Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Aftermarket Multistrada Fairing?

11K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  ddgp 
Funny the maker identifies the OE screen as not being popular, but doesn't provide why its unpopular. Further, they don't make any claims on what their screen does, is it purely cosmetic?

From the looks of it they are trying to block wind blast. However, high screens can encourage wind buffeting. The flat 04 Multistrada windscreen did a good job minimizing wind buffeting. I wonder if the screen is too low? You don't want to be forced to look through it. Looking through a windscreen sucks, especially after getting hammered by bugs and contending with reflection as well. The ideal screen position is just below eye level, that way the wind up and over the screen and back. By the time it gets to you the wind blast is going just over the front of your helmet, being that the helmet in itself is like a piece of bodywork. Similar to the top of a car's windshield where it connects with the roof. The wind climbs up and over the windshield, the upper windshield playing the role like a helmet would.

Seems to me since the windscreen is high such as it is they were trying to stop wind blast by saying higher is better. I found that wind doesn't react the same on a given windscreen design, depending on the sitting position and build of the rider, its different from case to case. The pictured screen may work well for one person, but not so with another. Having an effective windscreen on the Ducati Multistrada is a tough assignment. You don't get such high involvement and concern over wind protection with a run of the mill superbike, its hardly ever mentioned. In many ways the combination of the seating position and the windscreen design on a sport bike makes for a better screen than what you would find on a Multistrada. Obviously, being leaned over tucked somewhat behind the screen in the first place certainly helps. If you need to create more wind protection you simply exagerate the normal sitting position, which means you eventually wine up with your chest on the tank and just the top portion of your helmet protruding above the windscreen. In a wind tunnel the artificial smoke flows up and over the windscreen then up and over the rider's helmet, kind of a double bump. Its not that way sitting behind the windscreen of a Multistrada. First of all, its not a race bike, its a sport tour bike designed for long rides with performance capability (trellis frame, Showa or Ohlins suspension). Being a long distance capable bike we all know the correct position is not the race position, its a more upright position. This is the logical and accepted sitting position. The problem is while sitting in this position, unlike a sport bike, its very difficult to have a windscreen that not only redirects wind, but stops wind buffeting as well. There are many windscreen designs other than stock that are available, however, like many products the feedback is inconsistant. Its really a perplexing issue.

At this time in my opinion there are two screens available that have good feedback, the MRA Vario windscreen and the DP Max Protection touring windscreen. I personally have the MRA after trying the ZG touring screen (looks great, doesn't work) and so far I'm very pleased with the product. It has an adjustable top spoiler and is made of high quality materials. It is excellent stopping wind buffeting, but for my build its OK with wind blockage/deflection. However, in terms of wind blockage the air you do get hit with is smooth air since it isn't buffeted air. This is a great help.

To find the right windscreen takes persistance and time. It would be a pleasant surprise if the screen featured here is the solution, but I don't think do. Finding a screen that works is a hugh relief, without this relief wind blast and buffeting wears on you and is super annoying.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.