Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologise that this is an old question but I just wanted to clear a few things up.

I have just bought a 2002 998 bip and looking to make some adjustments. I had carbon termis on my old 996 sps and I loved the sound.

In terms of what to go for for the 998 I am assuming given 45mm headers that’s the easiest fit, but for the 50mm cans do I just need the y tube to convert 45 to 50?

That said do I need to change ECU or no need?

Happy to know everyone’s thoughts and apologise if this topic has been done to death.

If it’s just the y pipe I need to get where’s best place to buy that as not looking to buy whole new 50mm system as would assume that will need remapping.

Thanks for the help and sorry for the newb question

HP

·
Premium Member
543 Posts

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
In terms of what to go for for the 998 I am assuming given 45mm headers that’s the easiest fit, but for the 50mm cans do I just need the y tube to convert 45 to 50?
-- Just the slip-on will work. You can go with the 1/2 system if you like.

That said do I need to change ECU or no need?
-- Not if it is for cosmetic purposes, yes if you want to make used of them

If it’s just the y pipe I need to get where’s best place to buy that?
-- Wherever the internet takes you. Ebay, HSBK Racing, Motowheels...

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
The ecu is programmable on the 998. Just need a scan tool

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Scan tools availability?

The ecu is programmable on the 998. Just need a scan tool
Gary,

I just picked up a 2002 998 and I am just starting to learn about the tools available. Is there a thread about the scan tool and/or other electronic goodies to maintain the bike? All the hand tools seem to be available but I don't see much on the electronics. Thanks. -Gordo

·
Registered
33 Posts
Gary,

I just picked up a 2002 998 and I am just starting to learn about the tools available. Is there a thread about the scan tool and/or other electronic goodies to maintain the bike? All the hand tools seem to be available but I don't see much on the electronics. Thanks. -Gordo
Keep in mind you're going to be looking at a bit more than plugging in the scan tool. Depending on what you're looking for, a true tune would be done with wideband o2s on a dyno- regardless of how you were making the adjustments (scan tool/piggyback/etc).

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Keep in mind you're going to be looking at a bit more than plugging in the scan tool. Depending on what you're looking for, a true tune would be done with wideband o2s on a dyno- regardless of how you were making the adjustments (scan tool/piggyback/etc).
EPFlyer, You are right! For now, I'm only gathering tools and learning. I would never play with the tune on this bike anyway because it runs perfect as is, and was already tuned by a shop as you describe (I got all the service records with the bike). I'm a former racer and an experienced mechanic, so I know better anyway. The plan is to buy a 998 basket case and build another one. I may just put this one in the living room... :). -Gordo

1 - 8 of 8 Posts