Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm 29 and have a perfect driving record. I have Geico for my 2 cars with full coverage, $100 deductible, only $78 a month. It was still only $89 when I had 3 cars, great right?!

I called from the dealership before I left with my bike after doing all the paperwork and to my wicked surprise, they are like totally RAPING me on insurance! With a $1,000 deductible, they are charging me $179 a month, JUST for the bike!!! Holy crap! I did just get my permit and don't have my license yet and haven't done an MST course yet but even after they said it would only knock-off $65 a YEAR!

Please suggest who I can call on Monday for some reasonable insurance for my 848!

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Kinda hard to say what you're gonna get. I was paying about $400/year with Geico with about the same conditions on my 749Bip. Earlier this year, I switched to Progressive via USAA when I got my DR-Z400sm. They were rediculous when I priced the for my 749Bip prior to selling it, but slightly cheaper for the DR-Z at about $175/yr, so I made the switch from Geico to Progressive.

When I added my 749R, my premium went up to just under $250/yr for both bikes. That's with $250/$500 deductibles on comp./collision respectively ('06 DR-Z/'05 749R)

I am 31 now, so not sure how much that has reduced my premium compared to 29. All I can say is it's really a crap shoot and can only suggest that you shop around. I can say that in the past 10 years with Geico, they have been very forgiving on a couple of speeding tickets that should have resulted in some crazy premiums. One final note, I just noticed that you are in the process of getting your motorcycle liscense, so that is probably the red flag. Even so, as a new liscensee 10 years ago, on a '95 900SS/SP, I was paying about $500/yr full coverage with Geico

·
Registered
127 Posts
Call every agent for every different company you can find. Shop around. Find a better rate. Some Companies hate sport bikes. some Companies charge the same for them as they do cruisers. You just need to take some time and shop around.

There is one website out there that the agency I used to work at would buy leads from. It's called netquote.com. what that site does is take the information you gave the site, and send that info to lots of agents in your area. So you give your information once, and you get calls from agents with quotes.

If you use netquote, or call and agent, speaking as an ex-agent, please do not "forget" any tickets or accidents. You waste an agent's time by getting a quote and not fully disclosing your driving record. I'm not really talking directly to you here on this one. but the whole audience that might read this thread.

Lastly, want cheaper insurance? buy a cheaper bike... BMW, Porsche, Benz, etc. all cost more than honda, toyota, Nissan, which all cost more than ford, dodge, chevy, etc. Also, sports anything (cars, bikes) cost more than standards...

Oh yea, ask them for a breakdown in the price. how much is collision, comprehensive, and liability. I'm willing to bet that comp is higher than collision. at least it is here where I live... Bikes are extremely easy to steal. Someone posted here a few years ago a link to a youtube video of security cam footage. a van drove up, 2 people got out, lifted a bike into the van, and was off. took less than 30 seconds. on a public street in broad daylight in brooklyn.

Good luck finding cheaper rates!

So I'm 29 and have a perfect driving record. I have Geico for my 2 cars with full coverage, $100 deductible, only $78 a month. It was still only $89 when I had 3 cars, great right?!

I called from the dealership before I left with my bike after doing all the paperwork and to my wicked surprise, they are like totally RAPING me on insurance! With a $1,000 deductible, they are charging me $179 a month, JUST for the bike!!! Holy crap! I did just get my permit and don't have my license yet and haven't done an MST course yet but even after they said it would only knock-off $65 a YEAR!

Please suggest who I can call on Monday for some reasonable insurance for my 848!

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
12,354 Posts
The bike is the cheap part...I feel your pain. Shop around it won't be cheap, all depends where you live , seems ..
New rider no license yet no MST..oh boy....
Good reason to get your motorcycle license at 16 years old.
Get all that stuff out of the way ,pay up , forget about it and go for a ride it will all be worth it....

·
Registered
207 Posts
I have 3 Duc's & 2 harleys with Geico $1300.00 and change a year but i'm 45 and i have long list of tickets..:think:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Shop around, for sure!

Also, go get your license and take the safety class, then when you call around and already have that stuff under your belt, the premiums will be that much lower to start with.

And usually you get a discount with multiple vehicles, etc.

My family has had the same insurance company since before I was born, so they really give us a good deal.

But it pays to shop around. That sounds HELLA expensive! It's way WAY more then I have EVER paid for even car insurance!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I am in SC with state farm on my 09 1198 - 68.00 a month - 250 deduc. 100K/300K coverage - pretty much you breath on it wrong I can get it fixed.

·
Premium Member
5,655 Posts
You just bought an expensive high-performance Italian Superbike that is not really intended to be a starter bike. You do not yet have a motorcycle license, rider training or riding experience(?), and you're looking for inexpensive insurance?

Much luck to you...

The new rider thing is going to kill you. There is a lot to be said for starting with a smaller less expensive bike both in cost of ownership and staying alive long enough to become less of an insurance risk. Not trying to be a prick, I really mean that. I understand the want for toys, just be ready to pay a bit more until you get some years on the road. Sign up for the MSF course. I've taken it a few times AND I was a certified rider coach for a few years. I will probably take the course again at some point. It's a very good class if you do there to learn.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have 15 years on these bikes, just not in this country. Thanks though for your concern.

I'm hardly a newbie though...

Even still I plan on doing the MST course and also the CHP course.

·
Premium Member
5,655 Posts
I have 15 years on these bikes, just not in this country. Thanks though for your concern.

I'm hardly a newbie though...

Even still I plan on doing the MST course and also the CHP course.
Not challenging your riding skills, and to be fair, you didn’t offer any background other than you have a learners permit and no training. Just pointing out the obvious as viewed from an insurance company that will be expected to shell out a few $K to buy new plastic after you drop it duck walking it around a parking lot. Maybe you should offer them proof of your riding experience abroad. It could help.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fair enough, it's all good.

I offered and Geico said that in CA they require that I have a valid CA cycle class license for 3 years, no excuses. They didn't want to budge so I'm going some place else that will be more fair.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hells YES!!!!!!!!!

I just got setup by a local State Farm agent and now only pay $37.88 a month!!!!!

Screw Geico! I should close ALL my insurance with them for screwing my so bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Hells YES!!!!!!!!!

I just got setup by a local State Farm agent and now only pay $37.88 a month!!!!!

Screw Geico! I should close ALL my insurance with them for screwing my so bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yes State Farm is the best for motorcycles insurance; bar none. I went from Progressive to State Farm when I picked up the 848... Saved me about a grand a year.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Shopping around is key - I just got an '09 Hypermotard and was quoted between $545 - $1400+ per year when calling State Farm, Allstate, Geico and Progressive.

I went with State Farm. I do have one ticket 2 years old that is affecting my rate a bit. The crazy thing is -- if I had gotten the 848 -- my rate would have been over $100 cheaper as policy is affected more on displacement.

·
Premium Member
12,354 Posts
Shopping around is key - I just got an '09 Hypermotard and was quoted between $545 - $1400+ per year when calling State Farm, Allstate, Geico and Progressive.

I went with State Farm. I do have one ticket 2 years old that is affecting my rate a bit. The crazy thing is -- if I had gotten the 848 -- my rate would have been over $100 cheaper as policy is affected more on displacement.
Your right Crazy ...Doesn't seem to make any sense those insurance companys... Up here you can expect to pay around $1000 a year for a Decent bike which sits for at least 4 months of the year...Depends where your at ....
Glad you got relief...
Now with all the cash you saved ,Come back down to earth and don't cheap out and get some protection for yourself =Good riding gear!!!
Whoile your bombing around check out the BMW Motor Wear , Very expensive ,looks like Quality gear ,that will do thw job and last a long time,,,
Take your time with the new toy and be SAFE and SMART while learning the "Qwerks" of the bike...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts