Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
every day i have to bleed my front brakes. no fluid on the ground. even if i dont ride the bike. i still need to bleed the brakes. any ideas?
13 mts

·
Registered
883 Posts
try over the non riding days-nights, locking your front brake on, i.e. a snap tie pulling your leaver back to the bar. if its your rear, try removing the calliper turn it upside down when you bleed it, so that the bleed nipple is at the highest point, best way to get the air out.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
try over the non riding days-nights, locking your front brake on, i.e. a snap tie pulling your leaver back to the bar. if its your rear, try removing the calliper turn it upside down when you bleed it, so that the bleed nipple is at the highest point, best way to get the air out.
ill try that thanks

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
try over the non riding days-nights, locking your front brake on, i.e. a snap tie pulling your leaver back to the bar. ...
With the rear brake, you can put a brick on it overnight or such.

HOWEVER, while this may work, just for the sake of FWIW and discussion ...

I've also read posts by some (not all) professional mechanics saying you should never do this as brake system seals were never intended/designed to be under constant pressure. Certainly no brake OEM would recommend the zip tie technique. I've also read posts of this technique going bad and seals giving way. Some (not all) professional mechanics maintain that a proper cleaning and a proper bleeding (with a powerful air compressor ... if you have one, of course :)) is the only proper way to get air out.

Again, this is just FWIW and discussion. I have used the zip tie technique with successful results in the past, but I'm more leery of it these days.

The truth is, like a lot of things in life, proper technique or not, sometimes it comes down to whatever works to get a job done.

·
Sophomore Member
3,192 Posts
i understand this but its so much air id expect some fluid loss
Given the symptoms, I anticipate you are getting air into the system through the master. When you release it, it is sucking in air (as opposed to pushing fluid out). I'm guessing your reservoir level hasn't dropped. This would be further evidence of my theory.

You can buy a rebuild kit for $25 (check Gotham Cycles). The only thing you will have to figure out is what size cylinder the master has. Gotham can probably help you answer that question.

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Try bleeding the brakes at the master cylinder, my friend's 2013 S model had similar symptoms, when we bled the brakes at the master cylinder it got the air bubble out and it's been fine ever since.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Try bleeding the brakes at the master cylinder, my friend's 2013 S model had similar symptoms, when we bled the brakes at the master cylinder it got the air bubble out and it's been fine ever since.

Have not touched the bike all winter. Been trying to buy a house on the weekends. Just zero time.
I have blead it from the master. Assuming the master cylinder is the one on top.
Same thing happens.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Given the symptoms, I anticipate you are getting air into the system through the master. When you release it, it is sucking in air (as opposed to pushing fluid out). I'm guessing your reservoir level hasn't dropped. This would be further evidence of my theory.

You can buy a rebuild kit for $25 (check Gotham Cycles). The only thing you will have to figure out is what size cylinder the master has. Gotham can probably help you answer that question.
The res level has not dropped. I can't find any fluid anywhere. I will be getting in touch with this company soon. Riding season is upon us. I need to get out.

Thanks again

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
If you had a leak you would see fluid somewhere IMHO.
If you bled the master and still doesn't bite correctly then I would try the reverse bleeding system, if you look it up even on u tube you'll find it foolproof.
Has worked for my clutch!

Reactions: Wolverine1

·
Registered
138 Posts
Agree with LaRossa, try the reverse bleed first, it's a lot easier to push the air up and out then down, it will also ensure there is no air in the master cylinder and all the brake fluid is fresh.

If that doesn't work then start looking at the master cylinder.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Had the same issue on my Multi so changed the fluid to Motul 660 Brake fluid and the issue has gone away, tried all of the suggestion in the post and had it back at the service shop with the same result. The change in fluid type has worked.
Z

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you had a leak you would see fluid somewhere IMHO.
If you bled the master and still doesn't bite correctly then I would try the reverse bleeding system, if you look it up even on u tube you'll find it foolproof.
Has worked for my clutch!
I'll look it up and try this weekend. Thanks

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Had the same issue on my Multi so changed the fluid to Motul 660 Brake fluid and the issue has gone away, tried all of the suggestion in the post and had it back at the service shop with the same result. The change in fluid type has worked.
Z
That's the next step for me. I'll try this and then see what happens.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Also I emailed gothan cycles. But no reply. Has anyone had experience with them? How long does it usually take to hear back?

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
You can also try speedbleeders, Russell makes them and work well on any system.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts