hypers.
Got the idea from @Austen a few years ago

·
1st Gen Hypermotard Hooligan
984 Posts
Thanks for the nice words Pal!

To be honest, it took a long time. I just placed the camera in the same spot every time. I even had to wash my Workshop-Yoda-T-Shirt twice during the process.

The reason for taking it apart in the first place:

It took some abuse on it's dirt days with knobby tires. No matter how thoroughly I washed it, there were always some corners I could not take the dirt out from without removing parts. So I decided to remove all of them and grab the opportunity to work on the engine (valves, belts and cleansing).

I also had to paint the panels again because the old paint job received some damage while riding in the dirt.

Some closer look pics:
I gotcha, I know the feeling about not being access all areas to clean. Well, it's certainly spotless now and looks like a brand new bike that's never seen dirt before. :) Really cool video, I hope you get a lot of views. Seeing you assemble it piece by piece, it really makes me realize how special these bikes are in a different way; the OG air cooled Hyper I think will age gracefully as a respectable Ducati with the best of them. Very minimalist, no unnecessary piping and wiring harnesses for sensors that govern your riding inputs. Perhaps when you went through the process it made you think some of the same things or gave you another emotional bond with the bike. You sure knew what you were doing and weren't humming and hawing making yourself look pro.

I like your Hyper a lot, the red sub frame and graphics are great. It really looks like a bike that could've come from the factory. Sometimes people will do mods and you can always tell it's not the way it came stock but what you have really does look like a factory bike and I mean that in the most positive way; my compliments, sir.

·
Mexican Ducatista
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice work! As mentioned above looks OEM. Are you planning to add an exhaust?
Thanks!

My exhaust cans looks stock but they were chopped and cored. With the catalytic converter still on, it is the equivalent of having an unrestricted slip-on. That is why I have a DP ECU and and a MWR air filter lid. It runs and sounds great IMO.

There are some old pictures where you can take a closer look here:
Side Corse Stripes on 1st Gen Hyper - Lots of Pics

·
Registered
19 Posts
Really nice video. Did you rewrap the wiring harness? Mine is looking a bit rough (tape is faded and losing its grip).

·
Mexican Ducatista
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Really nice video. Did you rewrap the wiring harness? Mine is looking a bit rough (tape is faded and losing its grip).
Thanks!
Fortunately I only had to rewrap small segments.

This is the same tape they used at the factory.
I used this stuff when I re-wrapped the most offensive part of my harness: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BX94SMY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I don't know if it's any better than the Tesa stuff, but it's working fine so far.
The tape I used was Tesa, but the other one seems to be as good as it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts