Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, just about everyone on here has a DP air box. Where the heck are you getting these? The only ones that I can find are the ones that come in the Termi 1/2 and full system kits. Is there some other way to get a DP air box lid or some other after market lid?

·
Registered
511 Posts
If I remember right, which I may not, all you need is a hole saw. I installed mine with the Termi when I bought the bike - almost 2 years ago... Anyone?

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Yeap, hole saw top AND bottom, plenty of air, more the better as the airbox volume is small.

The DP lid is a factory lid with a big hole .. it is that simple.

·
Registered
346 Posts
The hole saw size is 2 1/8 inch. You cut out the round portion of the
lid directly over the air filter center cavity. There are pics on this forum
if you search, but it's pretty obvious once you look at the lid. Getting the
lid off is more work than cutting the hole. If you lift the front of the fuel
tank a couple inches (no need to remove it) you can get to all the nuts
holding the airbox lid. On some bikes the fasteners are somewhat over-
torqued from the factory... people have reported spinning the inserts in
the fuel tank at first removal and having warranty claims. I soaked mine
in a penetrating oil overnight and all the nuts broke free without issues.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Yes and you can holesaw the bottom of the airbox where the filter sits so can pull air from both ends, all said and done is maybe 2HP, if you get rid of the airbox and use a velocity stack kit with pod filters you gain 7 or 8HP. No mapping needed if you have a DP ecu that came with the pipe or cam kit.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Yes and you can holesaw the bottom of the airbox where the filter sits so can pull air from both ends, all said and done is maybe 2HP, if you get rid of the airbox and use a velocity stack kit with pod filters you gain 7 or 8HP. No mapping needed if you have a DP ecu that came with the pipe or cam kit.

I bought the velocity stack kit and boy what a difference!!! You WILL notice the kit. The power smoothes out and just feels right. Seat of the pants dyno says more midrange. Best bang for the buck so far. As a side bonus, the Ducshop is a class act to deal with, great people, great products.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

What is the price for the velocity stack kit? I never see anything listed for the hypers that has anything to do with the airbox. Maybe I am just looking in the wrong place.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
all said and done is maybe 2HP, if you get rid of the airbox and use a velocity stack kit with pod filters you gain 7 or 8HP.
Do you have a dyno chart difference to substantiate that?, many claims are made but not a lots seems proven.

Most peoples levis dyno seem to be greater than the real difference, it is louder so it is more powerful syndrome.

The other factor which for our warrant of fitness 6 monthly they are cracking down hard on noise and the pods certainly yell at you.

Anyway, I would be interested to see the results of a direct comparo, same bike, same day, same dyno as they vary considerably.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Has anyone switched out the air filter for a better flowing one? It is funny that when I search for these things from the vendors that I can not find them.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
K&N, BMC and others around, I have K&N, to be honest they are all very similar, I bought the K&N as it has softer rubber each end which will form a better seal.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Do you have a dyno chart difference to substantiate that?, many claims are made but not a lots seems proven.

Most peoples levis dyno seem to be greater than the real difference, it is louder so it is more powerful syndrome.

The other factor which for our warrant of fitness 6 monthly they are cracking down hard on noise and the pods certainly yell at you.

Anyway, I would be interested to see the results of a direct comparo, same bike, same day, same dyno as they vary considerably.
Yes, here it is. I used our shop Hyper as a test mule, same day, same pump gas, same tire ect... we pride ourselves on not pushing hype.
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=55063&highlight=ducshop+stacks

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Good to see the results.

So did you have a stock filter or K&N on your airbox test as the stock filter is very restrictive.

I can't see how there would be very little difference from stock to open especially top and bottom.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Good to see the results.

So did you have a stock filter or K&N on your airbox test as the stock filter is very restrictive.

I can't see how there would be very little difference from stock to open especially top and bottom.
Was everything in the DP kit, pipe, filter and lid. I only saw a gain with the stock airbox with no filter because of no restriction from the rubber filter ends. I have never seen a gain from a K&N, BMC ect...just better filtration.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts