Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've been shopping around for a used 2009 or 2010 M1100S for quite a while now but with no luck. I haven't been able to find one for sale.

Recently, I've been thinking that maybe it would be a better idea to pick up a non-S 1100 and just buy aftermarket Ohlins suspension for it? I've heard that the Ohlins on the S model is pretty low end regardless and the lower end stuff from the Ohlins dealer is much better anyways.

Any thoughts or comments?

·
Registered
110 Posts
I had an '09 1100 (non S) and never messed with the suspension; I wanted to, but just never got around to it.. I traded it in this summer for a '12 1100evo and as part of the purchase, I bit the bullet and bought the Ohlins rear (DU-737) shock with it. They had to re-spring it for my weight, which was included with the purchase price. I had the rear installed at my 600 mile service, and then proceeded to put 7500 miles on it over the next 36 days. Was it worth it? HELL YA! the difference was insane.

At the same time, I was still running the stock fork crap (Im sorry, but the stock forks simply suck). As part of the purchase price, I paid an estimated amount to buy an Ohlins cartridge kit for the bike, plus labor (we over estimated the price just in case). I knew I wouldnt get it in time for the trip, but upon further investigation, we (dealership and I) found out that Ohlins does not, nor do they have any plans to make a cartridge kit for the 1100evo. As a result, we switched and contacted RaceTech, who was willing to do it, but needed my forks to do the R&D on the cartridge kit. Well, I got back at the begining of Sept, and while the bike was getting the 7500 mile service, I had them send the forks out to Racetech; I got the call today, my forks arrived back at the dealer. Cant speak to how they will feel yet, but if its anything like the rear was, it should be impressive.

While I was on my trip, I went to both Laguna and Indy GP's. I got the opportunity to talk to the Ohlins rep at Laguna in length. Ironically, he was the one my dealer had spoken to, so he was well aware of my situation. He explained their situation, and why there wouldn't be a cartridge kit for the 1100evo. He was very nice about it, and even suggested contacting Racetech (which I explained we did, and they were going to handle it).

I also got to talk to Lee Parks regarding a friends 1198s, and the Ohlins that come with it. My friend wanted to know the best "bang for the buck" regarding his suspension. I was told that, yes those kits that come on the bikes are built to a price point. The externals are top notch, but you would gain some improvements by upgrading the internals. He suggested re-springing to correct weight, re-valve, and use the appropriate oil. It would take a good setup and make it great (in his opinion).

I got lots of info this summer (plus rode lots of miles!) and hope my long winded answer helps a little. Upgrading will help you. You might be better off just finding a decent cartridge kit for your forks, and spend the $$ to get the Ohilns rear since its easily available. Its worth the $$ if you can swing it!

P.S. I had a Hypermotard, and the front forks totally sucked. I spent the $$ and upgraded to the GP Suspension cartridge kits. It was well worth it, which is why when I got my 1100evo, I didnt think twice, skipped the normal upgrades, and spent my $$ on suspension :)

·
Registered
545 Posts
barkertodd, how was it with the new front suspension ?

·
Registered
110 Posts
barkertodd, how was it with the new front suspension ?
Sadly, I dont know yet... The dealer called me Thursday. There was a cosmetic issue with the forks, and Racetech offered to correct the problem so they shipped them back on Friday. Going to be 2-3 weeks before I get a chance to ride it. Sadly, the rain has arrived here in Oregon, and the weather is turning cold. I might get to "ride" it once its back, but I wont get to really push the forks still springtime. While I do have ABS and Traction Control, I'd rather not test them on wet/muddy/mossy country roads around here :D

·
Registered
33 Posts
"Barkertodd" what did you feel was the shortcoming of the stock Sachs rear shock ? I'm also considering a new rear shock Ohlins or Penske double clicker. The Ohlins replacement for the 1100 EVO still does not have compression damping adjustment. You stated it required a spring change for your weight. May I inquire of you personal weight ?

·
Registered
110 Posts
I don't want to imply that Sachs is a bad shock, rather it was a cost vs reward analysis for me. I had a resprung Sachs on my hyper and it was fine. For the hyper it made sense to respring it. It costs roughly $250 to respring the Sachs ($100 for new spring, $250 for removal, labor, install, etc) while an Ohlins shock for the hyper was $1800 plus labor. At the same time, I have a friend who swears by the Ohlins setup on his 1198s and how much better it was over his stock 1198. He road the hyper, he knew what the Sachs felt like, and promised I'd see a huge difference in feel with an Ohlins on the monster. For the monster, it was a choose between $250 (simple respring) and $650 (ohlins) basically. On top of that, the cost to respring the Ohlins was part of the price of the unit. I took a chance and went for it.

With gear, I'm at 230, and I ran a givi top box too for my trip which was about another 20 lbs. I never had my 09 resprung and I knew it. THe ride always felt overly soft, and I got in the habit of "lifting" off the seat for bumps, or rough road to help absorb the effects. Even with the Sachs on the hyper I had to because it just didn't react quick enough to feel smooth. The first time with the Ohlins setup on my 12 monster, I rode through a rough section of road, and realized the suspension was working the way it should, and the bikes rear end felt amazing. The front forks still wallowed as expected but the rear felt like it was glued to the road. My understanding is, once Ohlins knows your ridin weight and riding style, they have a massive selection of springs to utilize to get the ride as good as possible. All I know is, it was totally worth it for me :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
"Barkertodd" Thanks ! I weigh about 175 w/gear and feel the Sachs is way to stiff. I only have a few turns in on the spring preload adjuster for proper suspension sag. I also experience some "bum lifting" over extreme rough roads surface. I'm not sure if a spring change is a positive return on the Monsters Sachs shock. I cannot find anybody who can tell me what the stock spring rate is. Thanks JPJ

1 - 7 of 7 Posts