Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again,

I am on the hunt for a red/white tail for 95 916 (mono). but i am have a hell of a time finding an original ducati one that is not messed up or 500 bucks. so i was looking at the Chinese ones. i hear they are "iffy" to install, but the build is ok....

thoughts? anyone with experience?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hello again,

I am on the hunt for a red/white tail for 95 916 (mono). but i am have a hell of a time finding an original ducati one that is not messed up or 500 bucks. so i was looking at the Chinese ones. i hear they are "iffy" to install, but the build is ok....

thoughts? anyone with experience?
I guess it depends on your use for the bike. If you want it to look and fit like a factory tail, or need something that's 100% in terms of quality, factory is the way to go. If you just want a mono tail for the sake of having a mono tail, I think there is nothing wrong with the Chinese stuff from a more reputable overseas shop. I picked up this tail from an eBay shop for ~$130 shipped to the US, but it ended up being free because it took an extra month to get here (arrived after I filed a claim and the vendor said just keep it). I would buy again for $130, but my bike isn't a show piece, so I don't care that it's Chinese made. Do expect the possibility of having to make some tweaks like drilling out holes to make things line up.

Attachments

·
Registered
444 Posts
Generally it's a "lucky dip" when it comes to aftermarket plastics which is pretty well documented & debated in other threads on this forum.
My own personal experience is not a pleasant one.
The aftermarket unit was one of those pre-painted Chinese eBay items. (Colour match was atrocious, had to repaint it)

The tail unit looked ok at first glance , the biposto seat pad fit fine , but noticed something was amiss when installing the vent mesh. OEM mesh was approx 1/2in larger in both length & breadth in relation to the size of the holes in the tail unit, so I had to make new pieces that fit.
There was also no mounting points whatsoever for the tail light & the same goes for the seat lock / locating mechanism, so again I had to make all the brackets & epoxy them onto the tail unit.

The overall size difference of the entire tail unit began to really become obvious when replacing the biposto seat pad with a mono seat pad. The tail units overall dimensions were that small that when standing at the rear of the bike, the seat pad sat almost 1/2in higher than the tail unit , so high in fact that the staples holding the seat cover to the base were exposed & clearly visible.

I'm unfortunately not able to show you any clear pics of the size difference, I simply refused to take pictures of my bike from that angle.
I can show you these
1. Biposto seat fits fine , if you're happy with the look
2. Mono seat looked ok from certain angles , just had to close your eyes when standing at the back
3. Bit of a size difference, only pic I've got
4. New aftermarket tail unit , this unit was raw, straight out the mould & unpainted. Came with all the mounting points for tail light & locking mechanism. Literally identical in size, weight & fitment to the OEM part.

As I said " it's a lucky dip"

Attachments

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
I agreed w/ the above statements and would like to add on all Chinese tails I have found that on the bottom front of the tail (gas tank end) the small bridge that supports the metal hinge that is bolted up into the seat has an excessive amount of plastic exactly where the hinge fits. It can be ground/sanded down to make a much better fit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts