Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As i'm sure you are aware, those seats are not made for long journeys and i want to replace the stock piece of wood they make you sit on with something more comfortable....anyone have good experiences to share about corbin or another type of seat?

Has anyone actually gone and got themselves a custom seat made? I found a place where you can get them made for about $400...

·
Registered
159 Posts
Corbin Seat

I bought a corbin seat for my FE, cannot describe how much more comfortable it is than the stock seat, I would recommend it. I rode the FE from Nashville to VIR & back, about 1500 miles, without any issues.

W

·
0 Posts
Two thumbs way up for Corbin. It takes some getting used to just because the shape is so different, but your nether regions will never stop thanking you.

It also comes with some very clever fold-out cargo hooks, and a small plastic canister to put your registration and other small items into.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Woozer, the Sargent seats have the hooks and storage tube for their standard 2-up seats. Don't know if they make a seat for the FE. Corbin doesn't have those features.

J

·
0 Posts
Does the seat fit the same as stock, placement, attachments, etc.? I was in another chat room where people were saying good and bad about the Corbin as far as comfort. I have been looking for a new seat for me SS900.

·
Registered
159 Posts
jturco said:
Does the seat fit the same as stock, placement, attachments, etc.? I was in another chat room where people were saying good and bad about the Corbin as far as comfort. I have been looking for a new seat for me SS900.
I recommend the corbin seat for the FE, it does take a little time to get used to because it is slightly wider on your arse but much more comfortable.

The seat bolted right on using stock holes, no drilling etc.

DirtyBrit, I'm from near Blackpool originally, moved to the states 20 years ago. Funny how we both ended up with an FE.

W

·
0 Posts
duc97sp1 said:
Woozer, the Sargent seats have the hooks and storage tube for their standard 2-up seats. Don't know if they make a seat for the FE. Corbin doesn't have those features.
Ha ha a mind is a terrible thing to lose. I saw the little Italian flag and immediately saw Corbin and thought Sargent. Of course you are right and I am extremely happy with my SARGENT seat! Yeah, that's it.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Same here. I tried a Corbin on a 900ss and really liked the way I sat 'in' the bike. Tried a Sargent and it didn't have the same feel, more like I was sitting 'on' the bike. I asked if they could make me a seat shaped like the Corbin. The weren't able to do it on their pan so I bought a used oem seat on e-bay, sent it to them and they re-did it the way I wanted. They thought the seat portion would be too thin but I convinced them that's the way I wanted it. Great customer service and a great seat. I couldn't get the hooks or the storage tube (too bad, it would be perfect for cigars :() but I've had it on the bike for 6 years and 22k miles and it looks like new.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
duc97sp1 - you have any pictures of the job they did? - i'd be really interested to see what they did.

I keep hearing the Corbin is a good seat, but i really not sure about the style of it.

·
Premium Member
655 Posts
FOR MONOPOSTO SEATS: I think only Corbin makes a solo seat for the SL And FE models. You can get one from Sargeant but it will have to be custom made ('though they used to make the solo seats).

FOR BIPOSTO SEATS: The Sargeant is the way to go. Much lighter than the Corbin and it has the retractable hooks and storage compartment.

FWIW, I like the aftermarket seats only for Long Distance riding. Defintely great for that. But the aftermarket seats are lousy for hanging off and for trackdays. For that I revert back to the OEM solo seat or the OEM dual seat. YMMV.

·
Registered
218 Posts
edwyun said:
FOR MONOPOSTO SEATS: I think only Corbin makes a solo seat for the SL And FE models. You can get one from Sargeant but it will have to be custom made ('though they used to make the solo seats).

FOR BIPOSTO SEATS: The Sargeant is the way to go. Much lighter than the Corbin and it has the retractable hooks and storage compartment.

FWIW, I like the aftermarket seats only for Long Distance riding. Defintely great for that. But the aftermarket seats are lousy for hanging off and for trackdays. For that I revert back to the OEM solo seat or the OEM dual seat. YMMV.
Agreed!

·
Registered
200 Posts
I like to have both feet on the ground and being 5'8" an inch or two of seat height makes a big difference. There is less padding in the Corbin than the Sargent. It's a two edge sword in that it gets my toes closer to terra firma but is also harder than the Sargent. With my seat Sargent didn't go quite as thin with the padding as Corbin but it is noticeably less than their seat. I'll get some pics this weekend.

·
Registered
423 Posts
edwyun said:
But the aftermarket seats are lousy for hanging off and for trackdays.
Stock seat is great for hanging off, but hard as a rock. I have a BMW with a comfort seat for long distance. ;)

·
Registered
788 Posts
If you live anywhere close enough for it to make sense, Corbin offers a custom fitting program where you visit their shop in Hollister, get assigned one guy who builds your seat from the pan up. A little shorter here? A little taller there? More padding for the tush? Custom colors/leathers/piping? You get 'The Works'. I've done this three times and have been very pleased each time. And the best part is that they'll buy you lunch in the "Corbin Cafe" (or whatever it's called), excellent burgers and shakes. All this for the price of a stock seat ordered on the internet.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts