Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I was in a rush to do an oil change and some how managed to put too much oil in my bike, rode it and it started shooting a massive amount of smoke out of the back, oddly enough it was the third ride on it since the oil change and I didn't notice any smoke on the two rides before that!?!?! On the third ride it was impossible to miss, it looked like something from James Bond's Aston Martin :( :( How come it didn't smoke on the very first ride? and did I damage anything? What's the worst case scenario. Just like to say thanks In advance since I'll be outside kicking myself.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
I think a followup to this would be good when you are finished draining some oil to get to the correct level.

Because all kinds of bad things can happen when you have waaay too much oil. Like broken rings and stuff. But I'm sure that didn't happen to you, right?!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advise. Well I took it out today and flogged it, nothing seemed amiss, anything I should look for? I imagine If I did any damage to a piston or ring smoke would be comming out of the exhaust at full throttle. I still can't believe I screwed up something as simple as an oil change :(:(:(, I'm thinking I didn't wait long enough for all the oil to drain down into the pan and then put in the amount I aways do....

·
way huge member
28,718 Posts
Naw, it's fine. You didn't hurt anything. I did the same thing on my second oil change on my 749, so you're not alone!

I just leaked a little bit out with the drain plug. Kind of tricky, but I got lucky and it worked.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.